S4 B8 - keyless access fails after 1 minute, after car battery change

Ted_S4

Since the car battery was changed a few weeks ago:

both keyfobs work remotely (so the car is recognising the keys fine)

keyless access works within the first minute after locking

after that 1 minute keyless access does not work at all

The new car battery clearly has a good charge.

Help!

Hi its possible that when the battery was changed and coded that there was a voltage drop which has caused the keyless entry settings to go into a default setting, this can be cured using VCDS and going into the body control functions and extending the duration times for keyless entry.

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ted_S4 said:

Thanks. What's the best way to get a cable and VCDS software?

Ted

Hi Ted they just released a new version of OBD 11which I believe covers

a lot of these functions and is less than half the price of VCDS, have a look on their website and either call the help line or email them telling them what you want to do they are very helpful.

Steve.

Gareth, Steve... thanks. I should point out, I know NOTHING.🙂

I'm reasonably competent wit I.T., but I don't know anything about what cables/devices are needed to connect, or what software or websites I should be looking at. Is OBD11 a RossTech product? I did a quick search for VCDS/OBD11 and got loads of hits for devices/software ranging from £15 to £500...??? ...Amazon, eBay ... and some stuff that requires "credits" to cary out certain operations... to me, it's just a minefield.

I spent a couple of hours at my independent (the one who replaced the car battery). The mechanic tried recoding the battery several times with no success. He didn't seem to have any clue about how to fix the specific problem. The gadget he was using showed a fault on the left-rear door handle touch sensor. His final decision was that this fault might be preventing keyless from working. The suggestion then being that I fork out £98 + VAT + Labour for the sensor replacement, not being totally sure that this would fix the keyless access problem.

If you've the patience, a little more detailed help would be appreciated. Thanks again. 

Hello Ted,

Many thanks for the clarification that your car repairing abilities amount to zero - no problem, it’s just that you have to now give up trying to self diagnose the cause of the issue. It’s a bit like going to the doctor and tell him what is causing your particular pain.

It this were mine, I would be finding myself another independent, since you are not impressed with this one’s knowledge. Cutting to the chase, even if you do manage to diagnose the cause, and you instruct someone to change component x, you will obviously be picking up the tab even if it does not rectify the problem. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I'm not saying that my abilities are zero. I don't have knowledge of the best way to get hold of the correct equipment/software to change settings on a S4 B8 (2010) computer - that's what I've come to the forum for 🙂.

I assumed that I would need a cable, which I would connect to a Windows laptop USB port and have some software that would talk to the car. It seems that the latest recommendation is to buy a Bluetooth gadget and run software on an Android platform. I would prefer the former, but I'm happy to go with any "good value" solution. 

Can anyone advise me on such a solution AND a reliable source for that solution? Thanks.

Ted