Early 100 C3, how early?

Douglas McGavin

Hello,

I have a very early Audi 100 C3 and I'm interested in trying to find out just how early in the registration sequencing it is, for example; was it the first one ever register in the UK (that would be great!) or was it the 10th or the 100th and so on.  As I'm sure you know, the C3s were introduced in Europe in 1982 and then in the UK in 1983.  My C3 was first registered on 10th June 1983 (Y reg) and the original owner (I bought it from the grandson who inherited it back in 2005) purchased it from a dealer in Germany, it still has the dealer stickers.  I have wondered why he did this, either it was cheaper or they were not yet available in the UK.  The car's RHD.  If anyone has ideas on who would have this information I would be really grateful. 

Many thanks,

Douglas 

Hello Douglas,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum about your interesting car. 
Some of the following may be of interest:- 

DVLA didn’t become digitally operational until 1984, so it’s probable that your car would have been first registered by the county in which the first owner lived. If you let me have the registration letters, then I can identify the county for you, if you don’t know. 
I have experience of some records not being too accurately recorded in the initial change over - e.g. recorded as 1 owner since …(certain date) where earlier history was unclear. 
That would not be the situation in your case, since you have a precise date of first registration in the U.K., but it’s highly unlikely that DVLA would have accurate enough pre June 1983 information to inform you how yours fits in with others ( and I’m pretty sure they don’t provide this search service now anyway). 
If the above is indeed true, then I think I would change my tack, and concentrate on where yours fits in with its build history rather than date of first registration history. I would have thought that Audi Germany would have retained build records, and it so, they should be able to let you know where yours fits into the general model build sequence, and hopefully sub divide that down to its position in the RHD build record - from the VIN/chassis number. 
Good luck with your researches - perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s A family friend used to collect his new Mercedes from the factory around that period. 
Collecting from a dealer?? 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for replying back to me.  Yes, I don't think DVLC are that fussed about digging about for information, from what I hear they are pretty much under staffed at the moment with the covid situation.  I did think of contacting the dealer in Germany but never thought about Audi themselves, that's a good idea Gareth, thanks. The reg letters are PLG and the new owner lived in Chester (I think) until he died in 2005. The car was kept garaged and was in immaculate condition when the grandson took it back to the island of Luing near Oban where it sat until I bought it in 2015.  Island life really took a toll on it especially with the electric but I got it through the MOT and put a few ks on the clock. Unbelievable build quality on these old Audis! Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on. 

Douglas 

Thanks for coming back with the registration details Douglas. 
I can confirm xLG was issued by Chester, so I guess it’s now fair - from what the grandson said - to claim that the original owner lived in that area during the full ownership from new, and until his death in 2005. 
Can we take it that you have a copy of a V5 showing his name and address there at the time? If so, Google Earth? should give you an up to date view of the property - to add to the history file. 

Yes, it would be good to know what it’s date ranking is within the build sequence (and Audi Germany might be able to help), but to me, the full history of the car would be of equal interest, to its ranking in production. It depends what is important to you Douglas, and whether you intend to keep it. 

If this were mine, I would be doing a short write up on the car (with a photo) and submitting it to a local weekly Chester paper, and asking them whether they would be interested in publishing your article - I’m sure they would be. This may well lead you to more information, including where it was serviced, and possibly more detail on its original purchase. 
Interesting - please keep us informed. 
Kind regards,

Gareth 

Thanks for that, Gareth.  Unfortunately, the original owner's address is not on the v5, it would have been good to see where the car had lived. I may still have a contact for the grandson on Luing though, I'm sure he would give me it.  He told me he could remember get picked up from school in the Audi by his grandad when he was a wee boy!  You could tell the car ment a lot to him! One thing I have just noticed on the v5 is under the Special Notes on the front page, it reads: 

No. of former keepers 2 (one would be the grandson,  the other, grandad)

1. Was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1983

I like the idea of sending an article to local paper, might just do that out of interest. It does so happen to have a distinctive reg so maybe someone would have a memory.

I'll be sure to keep you informed though. 

Thanks again, 

Douglas 

• Like 1

Hello Douglas, 

Oh yes, previous owner no longer recorded on V5. Another DVLA clamp down! 

Obviuosly the grandson holds the key to most of the information you’ll need for a fact gathering article. 
Not my business, but would your quest be aimed at hopefully increasing the value of the car, or is it a serious search to gather as much information as possible about a car you intend to keep for some time? 
If the latter then obviously a newspaper article is the way to go. If not, there really would not be much point.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

A bit of both I suppose.  I will sell it some day when the feeling is right.  The main problem at the moment is keeping it under shelter as we are doing a self build and I have to keep moving it around and in and out of the garage.  I did advertise it a couple years ago at the start of the build and there were a few offers, one wanted it for rallies and the other guy lived in Ireland so the car would lose it's reg. I put them off and removed the advert - some sales man!!!  It's off the road at the moment and I have zero time to spend on it.  The reason I'm so keen to find out the reg or build sequence is because I always felt drawn to the car.  I was messing about on eBay and saw it for sale and convinced the wife to take a wee trip to the island so I could have a closer look. I knew nothing about the Audi 100 series and never that interested in getting an old car but something compelled me to buy it, much to the wife horror!! To this day I don't know why l'm so drawn to it and when I realised it's an early model I can't help but wonder just how early it is, maybe that'sthe reason, God. Or maybe I'm just off my rocker!! 

Sooner or later I'll hand over custodianship to the right person who will enjoy it and spend a bit more time and money on it than I would.  The value of these Audi are not much for some reason so would only ever want a fair price.

Thanks, 

Douglas 

Hi Douglas I purchased an Audi 100CD a few years ago, it's a beauty original mats the lot.spent a fortune on this motor with only 32k on the clock one previous owner as well as myself.DVLA has shown it to be the last one one from 86 left on the Rd.original bill of sale and all receipts. Including mots. I did less than 70 miles last year about 150 /200 year before. Been told so many different valuations! Some uber high but mainly between £3/6k I did get an offer from a a German tourist in Brighton that was crazy high but its not for sale. Yet again needs a new window regulator! A dream to drive and gets noticed ! I'm after another original Radio Cassette for it now blew the sound channel! Don't sell keep it

I'm not sure if it's because it's underused but although the window motors last forever but the regulators keeps snapping same window as well.and you have to buy the complete unit.seriously a great joy to drive

Hello Douglas,

As the story unfolds, I begin to believe that my advice to history chase the car via. a local newspaper article, may not be as meaningful as I thought it might be, in terms of the full picture. It would seem that you were absolutely right in your quest to establish the car’s position in the build sequence. Again, this will certainly be of interest, and if it would be your expectation that it’s ranking will add to its value, then you are probably right - to some degree - but simple condition will be worth far more. Whatever, condition will be king. To renovate an early build car will be a very speculative venture if it’s condition is not too good. 
My advice would now be:- check with Audi re. its build history. Find some secure and dry storage for the car to best protect your asset - if it proves to be an asset. 
Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Dell,

It's  the CD I've got too and only 68k on the clock.  I agree, they are lovely to drive and not a bit spongy as I was rather expecting. The other good thing about the Audi is that it'll soon be MOT and TAX exempt. I thought it would start from the registration date but I think it's the year after, which is a bit of a bummer!!

Have also looked into converting it to LPG but I don't think that's possible because of the fuel injection system, but I could be wrong.  Maybe I'll bump into your German tourist guy in Aberfeldy one of these days!! 

Cheers Douglas 

Hi Gareth, 

You're right about condition being king.  It'll probably be the case in the near future that it'll be worth respraying, etc that would really make it stand out.  It's mad to think how many of them were just getting scrapped because they were worth nothing.  The cars been under cover in the garage now for a year but before that it was just sat out in the element from 2005 to 2021.  10 of those year on an island on the west coast of Scotland, they're one tough car!!

Best wishes, 

Douglas 

• Like 1

Hi Douglas, the Starter motor I have is from the 83 it's different from my  86 model. If  you had a way of getting to you you can have it. I renewed . My insurance via my normal company but today had a call from another company that will do it for £139.57 including breakdown. Unbeatable I reckon 

Hello Derek,

’…..insurance via. a normal company…’.

Do you have the car on an agreed value classic car policy? If you don’t have the agreed value bit, then you will find that a scrape on the bumper will render the car a total loss, and you could receive just a handful of coins as payout. 
Such cars really need to be well insured.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

If I can help I will. The regulator on my rear passenger window stopped working and I need a new passenger side sun shade. The starter motor I have is for your year.you can have it if you can arrange collection. Any other bits you need let me know. 

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon , sorry to jump into this chat , just a bit of advice really from some people who appreciate what great cars these  Audis are , I too have an Audi 100ce 2.0e. 1990 , a very well looked after car and for its age I think it’s pretty good , I bought it approx 3-4 yrs ago for my dad who had 1 the same 20 yrs ago and fancied having another one although he’s now 80 + yrs young and driving is getting too much for him , sorry to go on but where is the best place to sell one of these other than eBay ? As it is a kind of special vehicle and I think good ones are now quite rare would it be best to put it on Audi owners site for sale ?