Engine fans staying on after short trip

Brizzle

Drove home from work today, it’s about a 15 min journey, pulled up and turned car off and heard the fans kick in, stayed on for a full 5 mins then went off

But it’s been clod last few days here and was surprised to hear them come on, would of thought I’d only hear them in warm weather

Is this the norm?

7 minutes ago, Brizzle said:

Drove home from work today, it’s about a 15 min journey, pulled up and turned car off and heard the fans kick in, stayed on for a full 5 mins then went off

But it’s been clod last few days here and was surprised to hear them come on, would of thought I’d only hear them in warm weather

Is this the norm?

Hi thats normally a sign the car had initiated a regeneration which will now be logged in the ECU which logs all successful and aborted regens as well as every time any component sneezes, don't worry about it.

Steve.

3 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi thats normally a sign the car had initiated a regeneration which will now be logged in the ECU which logs all successful and aborted regens as well as every time any component sneezes, don't worry about it.

Steve.

So was it doing a regen thing?

I don’t need to take it on a long drive tomorrow to help?

Cheers for your help 

40 minutes ago, Brizzle said:

So was it doing a regen thing?

I don’t need to take it on a long drive tomorrow to help?

Cheers for your help 

Hi a longer drive tomorrow would be preferable as if you keep getting aborted regens your oil level will start to rise as the Diesel gets into it past the rings as these engines use post injection to initiate a regeneration, you can always tell when the car is doing this as the revs sit at a thousand and the car smells hot just run it until the revs go back to 900rpm and your done, about ten miles should do it.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi a longer drive tomorrow would be preferable as if you keep getting aborted regens your oil level will start to rise as the Diesel gets into it past the rings as these engines use post injection to initiate a regeneration, you can always tell when the car is doing this as the revs sit at a thousand and the car smells hot just run it until the revs go back to 900rpm and your done, about ten miles should do it.

Steve.

So no symbol on dashboard will show up?

21 hours ago, Brizzle said:

So no symbol on dashboard will show up?

Hi no not until it thinks the DPF is blocked, but no lights for regeneration when it begins or finishes, I know some people on the Ford forum I used to be on had wired in a little light to tell you when it was regenerating but I wouldn't recommend that with an Audi as the wiring and software are ten times more complex and it won't take a lot to upset the equilibrium of the whole lot, it would be useful though.

Steve.