2.0 TDi Coil Light Flashing

Syndrome

Hi all,

Picked up a B7 Avant with a 2.0 TDi BRE PD engine in it a few weeks ago and it has started throwing a problem at me.
TLDR: When pressing the throttle the coil light starts flashing, ESP light is always on. This happens even when the ignition is on but the engine is off also. Throttle response seems fine after replacing a faulty throttle pedal.

Long story: After plenty of rain I noticed the drivers footwell was very damp, shortly afterward I started experiencing throttle jerkiness and at the same time the ESP light would illuminate and the coil light flash. A quick Google suggested water ingress via the ECU box so I got the spanners out. Drain holes were fine but the ECU box was missing one nut on the back towards the centre line, so I cleaned everything up, bolted it down properly, dried everything out and sprayed all contacts with electrical cleaner. 
Still did it all so no joy, by now the problems were constant and if you mashed the throttle it might go to 2,000 rpm but it fluctuated wildly. My suspicion was a dead throttle pedal, got a 2nd hand one from a breakers and fitted it today. The throttle now works smoothly, before it was all over the place, but when pressing the throttle for the first time the coil light starts flashing, ESP light is always on. This happens even when the ignition is on but the engine is off also. Throttle response seems fine after replacing a faulty throttle pedal. 

Not sure what's causing the error, I suspect I might need to do a throttle calibration or something, but can't find any helpful evidence.

Please can anyone help?

22 minutes ago, Syndrome said:

Hi all,

Picked up a B7 Avant with a 2.0 TDi BRE PD engine in it a few weeks ago and it has started throwing a problem at me.
TLDR: When pressing the throttle the coil light starts flashing, ESP light is always on. This happens even when the ignition is on but the engine is off also. Throttle response seems fine after replacing a faulty throttle pedal.

Long story: After plenty of rain I noticed the drivers footwell was very damp, shortly afterward I started experiencing throttle jerkiness and at the same time the ESP light would illuminate and the coil light flash. A quick Google suggested water ingress via the ECU box so I got the spanners out. Drain holes were fine but the ECU box was missing one nut on the back towards the centre line, so I cleaned everything up, bolted it down properly, dried everything out and sprayed all contacts with electrical cleaner. 
Still did it all so no joy, by now the problems were constant and if you mashed the throttle it might go to 2,000 rpm but it fluctuated wildly. My suspicion was a dead throttle pedal, got a 2nd hand one from a breakers and fitted it today. The throttle now works smoothly, before it was all over the place, but when pressing the throttle for the first time the coil light starts flashing, ESP light is always on. This happens even when the ignition is on but the engine is off also. Throttle response seems fine after replacing a faulty throttle pedal. 

Not sure what's causing the error, I suspect I might need to do a throttle calibration or something, but can't find any helpful evidence.

Please can anyone help?

Hi the only way you will help yourself is to invest in a half decent diagnostic platform, my personal device would be OBD Eleven as it is cheap to buy and very effective and depending on the level of unit you buy you can test and adapt many features on the vehicle, loads of guys on here have it and will recommend it, once you have codes its a whole lot easier to fix.

Steve.

So I went and purchased VCDS and the HEX-CANv2 dongle, PSB for what I got back. I can't find any obvious damage with the wiring, the connectors all look good. Unfortunately can't find any diagrams of the cabin loom to see what goes where:

Monday,17,January,2022,12:17:53:26469
VCDS Version: Release 21.9.0 (x64) Running on Windows 10 x64
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 03G-906-016-BLB.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 JD    HW: 028 101 265 4
  Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG  9643
           Software Coding: 0000072
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00468 210 80588
                      VCID: 6E8432D16C91732B45D-803A
1 Fault Found:

005684 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185) 
               P1634 - 000 - Signal too High - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 11100000
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 208708 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 882 /min
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Load: 0.0 %
                    Voltage: 14.29 V
                    Bin. Bits: 11001000
                    Torque: 170.8 Nm
                    Bin. Bits:  0 00  0

Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1 

• 4 months later...

My throttle pedal had packed in and wasn't tracking properly. I replaced it with a new throttle pedal and it all works fine.