Drive system: engine must be running

SouthPawPaul

Hi,

I picked up my new to me 2021 A3 TFSIe Sportback yesterday and it dissapointingly has a few issues. I've notifed the garage, but wanted to post here to see if any knowledgable folks could give me the heads up as to the problems.

The first and less annoying issue is the navigation system just sits on the initialising screen and doesn't get any further. I can use Apple CarPlay so it's a minor problem.

The most annoying issue is, on the 10 mile drive home a message "Drive system: engine must be running" keeps popping up. It must have popped up 40 times on the short drive home. I've included a short video of it happening in the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gpp6RRLdOfMF1jyvHaZJ9RuV42VdgPKi/view?usp=sharing

I hope someone can shed some light!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, MMI rebooting, SOS not working and drive system engine must be running while I am driving.

My car went in for a software fix last Friday. At lunchtime my friendly Audi dealer called me to say the software update had been recalled so nothing has been done to resolve the issue.

Be patient & learn to live with it until the software patch is released and the problems are fixed.

Oddly, since posting this message, I charged the car to full overnight and I haven't seen that message again! Even driving the car so that the battery went from full to empty. Still no message.

However, since then I have seen the MMI rebooting regularly and the SoS warning message once (also the navigation system is stuck on the initialisation screen permanently).

I've seen online someone reporting that the MMI rebooting can be prevented by logging on as guest rather than a logged in user. I've yet to try this myself so don't know if this works. The downside is you lose any phone app functionality you rely on (preheating, etc.)

• 5 months later...

I am so underwhelmed by my A3 and Audi in general.

I just had the so called software updates that have quite frankly made things worse.

I now have the drive system - engine must be running message and I'm having to use my mobile phone in a holder with the bluetooth turned off for navigation & music.

If it wasn't a company car, I would have taken it back by now.

Hello Martha (& Paul?),

The OP’s problem seemed to have been solved by charging the battery. The battery condition would have been my first consideration. 
In your case:- Does the car get regular daily reasonably long runs? 
If not, I would not discount battery condition in your case as well. Although the car is relatively new, it could well be that the car sat around for months ( awaiting vital components) with a flattening battery - before dispatch, and the battery is now passed its best. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Just to be clear, after 18 months and 14000 miles my Audi A3 etron still has software issues which causes the MMI system to reboot randomly, it disconnects phone calls and until it has restarted I have no control over the drive functions. An SOS failure still occurs which disables the bluetooth system so I have to stop and make or receive calls manually. These faults could occur within 2 minutes of starting my journey or 2 hours later, they can also recurr repeatedly within a few minutes so there is no trust in the system. Audi should be ashamed for having released this car on customers and then left them without a fix. Fortunately for me this is a company car, sadly for Audi our new fleet won't contain any Audi's.

I'm also getting these and *still* waiting for a software fix. shameful. I'm really thinking of giving mine back even though I'm only 6 months into a 36 month PCP.

As for when the SoS system goes into failure, there is a work around.

I usually wait until the system does a reboot after about 1 minute after the SoS failure message. It will load the guest user settings. I'm not sure if you have to wait. I always do.

• Open the emergency button flap on the light cluster in the ceiling. It's opened by pressing it and it pops open.
  • Press and hold the inner button for a 2-3 seconds and let go. You can also at this stage close the protective flap too.
  • After about 45 seconds (can be longer or shorter), the "SoS" warning light on the instrument cluster will go out
  • a few seconds later you will hear "an emergency call is being made" and the MMI will have a "Cancel" button on it.
  • Press the button to cancel the call

The MMI will reboot again after about 1 minute and your usual profile and all call making facilities will be restored.

On a long journey however (4+ hours), I discovered this can only be done once per "Engine On"/Trip. If it's attempted a second time nothing happens.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:03 PM, SouthPawPaul said:

I'm also getting these and *still* waiting for a software fix. shameful. I'm really thinking of giving mine back even though I'm only 6 months into a 36 month PCP.

As for when the SoS system goes into failure, there is a work around.

I usually wait until the system does a reboot after about 1 minute after the SoS failure message. It will load the guest user settings. I'm not sure if you have to wait. I always do.

• Open the emergency button flap on the light cluster in the ceiling. It's opened by pressing it and it pops open.
  • Press and hold the inner button for a 2-3 seconds and let go. You can also at this stage close the protective flap too.
  • After about 45 seconds (can be longer or shorter), the "SoS" warning light on the instrument cluster will go out
  • a few seconds later you will hear "an emergency call is being made" and the MMI will have a "Cancel" button on it.
  • Press the button to cancel the call

The MMI will reboot again after about 1 minute and your usual profile and all call making facilities will be restored.

On a long journey however (4+ hours), I discovered this can only be done once per "Engine On"/Trip. If it's attempted a second time nothing happens.

I had to use the workaround for a while but I am happy to say that since the software upgrade on the 11th of August I have had no further instances of any of the MMI crashes or the sos failure

• 1 year later...

hi paul, do you still have the problem with the drive system engine must be running issue? as my partners car has developed the issue since it was recalled for a electrical panel safety issue, fortunately there was no issue with this electrical panel but now, she is getting the same warning you have in your video, audi say it isn`t a issue 

My assumption on why this was happening was due to the car sitting for a while and a battery having a low charge. After a week or so the problem went away.

I have sold that car now as I was so disgusted with Audi in the way they handled the constant rebooting of the navigation system. Not just with my car but all the Audis in the UK that exhibited the problem. I'll probably never buy Audi again.

• 1 month later...

I’m getting the “Drive system: engine must be running message” on my 2021 tfsi e which I bought used yesterday. Tried a full charge but still getting the message. Any ideas what could be causing this?

• 2 weeks later...