Audi A3 Quattro Sportsback - wheel/tyre downsizing

Buster B

Good morning,

I am hoping someone can help with this. I want to increase the profile of my tyres to try and improve the drive comfort on our pretty abysmal road surfaces. I currently have 225/40 R18's fitted which are due for a change (advisory on the MOT) obviously I have to make sure that I do not significantly reduce the rolling circumference for a number of reasons. Has anyone done this who maybe able to give some advice?

Thanks.

Marcus.

I have not done the job, but given that some A3s had 17 inch wheels instead of the 18 inch that you have at the moment it should be possible to fit smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. You would need to fit tyres of a large enough profile to ensure the overall diameter is unchanged, otherwise it would affect steering/suspension/drive ratios/speedometer.

2 hours ago, Buster B said:

Hi,

Ok thanks for the prompt reply. I will investigate further.

Kind regards

Hi they did three sizes of wheel on your model, if you are looking for a more comfortable ride go for 205x55x16 or a good compromise between comfort and retaining all the handling go 205x50x17, either should be good but if you get the 17inch with a 7J rim that will give you the option of going for a 215 width tyre, have a look on wheel size .com

Steve. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I’m looking for a set of these for my 12 plate A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Quattro, in 18”. Seen online but they’re asking in excess of £1200 for a refurbished set of four. That can’t be right … can it!??🤷🏽‍♂️ Are they really that sort after/expensive?😳

9700A634-181D-456F-86F5-4AECA58D6E20.jpeg

Edited by KaiA3

2 hours ago, KaiA3 said:

Hi, I’m looking for a set of these for my 12 plate A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Quattro, in 18”. Seen online but they’re asking in excess of £1200 for a refurbished set of four. That can’t be right … can it!??🤷🏽‍♂️ Are they really that sort after/expensive?😳

9700A634-181D-456F-86F5-4AECA58D6E20.jpeg

Wheels aren't cheap. I'm looking for a set for shows currently. I'd definitely check eBay

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Wheels aren't cheap. I'm looking for a set for shows currently. I'd definitely check ebay. 

Yeah I know, but we’re talking a reconditioned wheel. I must admit that for me, that style is about the best there is. Modern wheels designs are far too busy for my liking, & an absolute fiddly nightmare to keep clean. That said, £1.4k for 2nd hand wheels is a bit rich for me. Are you looking for the same style wheels?

40 minutes ago, KaiA3 said:

Yeah I know, but we’re talking a reconditioned wheel. I must admit that for me, that style is about the best there is. Modern wheels designs are far too busy for my liking, & an absolute fiddly nightmare to keep clean. That said, £1.4k for 2nd hand wheels is a bit rich for me. Are you looking for the same style wheels?

I too am looking for older style wheels. But my A6 is older than your Audi. The two sets I'm looking at are £500 and that's for 20 year old refurbed wheels. In my case I'm just looking for some different wheels for shows only.