Q5 Hybrid fails to charge on timer, poor range on electric

Ray Solihull

I bought this car new in October 2020, so just over 1 year old now with 10,500 miles on the clock. The car itself is lovely and I have to say that this is our 5th new Audi on the trot.

However! When the car was sold to me I was told that a full charge provided the potential of a 32 mile range. I get that this is impacted by how you drive the car and what gadgets are operating when you are driving the car. Until now, I have always charged it overnight off a 13amp socket with set on/off times through the mobile app. On a full overnight charge of some 7hrs, The car stops the charging showing 100% charge but I have never achieved more than about 21-23 miles range displayed on the dash when I get in the car in the morning. Now this is before I drive it, so I am realistically achieving 15-17 miles range on average.

I raised this concern with the dealer straight away and they didn’t seem to get what I was saying, they kept harping on about the range depending on how you drive the car. This issue is before I even drive off the drive. So maybe a battery efficiency or charging issue? Or they are just plain lying about the range achievable, In the end I just gave up on it.

A more annoying issue however is that I have recently installed a 7.5kw car charger at home (my wife bought a new Kia Niro EV) so it makes sense that I start to charge my Q5 on this gadget. WRONG! I cannot get the Audi mobile app to accept the same settings to charge the car on a timer. The only way I can use the new high power charger is to charge the car as soon as I plug it. I cannot get it to work off the app overnight, which is costing me more money as I am unable to use the white meter overnight rate.

I have gone back to the 13amp plug and this works off the mobile app fine, but again only 21-23 miles on a full charge. The Kia has no issues charging from the new 7.5kw unit and I have to say that when the Q5 needs replacing I will be looking at Kia for it’s replacement.

Yesterday I took the car to Listers Audi in Solihull who had it all day, and apparently ‘we can’t find a fault, it worked off our chargers’ Yes I know it does, but the timer does not work!!!!

This is a bit of a saga but I wanted people who read it to get the full detail before comparing it to issues they may have experienced. I looked on the US Audi owners forum and this seems to be a fairly common issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how was it resolved, if at all?

I have no direct experience but I have a couple of thoughts. 

Does the new charging unit work besides the timer element? I guess that there are no compatibility issues - but it might be worth checking with the installer / manufacturer regarding the set up ? 

Can you try it out on a 3rd party charger - car park / supermarket? Does it charge OK and give better range? 

Regarding range, much like mpg, manufacturers claim numbers much higher than you will normally achieve. In this instance (as with so much of our renewable sources) it will be based on a calculation of the theoretical full capacity with no allowance for losses and inefficiencies. Temperature, the local terrain and number of passengers will also affect the range. 

Either way - it's best to ensure that the problem is logged with your dealer just in case it turns out to be a later known issue. 

• Like 1

Hello Ray,

Just to eliminate any confusion in my dotage, can you confirm that your Audi will only convey you approx. 15 to 17 miles from a fully charged battery? Surely not. 
I’m having difficulty in getting my head around that, since it is barely a trip to Tesco in these rural parts! - and certainly won’t get you to the next motorway services! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Magnet and Shytot for your comments.

In answer to Magnet, yes I am only getting that sort of mileage, because the battery is only charging up to about 21-23miles regularly on a full charge, so when you factor traffic conditions, battery usage with air con etc, I am lucky to get this sort of miles. I have never ever had the battery charge to anywhere near the 32miles quoted by Audi. If it did ever charge to the figure of 32 miles, I would realistically expect to get around 21-23 when driving. But the car has never charged to that. 
Shytot, thanks for your feedback. The car will charge from the new EV charger that we have installed, but not on the timer. It will not activate a charge overnight as it does when being charged on the 13amp plug and if I send the car an instruction via the App it just comes back with an error and times out.

Audi dealers confirm that it will charge off their EV chargers, but they have not tried to do it through the App.

And that’s that as far as they are concerned. They clearly can afford to lose customers that have bought Audis repeatedly, because I shall certainly look elsewhere when this comes up for replacement.

F83144CF-1BF5-45FA-B6B2-42C91683ACE9.jpeg

B5857319-D7C3-4C32-8A9A-2F0DA1FB9997.jpeg

Sounds like the app is the issue for the timer - I've had issues with the app v the website login regarding my location (the website had me in Canada!) so your time zone could be wrong (tenuous I know). 

Also googling your error code got this

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-232/dreaded-vehicle-cannot-reached-error-3005616/page2/

Might be worth a try as long as you have your 10 digit code. 

Thanks Ray,

Yes, appreciate it’s a hybrid, but the ‘alternative fuel’ only able to take you less than half a gallon’s worth of fuel? My environmentally friendly hat would be coming off for a few seconds, while I do the mental arithmetic bit of working out how much alternative energy (and cost) is expended to travel this silly extra distance. 

My other (silly?) comment would be that I bet - with careful driving - you could coast that additional distance (at zero energy cost) over a tank full of fuel. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I am a new Q5 hybrid owner. Reading your issues Ray. My Q5 did once show 31 mile pure ev range in the UK, but now shows less. I am wondering if this is because it learns what it did yesterday as well as optimism on the part of Audi. By 'yesterday', I am currently in the Alps, well below 0c at night, significant use of heating and steep hills. I will be interested to see what it achieves pure ev in UK come the spring.

The app is crap. The handbook suggests you only charge to 80% when on short journeys. They give you no way of stopping the charge via the app at 80%. The way I do it is when I see it around 80% to switch it over to charge on the timer. I currently have one of the timers set for 6 weeks hence. The timer does work for me. Looking at your picture Ray, I wonder if your app is up to date. It looks very slightly different. It sometimes does not work if I plug into the car before putting the 13 amp socket on.

One question. On a long journey in 'intelligent' mode it will take the battery to zero. Is this how it is meant to work?

So far I am not impressed with the hybrid aspect. As Magnet said, a lot of Pfaff for not much gain, but we will see.

Hi Ray and Stephen,

Which TFSIe do you have?  I have the 2020 55 Competition.

Things i know affect battery.  Fully charged, if you put the heating on 21+ degrees, your range is reduced because heating the car uses alot of power, especially with the cold weather around lately.  I keep mine about 19C, and that is okay for me.  I'm getting about 18 miles on EV on the motorways (70+ mph, where allowed 😉 ).  But i get about 22-23 on A roads (55-60mph).  I've even had it as high as 25 on A roads in warmer weather doing about 50mph (not my fault for going slow).

I've also read that every time you start the car from 'cold' the battery has to preheat in cold weather.  Again, your range will be reduced.  So if you do 8 miles to the shops, stop for 1 hour, and 8 miles back home, the battery would have warmed up twice if that makes sense.

I don't think the 2020 Q5's ever did 30 miles on EV.  I think maybe the A3 etron can do this as it is a lighter car and no quattro?  Dealer definitely lied on this i think.  Not sure the 2022 Q5's can achieve this either, but maybe wrong.

I also think your app is out of date?  Have you checked the MMI to check the timer is definitely correct?  The app and MMI should sync up.  When you plug in the type 2, does the scheduled charge button light up, and the main indicator flash green?  If so, you should be good to go.

No need to charge to 80% and stop, that is crazy.  Like all modern batteries and software, the battery is automatically software limited on the top and bottom end.  You'll see in manuals that your battery capacity is around 17KWH, but have you noticed you can only charge up from 0-100% about 12-13KWH?  The extra capacity is held at the top and bottom range of the battery so you don't 'kill' the battery.  This is the same with mobile phones too.

Hope that helps.

Just to add

"One question. On a long journey in 'intelligent' mode it will take the battery to zero. Is this how it is meant to work?"

If you set a route in the AUDI MMI (not in android auto / carplay), the hybrid will try to use ALL the battery by the end of your journey.  Whether it be a 30 miles journey or 200 miles, it will try to use it 'wisely' and predictively.

Hi Joe,  Its a 2022 50. You made an interesting post. My experience is extreme and only 1340 miles on the clock. Over 1000 of those in one two day journey to the Alps. So its cold here and energy going to warm the battery makes sense though despite an ambient temperature of -6C it is happy to set off in EV mode. Q. I have around that is when you tell it to warm the car (to melt the frost) does it know to warm the battery? Also, when plugged in does it take from the battery or from the charger? Short journeys here with lights, wipers, seats, heater to go to town and an 800' climb to get home are using masses of the battery. Use around home in England seemed reasonable though not 30 miles per charge.

One thing you said, "No need to charge to 80% and stop, that is crazy. " Yes it is crazy, but it is what the handbook says to do if you can. I don't have the book to hand but possibly P 294. The even crazier thing is the App does not give you an option to do that. What I do if I see it close to 80% is tell it to continue on the timer which is set for a date in March.

JMKC82. Yes, on the two days travelling here both times it ended with zero in the battery. It clearly does better with a route entered even if you know the journey. Yes, its a nice but very peculiar car. I am far from convinced it is any cheaper to run than a diesel though.  Electricity has a cost but its not easy to know how much went in unlike petrol/diesel. Early days.

IMG_20220201_100953384.jpg

Hello All,

Please excuse the cynical viewpoint, but cutting to the chase, what is the point of investing wallet frightening sums in these hybrids ( mongrels?) to gain silly additional mileages under battery power, when you are likely to achieve the same increase in distance by freewheeling where possible over a tank full of fuel!? 
Someone mentioned the ‘range benefit’ achieved by turning the heating down! Wonderfully progressive. I have a couple of cars which are over 80 years old - obviously no heater - and I need to put on a suitable driving coat in cold weather - no problem. Perhaps these hybrids should be sold with optional extras of heavy clothing, and we can move up the progress ladder and order such useful extras rather than the smart S line bits and pieces. 
Thank goodness for our humble 16 year old A3! 
Apologies and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Stephen, the pre-climate control is going to be good for you 🙂.  Defrost the car whilst you're still having a coffee inside.  I believe this also pre-heats all the motor (i think) and battery, so worth doing if you're looking for better EV range.  This comes direct from the cable when plugged in (don't know if scheduled charge or immediate charge makes a difference).

No problem with driving the car without pre-heating the battery, etc.  Just like driving a normal ICE car from cold, it just won't be efficient until everything is up to temperature.

With using the sat nav on the MMI, i personally find it a pain.  I've ended up at a destination with no battery and no where to charge.  And on my return home, it is just the ICE which isn't so efficient on its own.  Generally on long journeys i stick it in Hybrid mode and use android auto with google maps & waze (in the background).

My old A4 2.0 tdi (2017) was much better on economy 50-60mpg, but more fun with this Q5, and great around traffic when you have battery capacity.

I'm off snowboarding in March, so you've really got me in the mood 😄

Hi Gareth,

You are totally correct.  Not for everyone!  Let's just forget about price for now.  It is just like choosing between petrol and diesel, big engine or small engine.  you pick the car that is suitable for you.

People who do short runs daily this would be great (school runs and shopping trips, sorry to be stereotypical).  I do just over 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back home, so ideal for me (even with heating, it only just makes it on EV).  Charge off-peak (7p/KWH) and free at work (bonus).  Works around 2p per mile, beat that.  YEP - electricity charges going up 😞.  This is what happened to diesels, ahhhhh.

Okay, i have to admit, it isn't for everyone, and long trips at 32mpg petrol/hybrid isn't great, but it is the enjoyment of the car.

Don't by a Ferrari if you're gonna complain about the MPG.  Buy the car that suits you.

Joe,thanks for your reply.

" I believe this also pre-heats all the motor (i think) and battery, so worth doing if you're looking for better EV range.  This comes direct from the cable when plugged in (don't know if scheduled charge or immediate charge makes a difference)."

I doubt it pre heats the electric motor since there would be no benefit but its a big help to the battery as you say.

"With using the sat nav on the MMI, i personally find it a pain.  I've ended up at a destination with no battery and no where to charge.  And on my return home, it is just the ICE which isn't so efficient on its own.  Generally on long journeys i stick it in Hybrid mode and use android auto with google maps & waze (in the background)."

Yes, coming down here on the first day I drove 500 miles (autoroute) and ended with a completely discharged battery, no way to charge it and a frosty night. The second day another 500 (autobahn) and about 200 miles in, it was showing 25%, but again ended at zero. Fortunately I could plug it in. Locally I drive it in EV mode, but on long journeys like these, intelligent/hybrid mode. It puzzles me why it did charge to 25% and then let it all go.

I have been setting up Waze/Android Auto on the big screen and the Audi maps behind the steering wheel since I think it needs that, running in intelligent/hybrid mode to be efficient. Do you plug your phone in or can it run on bluetooth for Waze? So far I have only had success with it pluged in to the socket under the arm rest, not bluetooth or the socket forward of the gear lever. Even then it (Waze) freezes a lot.

Yes, the pre heating is invaluable.

RE the snowboarding I consider that 'the darkside', but since you have a Q5 I will let you off! 😂 Have fun!

Steve.

PS Even in hybrid mode with the battery showing zero I find the ICE will cut out at times and run on the battery.

Correction, i think it is ICE pre-heating.  Engine pre-heat with auxiliary heater is an option in my OBD11.  I'm assuming there is some sort of function of the car, and this will reduce the range if that happens.  Not tried it, or have any other info.

I guess with 25% battery left, the MMI wasn't detecting any traffic or slow routes/roads, so allowed you to use the rest of the battery for the last 200 miles.  You've done well 75% over 200 miles.

My car doesn't support wireless android auto (newer models do i think).  Works fine plugged in (arm rest 2 USB, and 1 in front of the gear stick), but just a pain with an extra cable.  I bought this, waiting for delivery.  I can't give any feedback yet https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/carsifi-wireless-android-auto-adapter#/

Other option is https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

I've had the same situation with battery on 0%, but will travel a little on EV without the ICE, if you feather the throttle - normally driving into the housing estate or into work's car park.

• 1 year later...

Similar issue with my Q5 TFSIe 55 2022 version. Off the loader with 39 miles of range (out of 40 max). Home charging via 13A plug and range dropped consistently to 18 miles at most. Turning off all ac/ heating / electrical controls brings it up to 23. 

Worse part is public charges won’t work - at all. Tried different ClenergyEV charging points, Pod Points, and ensured no charging schedule was set.

maybe a faulty charging cable, or simply faulty charging components - both hardware (cable) and software (car electronics. 

Edited by Peter Thomas

• 11 months later...

Yes I also have problems with my Q3 hybrid which I bought new in May 23.  My app says that the battery is fully charged and when I turn the car on it only shows 15miles! Before I used to get  up to 25miles but now i only get 15! Very disappointing as I love the car. 
Mike in London 

Mike, I think the car assumes you will use the car on the next trip like you did on the last. So, if the heating etc is on on the last trip it reduces the predicted range on the next. Also I have not worked out if pre heating the cabin it also preheats the battery. If it does that would also help the range. These things matter to me since I am back in the mountains with an overnight temp forecast to be -14C tonight.

What I have worked out is that if you are on an out and return trip of say 50 miles it is worth telling the car that your final destination is close to home with a stop over at the 25 mile destination. On auto hybrid it is far more economic. Otherwise it plans to let you arrive at the 25 mile destination with an EMPTY battery. Why they don't have an option 'and return' defeats me. Also why don't they put in an addendum for hybrid owners. The handbook I got 2 years ago made me think I should advise the car to stop charging at 80%. That actually applies to the full electric.

This is my first Audi! The car is good but the support crap.