Oil consumption a1 1.4 tfsi 2013 reg

Mav

Just wondering if it is normal to use  half a ltr in just over a thousand miles I’ve only had the car just over 3 months  with 26k on it full Audi  history  

Just realised it could be the dealer where I bought it from as i  had taken it back last week due to what I thought was timing chain rattle they said it didn’t rattle that’s the sound of the engine on first start up for few seconds  oh and we’ve topped your oil up by half litre in which I said to him I thought it had oil and filter 3 months ago when I bought it he said yeh yeh these audi and vw burn oil a lot  anyway I’ve just checked the dipstick and they’ve over filled it it’s gone right past the full marker so I’m now wondering if it did need oil after all. We’re they topping it up to justify they’ve actually done something when I’ve taken the car back  for inspection on chain rattle my engine code is the caxa I can’t find any heavy oil consumption threads on that code  sorry for the long post 

Hello Peter,

Under the old school of car ownership - for which I am a full paid up member!- you must check your oil every 1000 miles maximum, and at any point before you undertake an unusually longer journey than normal. Same for coolant level, and tyre pressures. You would not be allowed to put your faith in warning lights to tell you when you need to add oil. 
Check oil level, only on level ground, and after the car has stood for at least 2 hours. 
It sounds as if the dealer checked the oil when hot and added some when it wasn’t really necessary. 
You now need to regularly check it (when cold) and monitor any oil usage over a specific mileage travelled. 
Don’t worry about anything, until you have proved you have something to worry about. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks  for your comments I totally agree  the car has 26k with full Audi history  I’m going to check every 2 weeks  oil level  and re post on here middle of December with level results 

Just to put it out there I bought the car from car shop Warrington  there your best mates one of the family  if your buying. But when your taking it back  it’s a different story  the sales guy that sold it me wouldn’t look at me   Even my Mrs said he’s just put his head down pretending he’s on his computer  when I went to collect the car from the service area  

The car was going in for inspection of timing chain rattle which they said they couldn’t hear which on hearing other 1.4 tfsi engines on you tube I’m going to agree with the car shop on this one  my gripe is that told me a master technician had looked at my car and he knew what he was. On about. So why did a master tech  over fill my oil 

Perhaps in hindsight Peter, this might have appeared to be a major cause for concern and criticism at the time, but in the end, it all seems to have worked out OK, except someone added a little too much oil because he checked the level when hot.
I don’t wish to defend them, but simply clarify the (hopefully?) full story, so other members can form their own conclusions on Car Shop’s business, to add to the experience which caused you to be dissatisfied. 

Good luck and I trust you continue to enjoy the car.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Did they/ you drain the excess oil out as if it's way over it could cause an issue (blow seals out, etc)? if it's just over it shouldn't be a problem

Check the oil filter to see if it's a genuine one as it has full Audi service history, if it's an aftermarket one then it would have been replace by the carshop but if it's genuine and doesn't look new then they probably didn't change it - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203549295447?fits=Car+Make%3AAudi|Cars+Year%3A2013|Model%3AA1&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f647bc357:g:SlMAAOSwIUVhC5Yy&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSjVt3vLKCbov98Z19qhuwY1RXO2eBYFVCZPDCSVZ1f9mgjnOQnye0ESvEVa3hd6KRtbzmiRBYjhhPB4yH7FhA52l4BUGbcMxlGrbuE5FRStKipc46kjC5k5C91vRTdxTuOkfvzzyF5iUiozYNn3scuB5pPF1sjuhCWmTmfYbSekBhT5msP%2FYeNjvJFgy3oK7xkSG2edMKZ757DcgxVG2vUtikYs39APrIsgskCKZiX9Hx67KgPCFIwewgDvv7sVCSLIWZDi99k6nm7bacwBu4Irs1MEdQsrpv5oywdzGFwMXmxGQqBEEcpLqUA4SCrXN51HUE0fwge%2Bgrn4CBVCGOCapyXwfV%2F1nSxomjvOEPLTDOLt%2Fbk%2FGiG%2BuEkYhcvEPMLPAfYrXUMDJQHtlBjrLFqiqMRlIZ5uRIYu%2BFbqJwOiLS8pXKgdDuJkNMaSHN%2FtgoV9CsgOf4IYl489E9lN%2BAT2xMJ4u0ru12RbUsq1SGFaFBkp%2FQMkZX7z%2FGLI9MyLo9Ewqjpfzbj8THygJ407QAUC%2F79b4ODn%2FfxmwHEACeMSNJXA6sikyEns2F1StiH3%2Fy9v6I0L4zlcMAZZZ3hJO6jTrEqSGX8MC%2Fxm4azwoQKLC3qcuSUNCSOW%2FaaDVEsz%2FnecspzGFX%2FfETC5eC3uKsl0ZCbueDFd1ETl0Luy4fNB5qt%2F8AyTyp%2BQG%2FBIjGTqyh9DVLYDmVYi%2FORb0NKYulOVcNuekBWBqTq%2FvrLxFSTmJOX83aGsvbkEy8W6ud4KW6sffs3BLeMZLvH%2FzregCN3G%2F1TEOz62kdYcnO%2BpO9icIDEMKg5Xt87rXq42TdmRBAyeE%2Fl0eM2h7Y6dGAzbCJ2Q%3D%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMxMr65Zdf

The oil filter is a man probably placed by the car shop  not sure if it’s a genuine Audi filter I’ve not got a clue about cars hence why I’m on the Audi forum for advice. And no I’ve not drained the excess  oil. But I know it’s right up to the orange bung on end of dipstick 

Hello Peter,

A Mann filter will be a fine alternative to a ‘genuine Audi’ one - which will probably have been supplied by Mann anyway. 
Sorry, but I’m not at all clear from your description where your level is currently at. 
Have you consulted your handbook and compared the dipstick level (taken cold) with that showing as Max. in the handbook. 
Appreciating what has been said about the perils of excessively high oil levels, we would be talking ‘excessively’ over the max/full mark rather than slightly over it. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

15 hours ago, Mav said:

. But I know it’s right up to the orange bung on end of dipstick 

So the level when the engine is cold is all the way up the metal part of the dipstick to the bottom of the plastic handle? - if so get some drained out as it's wayyy over the max mark

To be completely sure of our facts here Rob, I think we have to give Peter an opportunity of finally clarifying the accurate current level compared with the handbook stated level. Anything else before that is ‘suggesting’ what the oil level actually is. 
If it proves to be (grossly?) over the max./full mark, then yes it will require to be reduced, and if this were mine, I would take the opportunity of fostering a good relationship with a trusted local garage - where the oil level can be reduced , and who would be prepared to service the car for you from now on. 

For Peter,

When you say this 8 year old 26k miles car has full Audi service history, how often has it been serviced in that 8 years? Also what will be your anticipated annual mileage? 
I ask this since it would be helpful to know how to set its service requirement going forward. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth it’s had the Audi long life service plan some services it’s gone 2 years and others it’s been done 1 year as regards my annual mileage I don’t do more than 4K tops 4.5 k a year I only got to work and back and local short journeys  cheers Pete 

Hi thats just a tad overfilled I would  leave it and see how fast goes down over the next couple of weeks, as for master technician thats a title thats invented for the guy thats been there the longest, as for the full Audi service history my daughters Q3 had the same and have a look at the air filter I pulled out of it, it has the same date as the car was built stamped down the side of it, my advice find a decent independent garage to look after your car.

Steve.

IMG_20211010_154244_resized_20211010_054943290.jpg

IMG_20211010_154302_resized_20211010_055046072.jpg

Hello Peter,

I too would not be overly concerned, and would just monitor any consumption over the next month or couple of months. 
Many thanks for the service history detail. A car which was covering less than 4K miles a year should never have been  on a Longlife schedule, but should have been on an annual service programme - as it should be from now on with your anticipated usage. 
It’s understandable to believe that a car which only covers this low mileage does not need its oil changed that frequently, but such short distance usage is not good for a vehicle, since it barely get up to optimum operating g temperature. 
If it were mine, I think I would treat its last service as if it never existed - see Steve’s experience above - and get it serviced with new oil, air and pollen filters ( insist on Mann filters and you won’t go wrong) and use Quantum Longlife oil. You will then have a confirmed basing point to go forward with. Have it service every year with a new oil filter, and new air and pollen filters every two years. 
A bit of an overkill? Some may understandably say -yes - but treat them well and they will hopefully serve you well. 
Find yourself a good trusted local garage, and even have an arrangement with them where you supply the parts. 
Apologies for the bit of a ramble Peter, but hope some of it helps. 
Some would say full main dealer service history is king - but out of warranty, I prefer to entrust servicing to local mechanics who you can actually talk with mrather than service receptionists. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth  would you say the over fill I mentioned and shown on dipstick would the .5 ltr be up to where I said  the bottom of the orange part on dipstick or do you think it did need topping up with .5 ltr 

Ah mine (2017my) doesn't have that part on the dipstick it's just the metal part right up to the handle - that's what i was thinking your was (hence my concern).

I picked up my car 2 weeks ago, drove it 60 miles home and it's been sat in my garage since - spent a few days giving it a full detail and paint protection ready for winter (just bought a set of new alloys with winter tyres ready), did all my checks and found my car has just had new discs + pads F+R, 4 new tyres (budgets 😒 ) and a full service (new filters fitted) so hope it'll be ok for another year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mav said:

Thanks Gareth  would you say the over fill I mentioned and shown on dipstick would the .5 ltr be up to where I said  the bottom of the orange part on dipstick or do you think it did need topping up with .5 ltr 

Hi quite possibly but I have found that unless you know for certain which oil they used, it may have been fleet oil when serviced and this inherently burns as it is made as a low SAPS [Ash oil] for multiple vehicles and is non specific a bit like one size fits all, a lot of garages use this it just burns a bit quicker than say Quantum or Mannol.

Steve.