Interior light problem

Daddynoob

My son has just bought a a3 2006 

but the interior lights aren’t working 

so I checked the fuse and one of the 10 amps had blown but I only had  a 7.5  but still didn’t work

so I opened the light to check the bulb and there was no bulbs in any of the interior lights 😱

so I had a spare one which I put in and still no joy 

there is no power going to the bulb holder 

can anyone confirm the fuse location or anything else it could bec

the boot one works 🥳

can send photos of fuses if needed 

Hello Shaun,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum - perhaps some of the following may help :- 

Have you got an owner’s manual for the car? If you do, then you will already know the fuse location from reference to the book.  If you don’t, you should find one on eBay
Anyway, on my 2006 A3, the fuse is No.15 (yes 10 amp rated),and this is located in the fuse box to be found by removing the cover panel from the end of the left hand side of the dashboard - will be evident when the passenger door is open. No. 15 is in the 3rd row down, and just short of half way along. 

Does this sound like the location of the blown fuse you changed? 

‘…..boot light working..’ - that may (in caps) be controlled by the courtesy light activation. 

If the fuse you have replaced is the correct location, then it’s worth removing it again, and squirting some contact cleaner into the holder before replacing the fuse. 

‘…..no bulbs….’ Any chance someone had tried fitting LEDs and messed something up? 

If the fuse is serviceable (and yes a lower rated 7.5 should do for test purposes) and so are the bulbs, then it’s half an hour out with a meter to check voltages and earths. If you are not too confident with a meter then I would suggest it would be worth investing in an hour with a trusted local auto electrician. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi if there is no power going to the bulb holder it won't matter what position the switch is in, looking at the picture of the fuse box what is the random DIY wire about it may be  that someone else has been having a go, my only suggestion is to run a new live feed in from the correct side of the fuse if it is showing power across the fuse, alternatively run a live feed from one of the spare fuse stations that has power one side but from reading the first post I would be checking the earthing first.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, but I’m not sure I follow your logic that if there isn’t any power to the bulb holder, it doesn’t matter what position the switch is in. 
As in all switched circuits, the ‘power’ is fed to the switch, and the operation of the switch completes the power circuit to the bulb holder. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I think the fuse with the wire coming out might have been a previous head unit install for a permanent live 

or it could be for the parrot hands free that is installed 

not sure what else the light problem could be if the fuse is ok 

7 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Steve, but I’m not sure I follow your logic that if there isn’t any power to the bulb holder, it doesn’t matter what position the switch is in. 
As in all switched circuits, the ‘power’ is fed to the switch, and the operation of the switch completes the power circuit to the bulb holder. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi the power even if present will only illuminate the bulb when the switch is in the on position and the earth side is now in play the power should always be present to enable this function. As you just stated the power is fed to the switch therefore no power supply to the unit it won't matter what position the switch is in.

Steve.

7 hours ago, Daddynoob said:

I think the fuse with the wire coming out might have been a previous head unit install for a permanent live 

or it could be for the parrot hands free that is installed 

not sure what else the light problem could be if the fuse is ok 

Hi try the activation plunger switches on the doors and see if there is any power to them as they work the interior lights when you open the door try this with the headlights on, other than that its a case of chase the ace with the wiring from the fuse onward.

Steve.

Good shout 

normally it’s just a spade connection to it 

back out with the multi meter

and to add insult to injury that’s only a small problem 

just noticed a oil leak so took it to the garage and turns out it’s the crankshaft oil seal 

feel sorry for my son as he has just upgraded from a little corsa and loves the Audi 

£500 to get fixed

Not sure mate

its booked in next week 

had a chat with last owner who might be paying something towards the repair 😉

will keep you up to speed on the outcome 

just trying to the little jobs to keep him happy 

OK, we take it it’s the rear seal then. 
Would I pull the gearbox out, dismantle the whole clutch assembly (to get at the oil seal) and not take the opportunity to replace some/all of the clutch components while it’s apart???

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting new clutch in as there is oil in them

also gearbox is broke 🙄

it’s just one thing after another 

what gearbox will fit in that model 

have got a picture of engine number if that helps

any advice would be most appreciated 

6504CD4E-6C21-47D0-BA64-00E41BDE223E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the gearbox number will be in raised letters on top of the bell housing in its own little frame on my system its either an FVH or JHT both five speed manuals.

Steve.

Think this is BLF according to manual 

so does that mean any 6 speed blf gearbox will fit ? 

5 hours ago, Daddynoob said:

Will a gear box out of a bigger engine car fit 

Hi probably physically, but in practise not, as the bigger engine will produce more HP and the differential would be different to accommodate the extra power and torque produced by the larger cylinder capacity this could mean your engine would struggle to pull the gears as its not producing the same power, I.E. if it won't or struggles to pull say fourth from 2k revs you would have to engage third to get the revs and speed higher to use fourth gear therefore you would be constantly stirring the gear box, not a nice way to drive, go on breakers yard on the internet and put in a request for what you want it won't cost you anything unless you buy a box or try an Audi breakers in London called Nirrol, I have used them a few times and the parts are good quality previously enjoyed items, it just shows you my system said it was a five speed box, changeover years are always painful.

Steve.

Turns out only the 1.6 fsi will fit or the mk5 golf  1.6

he has just bought one for £300 

so that’s the repair bill up to £900 

the previous owner is not playing ball with a contribution towards the repairs 

might have to give him a knock  

7 hours ago, Daddynoob said:

Turns out only the 1.6 fsi will fit or the mk5 golf  1.6

he has just bought one for £300 

so that’s the repair bill up to £900 

the previous owner is not playing ball with a contribution towards the repairs 

might have to give him a knock  

Hi glad you got another box, tell him you will run him through small claims court and if that won't work a rounders bat normally will,LOL

You read my mind but I seem to have miss placed the ball

been on to trading standards but not much help cos it depends on what he put on the ad 

wich has now disappeared from Facebook 

so a possible visit at the weekend 

• Like 1