Keyfob not starting car.

JonA4

Hi all,

2011 A4 Avant S Line.

I have one key that works fine. The spare key has a good battery and will unlock and lock car but when inserted in the dash there is no response whatsoever.

So I am assuming this is a transponder chip issue (the good fob will start the car without an battery in it).

Any suggestions on a fix that doesn't involve a trip to an Audi dealer?

Just to clarify, this the fob that has to be inserted in the slot in the dash, not an "advanced" key.

Thanks

18 hours ago, JonA4 said:

Hi all,

2011 A4 Avant S Line.

I have one key that works fine. The spare key has a good battery and will unlock and lock car but when inserted in the dash there is no response whatsoever.

So I am assuming this is a transponder chip issue (the good fob will start the car without an battery in it).

Any suggestions on a fix that doesn't involve a trip to an Audi dealer?

Just to clarify, this the fob that has to be inserted in the slot in the dash, not an "advanced" key.

Thanks

Hi if you look at the transponder in the duff key you should be able to buy a replacement on the internet, replacing this should not affect the keys functions as the PCB is original and the transponder only communicates with the pick up ring inside the ignition barrel.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi if you look at the transponder in the duff key you should be able to buy a replacement on the internet, replacing this should not affect the keys functions as the PCB is original and the transponder only communicates with the pick up ring inside the ignition barrel.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Is re-programming a DIY job? I have OBD2 cables for my Subaru and Alfa but never dabbled with the Audi!

22 hours ago, JonA4 said:

Thanks Steve,

Is re-programming a DIY job? I have OBD2 cables for my Subaru and Alfa but never dabbled with the Audi!

Hi I am not sure that the key fob will need reprogramming as is all you have done is reinstated the communication between the fob and the ECU which will have that key code in its memory, if it does the net is full of how to pair keys with  the car, you mentioned cables for your Alfa, I assume what you have is Multiscan I have that for my Mito, a cable for every module on the car, using it is to say the least interesting, for your Audi have a look at OBD Eleven.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brizzle said:

The other day in mine I tried using the spare key, wouldn’t open car, but first one is fine

Will the spare key only work if the other key is out of range?

Hi they should both work even in tandem range, chances are the battery in the fob has died try that first.

Steve.

7 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Karl,

Are you saying that the second remote won’t open the car, or the actual second key won’t open the lock?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Checked again tonight and the spare is working fine, must of been me 

On 10/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, Stevey Y said:

Steve.

Anyone know what would need to be done in terms of pairing or programming a replacement transponder to the car.

Presumably can't be automatic otherwise anyone could start your car with a transponder off eBay? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to buy a transponder chip and then I don't have the kit to program it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

6 hours ago, JonA4 said:

Anyone know what would need to be done in terms of pairing or programming a replacement transponder to the car.

Presumably can't be automatic otherwise anyone could start your car with a transponder off ebay? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to buy a transponder chip and then I don't have the kit to program it.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi the key coding is in the pcb inside the key, the transponder is just the medium between the pcb and the pick up ring around the ignition barrel or key recognition  point printed on the dash to the right of the climate control, no one could buy just a transponder and start your if they don't have the code thats embedded in the pcb, you might have to re pair the key but there are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to resurrect the communication, once the ECU recognises the code it will work.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi thats a bit different the transponder is that part to the left with the winding coils and the beggar is cold soldered in, if you can get the part number for your key there are loads of new un programmed  fobs on eBay for not to much money, I was expecting to see a black transponder chip wedged on the board somewhere, I have spoken to a friend who is an automotive locksmith and he said the plug in keys are a nightmare which is why later models had the key modulation from the fob rather than the key having to be physically inside what was the ignition barrel, I would consult a local car key locksmith as they may well have a solution for you, Jamie has always told me what fob to buy and where to get it from and then programmed it from the original.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats a bit different the transponder is that part to the left with the winding coils and the beggar is cold soldered in, if you can get the part number for your key there are loads of new un programmed  fobs on eBay for not to much money, I was expecting to see a black transponder chip wedged on the board somewhere, I have spoken to a friend who is an automotive locksmith and he said the plug in keys are a nightmare which is why later models had the key modulation from the fob rather than the key having to be physically inside what was the ignition barrel, I would consult a local car key locksmith as they may well have a solution for you, Jamie has always told me what fob to buy and where to get it from and then programmed it from the original.

Steve.

Good advice thanks.

I was thinking it was the bit with the coil and that is beyond my soldering skills!

will talk to a pro.

Anyone any recs in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire/south Bucks area? 

• 7 months later...

when i bought my audi a3 2008 diesal 2.00tdl it only had one key.

i decided to get a second key as a backup

this i did and also got a blade  cut to the original.

so far so good,second key opened and locked the car manually.

i then tried to pair the key with the original using suggested methods off youtube.

1/ original key in in ignition  switched on, second key in door.

2/lock door using second key

3/ press unlock on second key untill light shows once.

4/unlock and lock second key then remove master key

5/ use second key, only to get the SAFE light on dasboard.

i have tried variations as i found on youtube , but the result is always the same , locked in SAFE mode.

original key is still working.

any help would be most appreciated.

Regards Ken

• 4 months later...

Im having a problem when key is inserted and then pushed to start the car won't start unless you push it in and out fast or finger inserted into dash ignition and wiggle Ed, I think key fob is worn out or ignition box is ??