Powersteering fluid is coming out the cap pressure release

kaneelschep
聽Share

Hi all.

I have an issue that the Powersteering fluid is coming out the cap pressure release hole while driving.

When I take take the cap of the reservoir with an idling engine, its flowing so hard that its coming out.

I changed the oil twice. Its the correct green stuff especially for this car. After flushing the oil, the issue goes away for about 100km.

But then comes back. The pump also makes noises while steering then.

Noises like it wasnt blead enough. But I think thats just from the airbubbles because of the high pressure or flow issue.

It will all be gone after another flush. For a few km's 馃槈

Could it be because I fixed the pipe going to the cooler from the rack. It had a rip in it, so I cut it and put a little piece of pipe in it. and two hoseclamps holding it together.

It doent leak there though.,

Thanks!!

Edited by kaneelschep

4 hours ago, kaneelschep said:

Hi all.

I have an issue that the Powersteering fluid is coming out the cap pressure release hole while driving.

When I take take the cap of the reservoir with an idling engine, its flowing so hard that its coming out.

I changed the oil twice. Its the correct green stuff especially for this car. After flushing the oil, the issue goes away for about 100km.

But then comes back. The pump also makes noises while steering then.

Noises like it wasnt blead enough. But I think thats just from the airbubbles because of the high pressure or flow issue.

It will all be gone after another flush. For a few km's 馃槈

Could it be because I fixed the pipe going to the cooler from the rack. It had a rip in it, so I cut it and put a little piece of pipe in it. and two hoseclamps holding it together.

It doent leak there though.,

Thanks!!

Hi its the fluid reservoir there is a filter built into the reservoir which over time becomes blocked and eventually tears thus allowing the fluid to flow freely which manifests itself in to much air in the fluid. [pump noise] and the high flow rate you are experiencing, the fixing of the pipe is nothing to do with it unless you used a much smaller bore of pipe to bridge it which would cause extra pressure by limiting the flow rate to the rack.

Steve.

That sounds very interesting! would it help to clean the filter? Is that even possible? Or would this just need a new reservoir as a whole?

I used a bit of metal pipe I had laying around to fix the tube. It had quite a thin wall. So should not restrict a lot.

The powersteering cooler bore is definitely smaller.

20 hours ago, kaneelschep said:

That sounds very interesting! would it help to clean the filter? Is that even possible? Or would this just need a new reservoir as a whole?

I used a bit of metal pipe I had laying around to fix the tube. It had quite a thin wall. So should not restrict a lot.

The powersteering cooler bore is definitely smaller.

Hi the pipe bit sounds ok but you definitely need a new reservoir as if its the original its way past saving as by the sound of your description the reservoir filter has given up.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a new meyle reservoir last month. Finally had a free hour yesterday. Drained the fluid from the downtube to the cooler. Took the old reservoir out and low and behold. The filter was competely loose in it. Replaced the reservoir. Hooked it all back up. got the air out by left righting about 10 times with engine off. Then same with engine on. dont forget to top up the fluid 馃槈

Drove it a bit. Flow is a lot less than before. It all stays nicely in the reservoir. No sounds from pump or rack. Lets see if it stays that way. But it all seems good.

So thanks a lot!! @Stevey Y

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kaneelschep said:

I got a new meyle reservoir last month. Finally had a free hour yesterday. Drained the fluid from the downtube to the cooler. Took the old reservoir out and low and behold. The filter was competely loose in it. Replaced the reservoir. Hooked it all back up. got the air out by left righting about 10 times with engine off. Then same with engine on. dont forget to top up the fluid 馃槈

Drove it a bit. Flow is a lot less than before. It all stays nicely in the reservoir. No sounds from pump or rack. Lets see if it stays that way. But it all seems good.

Fantastic news glad you got sorted 馃檪 thanks for letting us know the outcome 鈽猴笍

10 hours ago, kaneelschep said:

Hi pleased you got some silence at last, the noises are caused by extra air being introduced into the system, now its got a smooth flow pattern through the new filter that will all stop, Happy Motoring.

Steve.