winscreen wipers cut out completely when stopping at a junction then restart when moving away

RANGY911

Hi all

Pretty much as stated in the title-own an Audi A3 1.4 150bhp ,65 reg.    owned from new.Never had an issue with wipers before but suddenly started doing this and incredibly dangerous if raining to any degree as cant see properly to pull away. Once on the move again , all wiper functionality restored from intermittent , full, fast and single swipe.

Totally bonkers ,anyone any ideas ?? 

Hello Ian, 

Apologies for the lack of response. We do try, but sometimes we fail.

For what it’s worth :- our 2006 A3 - also owned from new - has always done this, so to us, it’s obviously normal. 

If you say yours hasn’t, then I wonder if you may have had some work done on the car in recent times, such as a new recoded battery etc. 
If not, it sounds like a trip to your dealer or independent who should be able to either diagnose a fault or re programme it not to do this. 
Perhaps you could colour in the detail.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth-thanks for the reply,appreciated.Really surprised to hear you say yours has always done that from new as it makes no sense to me if the engine is  still running ,why would the wipers cease functionality just because its stationary ? Just to be clear, its not that the engine automatically shuts down when I come to a stop as I sometimes depress the clutch whilst waiting at a junction for a few seconds rather than the engine shutdown kicking in so engine is still running.

Ive also not had any extra work done to the car other than normal servicing

I think your suggestion of trip to an independant is probably best course of action unless someone else can come up with a different course of action 

Thanks Gareth !

Thanks Ian,

We now need to canvas experience of others on here. In my experience, this phenomenon is not restricted to Audi.

I’ve come across this on other marques I have driven where the wipers ‘go to sleep’ when the car comes to a halt. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

ive finally resolved the issue although its unlikely anyone else will have the problem !

I also had a problem with my car bonnet not catching correctly on one side which Ive now resolved with a bit of WD40 and as soon as that was sorted , the wipers started working as normal again. No idea why the bonnet catch would interefere with the operation of the cars wipers but Im just grateful now sorted-as I said , unlikely anyone else will have  the same 2 problems !