Losing water

Kyah mckenzie

Screenshot_20211029-235842_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7df559556470e0eb866423f99afeeb5.jpgHi everyone I have a 2003 2litre tdi140. I had a suspected head gasket failure. I used steel seal and it stopped the smoke but its still losing water/coolant. I replaced the cap and it retained the water for longer but its still losing it. Its not coming out of the car onto the floor. It's disappearing into the engine. Please help

Edited by Kyah mckenzie

Hi thats one of the weirdest convertibles I have ever seen, the only way to confirm if its the head gasket is to take it to a garage that has a sniffer test kit, they remove the water bottle cap and instal the device with a special liquid in it and leave the car running if the device detects any exhaust gas in the water system it changes colour.

Steve.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, cliffcoggin said:

Why the duplicate topic Kyah?

I don't understand what you mean by duplicate topic. I'm not really tech savvy and am new to this forum. My vehicle is a A4 convertible. I was enquiring about my mates A3 with the water leak

On 10/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats one of the weirdest convertibles I have ever seen, the only way to confirm if its the head gasket is to take it to a garage that has a sniffer test kit, they remove the water bottle cap and instal the device with a special liquid in it and leave the car running if the device detects any exhaust gas in the water system it changes colour.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yea my car is a A4. I was asking about my pals A3 with the water leak.

• Like 1

Just now, Kyah mckenzie said:

Thanks Steve. Yea my car is a A4. I was asking about my pals A3 with the water leak.

I put steel seal in the car and it cleared the smoke. It slowed the water loss for a while. Then it returned. I changed the expansion bottle lid as it was damaged. This also slowed it but it again returned. It doesn't smoke and runs and drives perfectly but is losing water.

1 minute ago, Kyah mckenzie said:

Hi as I said if you get a sniffer test that will prove if its the head gasket, with regard to the other thing we are nearly all old on here and are sometimes easily confused, don't take it personally.

Steve.

19 minutes ago, Kyah mckenzie said:

I don't understand what you mean by duplicate topic. I'm not really tech savvy and am new to this forum. My vehicle is a A4 convertible. I was enquiring about my mates A3 with the water leak

Well you posted the same topic with the same title and the same description on two ocaissions. Once at 11.48 and again 13 minutes later at 12.01.

1 minute ago, cliffcoggin said:

Well you posted the same topic with the same title and the same description on two ocaissions. Once at 11.48 and again 13 minutes later at 12.01.

Hi Clifford maybe the lass thought she may not have posted correctly the first time, we have all done similar things.

2 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Hahaha sorry man. I don't know what I'm pressing half the time. You should see me buying parts on eBay. On two occasions last week I bought the same part twice so I had two of each! Then it turns out it weren't even the right part anyway. I am useless on a computer