17 inch wheels onto A6 black edition

Rafal

Morning all,

I need help guys.

I got A6 2017 S line Black Ed, on 20 inch wheels as standard. Winter tyres in this size are crazy expensive.

I have set of 4 winter tyres from my prev Audi A4, 225/55/17.

If I’ll get set of rims 17 inch 6,5 or 7J with et 37 or 38 will they fit ? Does my car have bigger brakes than normal A6 SE as they did come with 17 inch wheels sometimes ?

Set of 4 rims will cost me 3 times less then new 20 inch winter tyres. And the fact I have set of neraly new good winter tyres in 17 inch its no brainer.

Please help me

Thanks

Hello Rafal, 

Reducing the wheel size down to 17 inch, from your current (originally equipped?) 20 inch, is a major change - even if they physically fit. 
You will need to calculate the outside diameter of the wheel + tyre of your current 20 inch, then calculate what significantly-increased profile tyre you would need to fit to a set of 17 inch wheels.

You will also need to find out whether 17 inch wheels were ever originally an option with your model year to ensure their fitment won’t invalidate your insurance. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Rafal, 

Reducing the wheel size down to 17 inch, from your current (originally equipped?) 20 inch, is a major change - even if they physically fit. 
You will need to calculate the outside diameter of the wheel + tyre of your current 20 inch, then calculate what significantly-increased profile tyre you would need to fit to a set of 17 inch wheels.

You will also need to find out whether 17 inch wheels were ever originally an option with your model year to ensure their fitment won’t invalidate your insurance. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for your reply Gareth.

They were originaly fitted anything from 17 till 21” in RS6.

Im aware of slight diferent in the overall diameter but should not be much as the winter tyres I got even tho only 55mm have very big tread on em.

I need to find out if they will fit round the brakes, or another words does my s line have any different brakes then SE ? Bigger ?

Kind regards

Raf

Many thanks Raf,

If you would like to post the tyre size on your current 20 inch rims, I’ll work out the difference in outside diameters for you if your fit 225/55/17, while we wait for information on whether the wheels will fit around your brakes, 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

19 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks Raf,

If you would like to post the tyre size on your current 20 inch rims, I’ll work out the difference in outside diameters for you if your fit 225/55/17, while we wait for information on whether the wheels will fit around your brakes, 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

255/35/20 standard for black edition

OK - back juddering low profiles then! 
Doing the calculating for you, using the tyres you state, on 17 inch rims, will result in the overall diameter of these wheels and tyres being around 7mm less than your current 20 inch ultra low profile ones - assuming my ‘3 score and ten plus a fair bit’ calculations are accurate. 
Am I doing the right thing by wearing my brain out to work this out? I’m spoiling you!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

No problem, but please check my maths, and be aware that the 17 inch tyres are 30mm narrower than the ones you have on now. Don’t discount this, or the need to check what the actual book specified tyre size was for 17 inch wheels which you say could have been fitted as an option when new. 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

That's a good website for checking your maths.

Have a check on this but IIRC that there was a BITDI SE that did come with 17" wheels, you could look into those wheels as i guess if they fit a BITDI then they will fit your car.

I have an 3.0 272 allroad with 255/40R20 tyres and I'm looking into winter wheels too, have you looked in your manual? I think although 17" will fit my car i think 18" wheels with 235/55R18s are recommended for my car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

No problem, but please check my maths, and be aware that the 17 inch tyres are 30mm narrower than the ones you have on now. Don’t discount this, or the need to check what the actual book specified tyre size was for 17 inch wheels which you say could have been fitted as an option when new. 

That’s the exact size tyre for 17 inch for Audi not just a6 also a4

1 hour ago, K3v said:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

That's a good website for checking your maths.

Have a check on this but IIRC that there was a BITDI SE that did come with 17" wheels, you could look into those wheels as i guess if they fit a BITDI then they will fit your car.

I have an 3.0 272 allroad with 255/40R20 tyres and I'm looking into winter wheels too, have you looked in your manual? I think although 17" will fit my car i think 18" wheels with 235/55R18s are recommended for my car.

Thanks I’ll have a look into manual but doubt it there is any info on that.

The main reason for my topic question is as I stayed I have set of nearly new 17 inch tyres ready for snow abroad. 

I did have a quick look today on my discs and calipers at fron and tbf they do seems quiet big. 

225 tyre will always be better for winter then 255, regardless of size.

Thanks

Guys I can’t believe it ! As K3v said, answer is right there in the book:

That exactly size of the rim Im after 7,5J x 17 5x112 centre bore 66.5. If anyone come across set of brand new set of steel rims in black please let me know thanks

D3AC116E-76A7-49CE-BD66-8AB0904A2E19.jpeg

B5475C17-7888-4B6C-A7FD-5FC3D5E87D25.jpeg

Edited by Rafal

Sorry, I skim read and missed the part which said you had some tyres already. 

Have a look on eBay for the wheels, if you search "a6 winter wheels" there will be adverts pop up from German sellers that will ship to the uk. It's law to fit winters in Germany so there are lots in Germany. I've seen quite a few o. e wheels recently. There's an example below.  There are a few styles, most will have tyres so it will be a case of looking for ones with not much tread that will be cheaper.  You will find a UK seller but there are just a lot more available in Germany so if you them quickly Tyra will be your best bet. 

If you want new, then audi will sell you some, they had them in the showroom when I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194485511286?fits=Car+Make%3AAudi|Model%3AA6+Allroad&hash=item2d483d6476:g:YMAAAOSwq3RhgSdw&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACYPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSd3M8ngECaRA0SmyU4KT%2FnomKR%2Bekfv00jipkJOU6R0H0IHwdw9uEIHN8zgy9CTJ0pADp0H9n17gAxhbVKBrfv6U%2FXJEwQMdsyIp86uJLQIfIhFh9iUxW%2BE%2Bhz8m5EY%2BvpqTtWdw3LYgHlAzFMxEKQWm5AO68UUdBjDA%2FT8MXNHc5pCFvmgdCEx1FHJ5bYO6yN4X4yegz1Uj0jJp85jtA%2BzpcMrALWOftgN7utid0dtOt4ST%2BSwYDzh45dDDtla1YDKiG%2FicklpxQlcZdYXCOtqmW06Dm9AgvXpl7a3RdGqZ88DUmKUT3aY2sOcKKbi1YJAL1wT%2Bvm9x8%2FYMN1Kg%2BXJvWq70wjMAdZw5Y5gx5G5W6EUc04MWgJvVKHslXUL16tN%2B0ttAA5EVvurIYDOwzP1d6pkKrh5RZ1rVhRF2aXbrLkfN5UzrNAFcAF8tpi%2BfXJ7P8gLDqe4pDuF1HhELo3U1DFdnjKiRWHaDwkK42CXv1y6EYWZm3wZWvPsJXy6yihDB7SWwsA1WRcuqmiZwhqwUk7nNpYVe8YX7ubtOSZRQyJZ14tncRPzPA2CcKO78tdmEdd3vkK0WDqYg8nJxK%2FJS6G5SQdEJcDWSovbWAjcdv21ERz01QoK6xFylyrbAAt6mEt%2F8X7Dii24uWHiuP0qIvcCzJEE0ihy1QIjpbZbO7fgeN2NVmAY45OliC4IurYkIheefU%2F52ZdGYjvF%2FdaWzaVbl12kY2mtFG3ONm5kDgubhFfygILN5saPhjx6kN|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABk9SR6r3y4uhXw

Edit:

I've just noticed you said steel wheels, 🙄, I think I need a coffee to wake up 🤣

There are lots of 17" alloy wheels on eBay in the uk with summer tyres on, might be worth looking at those and swapping tyres as they aren't expensive. 

Edited by K3v
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Magnet said:

Morning. Would you work out for me 245/40 in place of mine 255/35 ? Is there big different ? 

Im unable to find rims for mine 17 inch tyres 😞

Thanks

Thanks K3v.

Yeah I was after brand new steel wheels in black aswell but can’t find them even in Germany 😞

The one you send me looks ok but no info about centre bore (I suspect it will have 66.5)

I’ll save them to watch list

Blinking heck Raf,

You are wearing out my old brain! Won’t be able to do that until later in the day. 
‘Formula’:- 

For 245/40 - work out 40% of 245mm and multiply by 2. Then add the wheel diameter in mm. I take it you know that to convert inches to mm. you will need to multiply by 25.4. 

I’ll check it when you have worked it out. 

For 255/35 - work out 35% of 255mm………..

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Sorry, but I just cannot follow your logic when you said ‘225 will always be better than 255 for winter….’ Are you really believing narrower tyres will give you better grip on snow and ice? 

10 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Blinking heck Raf,

You are wearing out my old brain! Won’t be able to do that until later in the day. 
‘Formula’:- 

For 245/40 - work out 40% of 245mm and multiply by 2. Then add the wheel diameter in mm. I take it you know that to convert inches to mm. you will need to multiply by 25.4. 

I’ll check it when you have worked it out. 

For 255/35 - work out 35% of 255mm………..

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Sorry, but I just cannot follow your logic when you said ‘225 will always be better than 255 for winter….’ Are you really believing narrower tyres will give you better grip on snow and ice? 

Offcourse they will. Not just better grip but better performance overall. Better braking distance etc.

Trust me on this one I’ve been using winter tyres from about 20 yrs. Hence the reason Audi recomended 245/40 for 20 inch for winter not 255/35 like for summer

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Offcourse they will. Not just better grip but better performance overall. Better braking distance etc.

Trust me on this one I’ve been using winter tyres from about 20 yrs. Hence the reason Audi recomended 245/40 for 20 inch for winter not 255/35 like for summer

Thanks

If you search the part number of the wheels, you will find the bore/offset etc. any part which starts with 4G is for the audi a6 c7, i believe. 

If it was me wanting 17s, i think i would be looking for some alloys, there are two or three styles,  i think, there are audi winter ones, which are the german ones which are 7.5J and then there are uk spec (SE?) wheels which are 8J, but i think your tyres would be ok on them, id do some research first but its not a big increase in width. There are companies who make/sell steel wheels but as to price, might be more cost effective just to get some second hand alloys. your call on that one though 🙂

Below is the size comparison, as Audi recommend them as i am sure you know, they will be within tolerance, even if not, all it does is alter your speedo reading, but if you are aware of this its ok... 

Re the widths, it does seem to be received wisdom that thinner with taller tyres is the way to go.

Screenshot 2021-11-10 083122.png

Edited by K3v

So bit of speed different then actual on dash ? That should not be an issue just wonder of they not gonna rubb or something.

Honestly I like the look of my car on 20 inch but its so uncomfortable regardless of setting of the susspension and now for winter causing me a big problem…

Thanks

Exactly your speedo will read slower than than actual

According to the screen grab, the overall diameter is 0.7" larger, so 0.7/2*25.4=8.9mm larger radius and 8.9mm closer to your wheel arch, not a lot really.

Edited by K3v

Was able to secure set of 4 steel wheels, exact size and everything I want. I want my car on black steel wheels for winter I always did that way. 

Thanks for all your help guys and will let you know once fitted.

Regards

12 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Was able to secure set of 4 steel wheels, exact size and everything I want. I want my car on black steel wheels for winter I always did that way. 

Thanks for all your help guys and will let you know once fitted.

Regards

For anyone following this, there is an eBay seller offering an apparently unmarked set of 17" alloys with 4 winter tyres, 2 good + 2 poor for £400. 

My car has come off its 20's and onto 17's for ride comfort. 

I have bought from these guys before.

Edited by beemerboy9