Audi A3 (2021) Software Problems

Phil JH

Purchased a new A3 TSFI e S line in September 2021 - have covered 900 miles to date. Plagued with problems from day one, including one total catastrophic  breakdown within 48 hrs of purchase and to many to mention software issues causing loss of sat nav, telephone communication and radio, numerous initialisation problems and constant SOS warnings, often several times in a single day. Getting nowhere fast with either Dealer or Audi other than being advised that a software update will be available as from 20/09/21 which has now moved to 31/12/21. In talks with Dealer who say they will support me in a “Rejection” process should the problem not be sorted by end of December. Anyone out there experienced similar issues ?

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles, you should not be having these problems and certainly not have to wait until new year for them to fix it, my personal view is that they have all bought the golf cart revolution and are just trying to get rid of what they perceive as redundant stock out of the door before they take on more of the new stock, I have met a lot of people, [cab driver] who have had various electrical problems with their Audis and most of them are under fifteen months old, its good for me for all the wrong reasons as they get cabs to work because the cars are back at the dealers for weeks sometimes, Audi are doing a first class job of destroying a hard won reputation, if that was mine it would be going back with the statement, I want a car that works, I know cars need updates to avoid future problems at around 40k but not 900 miles.

Steve.

• Like 1

Yes, we are having identical problems. It’s been almost six months now and still no sign of a fix. The car also fries, rather than charges, the phone and doesn’t always restart in one, after stopping at traffic lights etc. Audi make sympathetic noises but they shouldn’t be selling the 3 series knowing there are major issues with it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HI, just seen these posts and need to comment as follows.

I picked up a new Audi A3 40TFSIe in September 2021, at no time did anyone mention to me that there were known software issues with this car.  I have spoken to the dealer (Worthing Audi) and Audi UK CEO office and they have admitted they knew about these issues before I was sold the car.  I too have been told that a software update is being worked on in Germany but no idea when this might be available.  I am having all of the above mentioned shutdown issues, with various log in, password and pin number issues.  I have also had an occasion where the car would not open remotely, I had to prize off the plastic lock cover on the drivers door to open the car with the key, as soon as I got inside the car all the alarms started going off and miraculously the car unlocked and reset the alarm on the key fob from inside the car.  I called the dealership who told me I needed to replace the battery in the key fob which was absolute rubbish as I had just replaced it.  The key fob has worked just fine ever since on the same battery, this was 2 months ago.  Does anyone know if I have any recourse with the dealership to return the car for a full refund on the grounds it was sold not fit for purpose?

22 hours ago, Jim Roberts said:

HI, just seen these posts and need to comment as follows.

I picked up a new Audi A3 40TFSIe in September 2021, at no time did anyone mention to me that there were known software issues with this car.  I have spoken to the dealer (Worthing Audi) and Audi UK CEO office and they have admitted they knew about these issues before I was sold the car.  I too have been told that a software update is being worked on in Germany but no idea when this might be available.  I am having all of the above mentioned shutdown issues, with various log in, password and pin number issues.  I have also had an occasion where the car would not open remotely, I had to prize off the plastic lock cover on the drivers door to open the car with the key, as soon as I got inside the car all the alarms started going off and miraculously the car unlocked and reset the alarm on the key fob from inside the car.  I called the dealership who told me I needed to replace the battery in the key fob which was absolute rubbish as I had just replaced it.  The key fob has worked just fine ever since on the same battery, this was 2 months ago.  Does anyone know if I have any recourse with the dealership to return the car for a full refund on the grounds it was sold not fit for purpose?

If you bought it on finance I'd be speaking to the finance company on the grounds of not fit for purpose. With all the evidence that you were not informed of potential issues prior to purchase. 

I doubt you'll get anywhere with the dealer as it's well past the 30 days. 

• Like 2

Thank you Steve Q, the problems didn't start within the first 30 days, it has evolved over the last 4/5 months & by Audi's own admission it is caused by 5G.  Because the roll out of 5G has been greater down south, it affects the car more down here.  When I go up north, it does not happen at all because there is less 5G in the midlands.  It is getting worse by the day with more occurrences of the infotainment system drop out. Sadly I did not buy the car on finance but cash so I guess I am stuck with it.  Just need to make any potential buyers aware of the current situation with this model of Audi, they seem to be in no hurry to sort it out.

23 minutes ago, Jim Roberts said:

Thank you Steve Q, the problems didn't start within the first 30 days, it has evolved over the last 4/5 months & by Audi's own admission it is caused by 5G.  Because the roll out of 5G has been greater down south, it affects the car more down here.  When I go up north, it does not happen at all because there is less 5G in the midlands.  It is getting worse by the day with more occurrences of the infotainment system drop out. Sadly I did not buy the car on finance but cash so I guess I am stuck with it.  Just need to make any potential buyers aware of the current situation with this model of Audi, they seem to be in no hurry to sort it out.

Id still be speaking Audi and Audi customer services. But I do agree I think you're stuck with it despite Audi not giving you the information. You could always speak to trading standards, citizens advice or the motoring ombudsman. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased an Audi A3 40TFSIe in April 2021. I did not experience any major problems during the first 12 months of ownership. However on the 14th April 2022 the car had its first service at my local Audi dealership. On its return the car was pretty much broken. I can no longer select the required E/V mode i.e. Battery, Hybrid, Battery Hold, Battery Charge and there is no display on the instrument panel showing the current mode that the car is operating in. I cannot select the DAB radio or the SatNav and the MMI screen regularly displays a message saying  'Loading....Please Wait'

The car was returned to the dealer who attributed the problems to an incomplete software update and the car was returned to me in exactly the same faulty condition. A further booking was made with the dealer who promised to apply a new software release which would fix all the problems. This booking was cancelled by the dealer the day before the car was due to go to the dealership.

I now have a car that is completely unfit for purpose and have no indication of when these problem will be fixed. I have contacted Audi Customer Care but to date have received no response.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similar problems and any advice on how I can get these problems resolved will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil Dodd said:

I purchased an Audi A3 40TFSIe in April 2021. I did not experience any major problems during the first 12 months of ownership. However on the 14th April 2022 the car had its first service at my local Audi dealership. On its return the car was pretty much broken. I can no longer select the required E/V mode i.e. Battery, Hybrid, Battery Hold, Battery Charge and there is no display on the instrument panel showing the current mode that the car is operating in. I cannot select the DAB radio or the SatNav and the MMI screen regularly displays a message saying  'Loading....Please Wait'

The car was returned to the dealer who attributed the problems to an incomplete software update and the car was returned to me in exactly the same faulty condition. A further booking was made with the dealer who promised to apply a new software release which would fix all the problems. This booking was cancelled by the dealer the day before the car was due to go to the dealership.

I now have a car that is completely unfit for purpose and have no indication of when these problem will be fixed. I have contacted Audi Customer Care but to date have received no response.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similar problems and any advice on how I can get these problems resolved will be greatly appreciated.

Loads of documented cases. Audi are still working on a fix but do t seem to quick or bothered about sorting it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my audi s3 in nov 2020. From the very beggining it had issues with crashing software, warning signs, no voice control and apple car play. First audi told me that they know about the issue but the issues seem to go away on their own. After it didn’t go away I brought the car in in ferbruary 2021 but they couldn’t fix the car quoting no software update. After the car became unbarable I tried to bring it in in Novber 2021 and they called me a day begore my appointment to cancel saying nothing has changed. So dismissed twice at that point and didn’t check my car even thiught it specifically said in one warning signs contact service immidiatelly. The car finally went back in two weeks ago for a silent recall regarding software. When they were trying to upload the software the whole computer crashed and car was undrivable. I was contacted that they need to send an official technical report to audi because they can’t proceed without official guidance. After two weeks they finally ordered a new gateway control unit that aparently broke, did a overnight test and returned the car to me. When I received the car back it had 10miles of fuel in it where I brought it in with about 150miles. After driving the car out of the service I realised that the car has no applecar play on it, even thought that was one of the things they said they checked and wasn’t faulty anymore, has no cruise control, no satnav, no change of driving style(audi drive select unavailable), drive select button doesn’t work, parking aid button doesn’t work, display shines brighter than a christmas tree with warning signs, and there’s no bluetooth. All of these functions were available before and I’m wondering what else is missing that I haven’t clocked yet. I’m bringing the car back on monday and I’ll be demanding them buying it off me for original price. 

• Like 1

Audi has new Software released, but have to book the Car in.
The software was released in April and just call your local Dealer to book it in.

For the TFSIe the software was released Mid May.

My June 2021 A3 TFSI e is going in later this Month. Will update on state of it.

As there are many cars, not sure how quick you will get an appointment.

Edited by Pateldaku

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, Pateldaku said:

Audi has new Software released, but have to book the Car in.
The software was released in April and just call your local Dealer to book it in.

For the TFSIe the software was released Mid May.

My June 2021 A3 TFSI e is going in later this Month. Will update on state of it.

As there are many cars, not sure how quick you will get an appointment.

Yes it was, so booked mine in, went to collect it, and found they had not done it. Seem they had updated two cars before mine and it had totally killed both of them. Turns out Audi have withdrawn the update, so back where we started and still waiting for a fix to all our MMI problems !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2021 A3. Had issues from very early on with Mmi freezing sos issues. Went for fix in May. This seemed to sort most but not all issues. And now I have temperature switch issues and it cuts out for no reason requiring a manual restart.  It is a never ending headache.  

I got a call from my Audi Dealer to book it.

But, car is at the Bodyshop as was involved in an Accident where 18 year old jumped a red light and hit my car.

I believe the Software upgrade is not the same for all A3. Depends on what features you have.

So check with your Local dealer. And ask them to check with Audi in Germany that they are using the correct version of Upgrade. As might affect other Functions.

They have now issued a recall for a replacement back to the head unit plus a flash of the software but no guarantee it will fix the sos call failure issue. I will see if it’s worked after the 11th August. Not holding my breath

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the 27J9 campaign recall completed and have taken the car to areas where in the past the MMI would crash repeatedly, so far all seems good now. In addition they have also replaced the battery control unit which was to stop a message indicating insufficient battery charge on the normal battery to start the engine. I had this happen twice when on holiday and hadn’t had any ev charge for several days

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pateldaku said:

@Biltub That is good news.

My A3 tfsie has been written off, so I have gone back to A3 e-tron as prices are bonkers and can't find same spec as mine.

Sorry to hear what's happened. I know what you mean. Prices are crazy. Will drop off I think as we hit this recession. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following on from my post on the 20th May. My A3 TFSIe was eventually booked in to Audi Bristol on the 14th August when a software update was carried out. Following the car's return it does seem as though the faults introduced by the previous software update have been rectified.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have had numerous software faults with my A3 tfsi e. The most common is an error message saying ‘key battery needs replacing’ (it doesn’t) and most irritating is that the MMI system spontaneously reboots so that the radio cuts out, sometimes several times in one journey 

car has been into dealer 4 times for this and problems always recur.  I have been promised that all will be resolved when a new software update is released but have been waiting several weeks now with no sign of that happening.

Anyone  have similar problems?

I've been waiting since April for a software fix and so far nothing. 

It did go in for a software update in August, but they abandoned it as they had reports of the new software "bricking" cars! I was told I'd be notified when new software was out, so far tumbleweed

It's going in again in a week for "work" I'll report back if this fixes the problems.