Can I Change Oil Filter Without Draining Oil?

Jabberwock

I have just changed the oil in my 2016 A6 but didn’t check I had a socket large enough for the filter housing before I drained it. So I’ve had to fill the engine with fresh oil with the old filter still in situ for the time being. Once I get a VAG filter tool, can I replace filter without having to redrain the block?

58 minutes ago, Jabberwock said:

Hi Gareth,

That’s great. Saves me losing a load of oil and faffing under the car again. Thanks for taking the time to help. 

Kind regards,

David

Hi I use the appropriate size socket on a 1/2 drive long extension which gives you loads of swing above the engine, the socket size is stamped on the top of the filter housing.

Steve.

41 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I use the appropriate size socket on a 1/2 drive long extension which gives you loads of swing above the engine, the socket size is stamped on the top of the filter housing.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, yes I should have looked before clambering under the car. Largest socket I have is 27mm and I just presumed I’d have one big enough...til I tried 🙄

57 minutes ago, Jabberwock said:

Thanks. I may have a look myself

Hi I got a Sealey oil extraction pump off eBay about £26.00  had it about three years and its great as is ally do is push the drain side pipe down the dipstick hole until it bottoms out connect to the jump start posts in the engine bay put the bigger hose into a old oil can and fire it up, then carefully picking your tea up observe as the container fills you can see from the markers on the old can how much has come out, 4.7 litres normally, two major rules, get the engine nice and hot, then allow 10 mins for drain back before pumping out.

Steve.

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I got a Sealey oil extraction pump off eBay about £26.00  had it about three years and its great as is ally do is push the drain side pipe down the dipstick hole until it bottoms out connect to the jump start posts in the engine bay put the bigger hose into a old oil can and fire it up, then carefully picking your tea up observe as the container fills you can see from the markers on the old can how much has come out, 4.7 litres normally, two major rules, get the engine nice and hot, then allow 10 mins for drain back before pumping out.

Steve.

Cheaper than I thought. Thanks for the info, and enjoy your cuppa next time you change your oil

• Like 1