Drive System Fault safely stop vehicle.

Gordano

As I suspect the car is still under warranty I'd be taking it back to main dealer pronto. As fault codes will be stored on the ecu. 

The fact it's red would imply it's more of a concern. As a yellow warning says to contact your local dealer. 

Sorry I can't help more but with the a3 8v a similar issue was down to a faulty fuel pump. And on the a4 b9 it was down to various issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SwiftOtron said:

Hi there. What was the outcome of your visit please? I’d be keen to hear if the issue was resolved for you. I hope so. 

Repairs under warranty 

20220114_182833.jpg

20220110_133207.jpg

20220114_182833.jpg

20220114_182350.jpg

Thanks Tim, but has the fault - non start issue now been resolved? I guess it must have been, but I’m having difficulty in trying to interpret why the subsequent non- start bit and the resolution of that, but it could be me missing something. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

33 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Tim, but has the fault - non start issue now been resolved? I guess it must have been, but I’m having difficulty in trying to interpret why the subsequent non- start bit and the resolution of that, but it could be me missing something. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, yes all working now.  The problem was stop start at stand still and I guess the same system puts the car into coast mode when driving. That was when driving is when the warning came up. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi, I had the same or similar fault on my A6 40 s line 21 plate. I was driving on a busy dual carriageway with no hard shoulder when the warning came up and the engine just died, no power at all, no throttle, I was just drifting with the vehicle slowing down. I had to put my hazard lights on and stop in the lane. Pretty scary with cars approaching fast from behind. I turned everything off, slightly opened the door and closed it to reset everything and luckily the car started up and I was able to drive off. Potentially that could have been disastrous. 

I took the vehicle to the dealership and they told me that there had been a sporadic fault with the "can bus", they cleared the fault and asked me to monitor. Although not sure how I do that. They had no idea what had happened or why, just cleared the fault and sent me on my way.

I have told them that's not good enough and what happened Could have resulted in a serious accident and that I'm no longer confident with the safety of the vehicle. I'm currently in discussions with them to either exchange or return the vehicle. 

I'd be interested to know if you know of any other incidents of this fault as Audi don't seem to be that bothered that this fault could have resulted in a serious or fatal accident. 

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

Hi guys this is my first posts so I hope I’m doing it right ! A few weeks ago I got the start stop fault contact work shop followed by drive system fault contact work shop my car was booked in with Audi an is still with Audi an it is approaching nearly one week with them I hadn’t loss any power or anything car was driving as normal no extra sounds or any problem with therostat gauge only had the two fault codes… anyway Audi had said my cambelt had jumped an under the warranty it was replaced now they said after changing the cambelt that the signs still remained an they are now saying it’s needs injectors… I shall find out tomo if this fixes the problem but I am slowly getting worried after searching the forums that these issues can be a combination of a lot of things has any one else had the dealer fix’s these problem with Audi please reply to this

63346C38-9B16-452A-87D9-5B703F43C976.jpeg

3C423C96-DB0C-4C9A-B05B-55A3D4511F99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi how did you go on with your issues?got a similar problem with my A6 40 2019 , it’s booked in with Audi on the 21st , I had my battery (in boot of vehicle) replaced by RAC a year ago car has been perfect up until end of October when I came to start it fired up straight away and as I moved off came with various warnings , got told could be alternatir and charging issues?? Below picture from my Audi app

IMG_0407.png

Welcome to the Audi Owners Club !

Good to have you onboard.

Hello David,

So are you going to get the alternator output checked, and the battery efficiency tested ( once charged)? Halfords should be able to do that at one of their shops pre. your book-in. This could save you a considerable amount of money. 
Make of battery - as a matter of interest? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The Battery was replaced by RAC last November and it’s a Varta, been to a local independant vw/ Audi garage who have suggested it’s the wrong battery ! Called RAC back anc they will only change it if it’s below a certain voltage which it’s not so I was advised to go to Audi ? 

Thanks David,

Last thing first - no disrespects, if you are asking how/where to charge a battery, then just close the bonnet before you engage in anything you wish you hadn’t started! Just don’t attempt it. 
Apologies for questions:- 

Can we take it your vehicle is equipped with stop start? 
If so, does the battery say anything like AGM or stop/start, S/S on it anywhere? 

Do you know if the RAC or anyone else coded the new battery to your vehicle? 
You shouldn’t (and I wouldn’t anyway) book the car into Halfords (Autocentre).  Their retail shops should be able to check battery efficiency  on a walk-in arrangement. 

Varta is a prime make of battery. Made for RAC suggests it could be manufactured down to a price -? 
RAC and warranty. There is far more to a battery’s efficiency than simply voltage. 
Let us know how you get on with getting it checked. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth thanks for the advice ,, yes my car has stop/start as for the coding of the battery I don’t recall the RAC mentioning it tbh? As for charging will definitely take your advice and leave it well alone .. it used to be a simple battery under the bonnet with a black and red cable to it now there are god knows how may cables!!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️thanks again pal for the advice and will get back to you as soon as I’ve been to Halfords and will double check battery for info 👍👍

Thanks David,

If it isn’t marked AGM or S/S then it’s likely to be the wrong battery, so it now becomes important that Halfords not only checks the battery efficiency - inc. the cold cranking current - but that the battery is the correct type and size for the vehicle. Let’s hope it is.

If it isn’t, then any warranty claim against the RAC, would not be simply the battery efficiency, but whether they fitted the right type. 
If it were mine, I would simply be noting whatever Halfords tells you - asking them to write it down for you would be great - but I wouldn’t be entertaining purchasing a replacement at this stage - if all isn’t well in terms of type or efficiency. 
Just let us know how you get on. 
Don’t forget to ask them to check the alternator output as well. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Cheers Gareth am going down tomorrow morning so will pass on findings straight away and hopefully find out wether I have the correct battery ? The guys at the independent garage did say that the A6 C8 is very sensitive and none oem parts could/would throw up faults but will definitely get back to you asap , thanks again 👍

• Like 1

Went to Halfords (approx 1.5 mile away) and got them to check battery,engine not warmed up and showing just 1bar lit on temp gauge , battery showed less than 12.5 volts, and 570 start power from 760 , official battery is AGM096 (less than (£200) at Halfords, Phoned Audi at Wakefield to confirm battery but all they would tell me is the official battery is £316 and it has 390 amps, gone onto eBay and even on there the proper batteries are over £300 ! Halfords did say the Battery was faulty so I suppose my next option is to speak to the RAC and explain the situation?? 

Meant to say the varta battery that the rac put in is AGM096 but like the guys at the garage pointed out is how long has the battery been in that van and also not an oem battery so will see what RAC say 🤞🤞

Thanks David,

Situation as we now know it:- 

RAC fitted the correct battery type. 
It has now been checked and found to be below par.

RAC fitted this battery about a year ago, but we need to be specific, since it might only have had a 1 year guarantee via. the RAC. Being pessimistic, if it’s slightly over a year old, then they may claim it’s simply out of warranty, despite batteries normally having more than 1 year warranties.

We know this battery is graded ‘Manufactured for the RAC’ and this maybe a lower than normal graded battery. 
Any success with a warranty claim will depend more on a determined and constructed approach, rather than ‘will see what RAC say’. 
Not sure where you are looking on eBay, but it really surprises me that a AGM 096 is over £300, compared with Halfords sub £200.

Have a look at Tayna Battery website and give them your registration number. They are likely to quote you for their own Enduroline brand - which is likely to be dearer than the premium Exide ( which is my current go-for brand - I used to prefer Varta/Bosch). If you then go on eBay and search their shop, you should come up with the correct Exide equivalent, but beware they offer the cheaper Excel grade, and the better ‘Premium’ grade, which I go for. They were offering an eBay discount of 8% via. code SAVES8, so even cheaper! 

Just a personal opinion, but you could consider forgetting about the RAC and their warranty, and just biting the bullet and buy a new battery. 
Let us know what you think. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Alternator output? 

Thanks Gareth yes it did cross my mind to just go buy another one , checked Tayna Batteries and will order the enduraline and see how it goes , as for the alternator believe it or not we ended up not testing It as the testing unit they were using started playing up !! We managed to get the battery checked out though, am going to cancel the diagnostic appointment at Audi next week and get the battery replaced and see how it goes at £140+ think I’d rather get a battery fitted( not by me pal 😂😂). Have you had this issue at some point? Thanks for all the advice pal it’s been a real help with this issue , nice to know there are knowledgeable people who are happy to help out absolutely love the car so it’s great having your support, 👍👍

Thanks David, you can of course order their Enduroline, but I certainly wouldn’t - as I said. 
Why have you decided against an Exide Premium as a matter of interest? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️apologies pal !Removed! batteries sending me loopy 😂😂did mean the exide will get it ordered tomorrow , and will double check I order the exide premium as you’ve recommended, fingers crossed it resolves the issue will be in touch once it’s fitted thanks again for all the help pal