Buying my first Audi

the_mup

Hi,

I'm in Ireland and I've just been to test drive a UK-Imported 2015 A6 Avant S-Line 190PS 2.0TDI Ultra Automatic. I'm not familiar with Audi's and I'm struggling to figure out if it has a Multitronic CVT or S-Tronic DSG. Google wasn't helping, so I thought I would ask here.

Before test driving the car the sales person told me it was a Multitronic gearbox. Then during the test drive I felt that the car was a bit hesitant in the gear changes, being used to manuals, and only having ever driven a DSG once, I put this down to the car being a Multitronic CVT going through the virtual gears. After the test drive I really liked the car, but I said I would try to find an S-Tronic DSG instead as I assumed that would be even better.

So I've done a bit of research, and I read in a few places that the 190PS Ultra was only ever sold as an S-Tronic. And that DSG's can feel a little bit hesitant at low speeds, which is where i felt the hesitation. I rang the sales person, and he said he'd double check with a mechanic in their workshop. He calls me back and says "Nope, the mechanic says it's definitely 100% a multitronic gearbox". I asked him how many gears does it have, and he said "Well multitronic has eight gears so eight". But i don't remember seeing the car reach an 8th gear during the test drive, so he could be just saying that without actually checking. I said I had an Audi UK brochure from 2015, and it doesn't list any 2ltr diesel Multitronic A6's in its lineup, they're all listed as S-Tronic. He replied "It's a really early 2015 reg, so it could be a 2014 model". At that point I just left it there as he seemed adamant that it was Multitronic.

So could I be missing out on a good car here due to lack of sales knowledge? Or am I mistaken and 2015 2.0TDI Ultra A6's did really come with a multitronic gearbox? Are there any other ways of checking other than how many gears it has?

Usually I would just go view a different A6 but nice automatic estates are hard to come by in Ireland.

Edited by the_mup