Defective Suspension Nut (Many models built between 2019 - 2021 affected)

Chris 747

I received a message about a defective nut from "Automotive News" as follows:

Audi hasn’t been very active in terms of service recalls in North America recently, but the German automaker is now making the headlines with a rather interesting campaign. Approximately 100,000 cars from the brand will be recalled globally due to a potential displacement of the rear suspension links. This may seem like a very standard recall, however, the issue comes as a result of a previous recall.

Back in June last year, Audi recalled many cars from the A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, Q8, E-Tron models built between 2019 and 2021 to replace nuts on the rear axle suspension links that did not meet specifications. According to the bulletin released then, a defective nut could increase play between the suspension link and the hub carrier, which can result in bad wheel alignment of the rear axle.

Following the campaign, which eventually expanded to cover about 150,000 globally, Audi started receiving complaints from customers of increased tire wear and worsened vehicle handling. After its own internal investigation, the German automaker discovered that during the recall, “a part on the rear axle may have been inadvertently and unknowingly set to the wrong specifications in some cases,” as Automotive News reports.

Are you aware of this? If so, has anyone here been in touch with Audi UK about it?

• 1 month later...

I have this problem with my 2020 Q5. Car recalled in July 2021. New  rear tyres fitted in Feb 2022 with only 18000 miles on them. Still 45% wear left on the front so huge discrepancy in wear. Car recalled again in March 2022 as Audi now think some vehicles tyres wore out quicker than they should because of misalignment. Audi Leicester say that my alignment was correct at the second recall so I have no claim to be reimbursed for the cost of the tyres £631. My argument is obviously the alignment was correct at the second recall as it would have been done when the new tyres were fitted! Have spoken to Audi Customer Services and they are investigating.

Hello Annette,

Thanks for being in touch with the forum. I think we are really back in your hands on this, and we need to know what the first recall was for - tyres or something else?? 
If knowingly for tyres, then I would assume that you would have had a look at them, prior to taking the car in, so you would have been aware of the amount of remaining tread and any uneven wear. 
Perhaps you could come back to us and clarify. 

Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Was the recall perhaps specifically in relation to the OP’s North American details?

No, the first recall July 2021 was to replace nuts on the rear suspension and I'd had the car for one year, no mention at this point about tyres. Second recall March 2022 and my letter from Audi admitted that some owners had experienced excessive tyre wear as the technicians were not instructed to check alignment on the first recall. Audi claim to offer reimbursement for those owners affected. I'm still waiting for Audi Customer Services to contact me. Audi Leicester advised me to contact them and when I did Audi Customer Services told me to speak to Audi Leicester but in the meantime they would speak to Audi Leicester on my behalf. Still waiting for a response.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Annette said:

No, the first recall July 2021 was to replace nuts on the rear suspension and I'd had the car for one year, no mention at this point about tyres. Second recall March 2022 and my letter from Audi admitted that some owners had experienced excessive tyre wear as the technicians were not instructed to check alignment on the first recall. Audi claim to offer reimbursement for those owners affected. I'm still waiting for Audi Customer Services to contact me. Audi Leicester advised me to contact them and when I did Audi Customer Services told me to speak to Audi Leicester but in the meantime they would speak to Audi Leicester on my behalf. Still waiting for a response.

Good luck, please keep us posted on how you get on. Don't let them fob you off - which it sounds they're trying to do. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got a result with the premature wear on my rear tyres after recalls 42L1 and 42L5. After contacting Audi Customer Services and not being fobbed off by Audi Leicester between them they are reimbursing me for the replacement cost of my tyres £631.00. Shame it took so long!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Annette said:

Got a result with the premature wear on my rear tyres after recalls 42L1 and 42L5. After contacting Audi Customer Services and not being fobbed off by Audi Leicester between them they are reimbursing me for the replacement cost of my tyres £631.00. Shame it took so long!

That's great news 🙂 glad you got sorted in the end 😊