Rear wiper arm

Pol777

[1] Squirt a little penetrating oil into the socket, then wait a few minutes for it to soak in.

[2[ Tap around the outside with a small hammer. Not hard enough to damage or distort the metal, but hard enough that the repeated shocks may break the corrosion that holds the arm to its spindle.

• Like 1

I find the best way to remove seized on wiper arms, is to.

1, remove the nut

2, squid a little wd40 round the thread.

3. put the nut back on so that it it proud of the thread I,e, only half on.thread not protruding.

4, either hold the base of the wiper arm, and pull it towards you, at the same 

time hit the nut with a small hammer, or if you are careful, place a small piece

of wood below the arm, and apply pressure with a pryer or similar, the arm should then

come off ok.  p.s. works every time for me.

hope this helps

Brian,

Thanks Brian, 

Obviously opinions will vary, but personally I don’t like hitting anything where you are actually putting a hammering force onto a thread. Appreciating the fact that your method has worked - and that’s great - but two points:- penetration oil will be better than WD40, and I don’t see anything will be better than using the correct (cheap) tool, along with some penetration oil. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi best way is buy a cheap arm puller off of eBay, Sealy are not a bad shout, hose it down with Plus gas penetration fluid leave overnight and then use your puller you might need a pair of Mole grips to turn the compression screw but it will come off.

Steve.

Cheers for all the ideas, gave me alot to think about. I took a slightly different route. I carefully drilled 4 3mm holes around the metal disc, careful not to touch the thread, enough to then crack it off to my surprise! New wiper now on and working, only thing is it seems to travel a bit too far onto the boot when it goes onto passenger side?

Thanks Paul,

Glad you managed to remove it, but as a word of caution, anything destructive should, in my book, be the last alternative if the correct  (and cheap) tool fails to do the job. Many will shudder at the thought of the consequence your drill slipping! Anyway, you have removed it. 
Re. Sweeping too far onto the passenger side:- sounds like you need to bias the arm a slime or two clockwise - assuming the excessive movement to the passenger side isn’t due to wear. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gareth, it was a bit unconventional I agree, just me being impatient I suppose. I'll give the wiper idea a try though. Loving the car, only had it a week, she's definitely a keeper! 

Cheers