Electrical issues and no start

Marko3720

direction
I have a 2008 1.8 tfsi that started  showing a handbrake fault and the brake would not release on one side. I replaced the module and the error continued, it also started showing weird electrical issues, occasionally when you put the key in the car would go completely dead and you could not get the key out, then after a while some of the functions would restore but not correctly, if you pressed hazards only the front illuminated, if you used indicators the drls light up instead, if you opened the door or turned on the interior light the fuel pump could be heard prime.

If let sit for a period of time which could be anything from 15mins to 4hrs all functions returned and the car started

since the weekend the key has been stuck in the ignition 

so far works done ;

Replaced handbrake control module, no difference 

Replaced battery connector and surge protection unit, no difference 

Replaced ccm , no difference 

Replaced bcm , no difference 

Replaced key slot in dash , no difference 

Also one row of fuses in the  drivers side trunk  compartment is only showing 3 volts 

8 minutes ago, Marko3720 said:

Hi Steve 

Thanks for the reply , as there is no power the vcds wont connect , we tried the brake and hazard lights trick to Try wake the car but got no joy 

Hi did you recode each item as you replaced it? as it sounds like the BCM has shut down the Can Gateway module.

Steve.

Hi Steve 

All parts fitted were the same part numbers 

I had no way to code anything as have no access with vcds 

Each item was replaced individually to see if we could get any reaction from the car, if there was no reaction the original part was refitted and we then fitted the next part 

Park module 

Ccm 

Ignition switch 

Bcm 

It looks like my power issues and no communication issue to CAN were all related to corroded wiring in the drivers side trunk area, we found the wiring to be literally crumbling once moved which was possibly as a result of a leak 18months ago. Once the wires were trimmed back and connected all power was restored. I still have my original elrctronic brake issue but that should be easily resolved now the car has power and is starting 😃 below is the link I found that lead me to the source of the issue and hopefully is will save someone else a lot of effort and time if they have the same or similar issues 

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vag-com-discussion-51/b8-chasing-intermittent-codes-can-failures-no-crank-no-start-inspect-splice-2973994/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2