At last the facts.

Stevey Y

On the subject of replacing fossil fuels with alternatives, I don't see much written about the use of fossil fuels in commercial vehicles, lorries etc, diesel powered electricity generators which some rail engines use and all the diesel powered construction equipment such as cranes, dump trucks etc. The first I have seen was the initial post with the JCV chairman, so at least someone is considering. I have no data one way or another but I would not be surprised to see the greatest user of fossil fuel for transport is not the private user of vehicles.

Anyone know the answer, never once in all the discussions on the shortage of lorry drivers recently has the subject of electric goods vehicles been mentioned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ekimj10 said:

On the subject of replacing fossil fuels with alternatives, I don't see much written about the use of fossil fuels in commercial vehicles, lorries etc, diesel powered electricity generators which some rail engines use and all the diesel powered construction equipment such as cranes, dump trucks etc. The first I have seen was the initial post with the JCV chairman, so at least someone is considering. I have no data one way or another but I would not be surprised to see the greatest user of fossil fuel for transport is not the private user of vehicles.

Anyone know the answer, never once in all the discussions on the shortage of lorry drivers recently has the subject of electric goods vehicles been mentioned.

Very good point. I mean the government cancelled the electricification of the railway so theyre not bothered imo as they can't make money from the public from it. I think fossil fuel vehicles will be around for longer then they claim. No way can the infrastructure be put in place in 8-9 years. I mean look how long any planning application takes (1-3 years) it's definitely not possible. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, ekimj10 said:

Hi I was privileged to a conversation between two Ford engineers who work on the development of commercial Diesel engines, apparently they were launching the new all electric Transit and were scoffing at the range which was quoted at 250 miles, they then told me it was easy to get the range down to 100 miles when carrying only half of its alleged ton and a half maximum thats why they were only building five hundred to start with, never heard any more after the launch.

The subject went on to HGVs and they told me that the race was on to produce the first thousand horsepower Diesel unit for lorries, Scania were ahead of Ford the idea being that a thousand horses will have an incredible amount of torque between 900-2000rpm so no need to rev it and with the addition of upgraded Adblue systems 45 percent less emissions, they were amused when I asked if they had tried to produce an electric lorry the answer was no because as they explained a 40 foot trucker going to Manchester from London would need stop at least five times to recharge therefore with current HGV driving laws the journey could take up to two days if not more plus the load capacity of the vehicle is much reduced due to the weight of the USS Nimitz sized batteries.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I was privileged to a conversation between two Ford engineers who work on the development of commercial Diesel engines, apparently they were launching the new all electric Transit and were scoffing at the range which was quoted at 250 miles, they then told me it was easy to get the range down to 100 miles when carrying only half of its alleged ton and a half maximum thats why they were only building five hundred to start with, never heard any more after the launch.

The subject went on to HGVs and they told me that the race was on to produce the first thousand horsepower Diesel unit for lorries, Scania were ahead of Ford the idea being that a thousand horses will have an incredible amount of torque between 900-2000rpm so no need to rev it and with the addition of upgraded Adblue systems 45 percent less emissions, they were amused when I asked if they had tried to produce an electric lorry the answer was no because as they explained a 40 foot trucker going to Manchester from London would need stop at least five times to recharge therefore with current HGV driving laws the journey could take up to two days if not more plus the load capacity of the vehicle is much reduced due to the weight of the USS Nimitz sized batteries.

Steve.

Very interesting. On that basis it would imply commercial vehicles will remain diesel for a very long time to come. But it just supports my theory that electric vehicles aren't the future. 

The problem we have is that if we still had a fantastic rail network like we did in the 1950s then it would mean we could get lorries off the road. 

For example my Gran remembers the mixed freight trains pulling into the yard in oymur town, the British rail scammel 3 wheel lorries ten dropping the goods to local businesses. Or they would go and collect it. 

This would be ideal now to get lorries off the road but thanks to the short sightedness in the 60s such as the ban on mixed freight and Beeching axe (I appreciate it wasn't just him) it's left us in a situation where we have no choice but to rely on the road network for all deliveries. As the demolition of the old infrastructure is long gone. 

• Like 1

Following on from this conversation. I think we've got our answer. They want us off the road for good. Just to reduce 13% of CO2. What a load of s***. This isn't to save the planet, it's to control us and to stop us from going to far. Before anyone says, yes I know the article is from the daily mail but it's elsewhere too! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10298487/Owning-car-outdated-20th-century-thinking-transport-minister-Trudy-Harrison-says.html?ito=social-facebook 

Mark my words after they've got us off the roads, planes abd ferries will be next. As I honestly believe they don't want us to travel. 

Since when was it the governments job to control the movement of it's people in a democracy. Need I say more! 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:53 PM, Steve Q said:

Following on from this conversation. I think we've got our answer. They want us off the road for good. Just to reduce 13% of CO2. What a load of s***. This isn't to save the planet, it's to control us and to stop us from going to far. Before anyone says, yes I know the article is from the daily mail but it's elsewhere too! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10298487/Owning-car-outdated-20th-century-thinking-transport-minister-Trudy-Harrison-says.html?ito=social-facebook 

Mark my words after they've got us off the roads, planes abd ferries will be next. As I honestly believe they don't want us to travel. 

Since when was it the governments job to control the movement of it's people in a democracy. Need I say more! 

Hi good skills Steve and well put, but have you not noticed the pattern, I heard her waffling on a radio talk show the other day and giving the host a roasting because he made a couple of counter points, the world is full of hormonally challenged old rotters who just can't wait to have a go at anything male because they hate us, I come across this a lot in my line of work as we have the worlds supply of middle aged dames around my town who's opinions are never wrong.

Prime example, I picked up a fare a couple of weeks ago who wanted to go to a railway station in another town, why I don't know as she was going to London and our local line half a mile away goes straight through that station she was going to, anyway when she was turning out of her road she demanded to go through the lanes, I explained that it had rained and the temperature was only 2.5 degrees allied to the fact that they don't salt the lanes it was not best policy to go a longer more dangerous route, my god she exploded big time when I went the other way, she said I am paying for this, and I explained I was an owner driver and paying for the car and if she wanted I could drop her off, no charge, and she could try and get a driver of another vehicle to take her the way she wanted, she declined and contented herself with putting in a complaint to the company about me, they listened to the audio of the journey and found me not in the slightest bit wrong, they suggested she take her complaint to licensing who would also have a copy of the audio, she again declined, had her as a fare a week later and she was all sweetness and light, How are you and all smiles, amazing what an HRT patch will do, I wouldn't let it get to you as she will disappear into the abyss of politics as a nonentity sooner than you think.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi good skills Steve and well put, but have you not noticed the pattern, I heard her waffling on a radio talk show the other day and giving the host a roasting because he made a couple of counter points, the world is full of hormonally challenged old rotters who just can't wait to have a go at anything male because they hate us, I come across this a lot in my line of work as we have the worlds supply of middle aged dames around my town who's opinions are never wrong.

Prime example, I picked up a fare a couple of weeks ago who wanted to go to a railway station in another town, why I don't know as she was going to London and our local line half a mile away goes straight through that station she was going to, anyway when she was turning out of her road she demanded to go through the lanes, I explained that it had rained and the temperature was only 2.5 degrees allied to the fact that they don't salt the lanes it was not best policy to go a longer more dangerous route, my god she exploded big time when I went the other way, she said I am paying for this, and I explained I was an owner driver and paying for the car and if she wanted I could drop her off, no charge, and she could try and get a driver of another vehicle to take her the way she wanted, she declined and contented herself with putting in a complaint to the company about me, they listened to the audio of the journey and found me not in the slightest bit wrong, they suggested she take her complaint to licensing who would also have a copy of the audio, she again declined, had her as a fare a week later and she was all sweetness and light, How are you and all smiles, amazing what an HRT patch will do, I wouldn't let it get to you as she will disappear into the abyss of politics as a nonentity sooner than you think.

Steve.

It's getting ridiculous. There are more and more people believing they are entitled to everything and anything. And to challenge them you are seen as discriminating towards them. 

A good case in point is the current attack on history and culture to try and erase people or events from history. It's very easy to look at the past with 21st century thinking. But ignoring the past and thus forgetting the mistakes made there, only jeopardise the future. 

I also note today that despite fewer vehicles ECT being driven last year due to the pandemic the temperature in Antarctica reached 18 degrees and in the article circle (Siberia) reached 38 degrees. I've noticed the media are ignoring the fact less fossil fuels were burned last year when presented to the public. 

• Like 2