Audi A5 B9 2.0 Diesel Ultra EGR Valve

jdragon

Has anyone removed and cleaned the EGR valve on a DETA engine? I attempted it yesterday but it looks like there's so much to remove, I abandoned the task.

I'm assuming it has never been done on my A5, and at 60k it's likely to be in need of a clean soon, if the build up is similar to my old A4 B8 diesel that I cleaned every 30-40k.

Given the effort, I'm wondering if a more frequent "remove a pipe and spray clean" would at least manage the build up, though knowing what it takes to actually clean the valve, I have low expectations.

I'm also wondering where the crap goes downstream from the insitu cleaning method e.g. stuck in the CAT?

If anyone has some experience to share, I'd be very grateful to learn from it.

EGR.jpg

There's a product called liquid moly on this thread that a couple of people have tried to clean the egr. Might be worth considering: 

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/27259/ 

Dunno.if.this link might help either: 

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/193422-2-0-TDi-Ultra-CNHA-EGR-and-cooler-removal-and-cleaning/page3

On 4/15/2022 at 7:39 AM, jdragon said:

Has anyone removed and cleaned the EGR valve on a DETA engine? I attempted it yesterday but it looks like there's so much to remove, I abandoned the task.

I'm assuming it has never been done on my A5, and at 60k it's likely to be in need of a clean soon, if the build up is similar to my old A4 B8 diesel that I cleaned every 30-40k.

Given the effort, I'm wondering if a more frequent "remove a pipe and spray clean" would at least manage the build up, though knowing what it takes to actually clean the valve, I have low expectations.

I'm also wondering where the crap goes downstream from the insitu cleaning method e.g. stuck in the CAT?

If anyone has some experience to share, I'd be very grateful to learn from it.

EGR.jpg

Hi Cataclean is a better product as it dissolves the carbon into small bite size particles which are more easily burnt and it cleans the innards of the CAT/DPF but at 60k I wouldn't get over excited as decent fuel and an additive will keep it at bay.

Steve.

Thanks for the links and info.

I'm planning to try the cataclean next week when it arrives, so I'll report back.

It could be that now the car is moving again, and I've been using Millers Diesel Power Ecomax with every fill (Esso), a bit of crap has been shifted and that's what has thrown the error so just needs a few regens/help to clear.

Edited by jdragon

• 4 months later...

Just to close this topic and avoid causing any confusion, the photo I uploaded in the first post is not the EGR valve.

The EGR valve and cooler are located on the lower left rear side of the engine. The side of the valve can been seen looking through the gap indicated by the box in the photo.

Foy anyone wanting to attempt this as a DIY, I can confirm it a 6+ hour job, and requires a great deal of patience

With regards to the Cataclean, I used it back in April and drove to work (~35 miles) in 5th gear so the revs were at around 2000rpm

There are several corners and roundabouts within 0.5 mile of leaving work before I get onto the A road. On the way home, I instantly noticed the car was much smoother accelerating so ran the Cataclean through another 35 miles.

I took some measurements from the particulate filter before and after that can ben found here:

Obviously it didn't fix the P2002 error because at the point at which the light comes on, removal is the only option. However in my view Cataclean is a superb product (thanks @Stevey Y). The car still feels very smooth when cold even before having the EGR Cooler and Valve replaced, so I have continued to use it at the frequency recommended. I've since mentioned it to others for their cars (other Audis, VW, BMW, Vauxhall) with mileage ranging from 60 - 240k and they have all reported the same outcome from the initial dose. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi I know this is an old thread but I have same car with same fault but recently found that my egrs are previously been mapped out? Do you have any idea why I would still be getting the fault? Is it the low pressure egr you replaced? Thanks 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:36 PM, AlanF said:

Hi I know this is an old thread but I have same car with same fault but recently found that my egrs are previously been mapped out? Do you have any idea why I would still be getting the fault? Is it the low pressure egr you replaced? Thanks 

@AlanF it's detailed here in the thread you've commented on 🙂

On 6/3/2023 at 5:36 PM, AlanF said:

Hi you can't map out the low pressure EGR its embedded in the software, the high pressure EGR can be mapped out which creates its own problems in so much that the exhaust gasses are hotter in the turbo and DPF and if the Adblue is still running it crystallises faster.

Steve.

Hi Steve thanks for the reply. The guy who checked the software says both egrs are mapped out? I’m a bit confused with it all tbh. Really don’t know what to do for the best any more. I’ve been onto Arnold Clark as they sold the car already mapped without disclosing to me. 

Here's what I would do.

Revert the mapping so the car can see the EGRs

Run it. If light comes on (which it probably will) have it diagnosed and it'll probably end up needing a new EGR and cooler.

Accept that if you keep the car for several years, it'll need doing again but when exactly will depend on mileage, driving pattern, fuel quality.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice much apreciated. That’s probably what I will need to do. It has done 49k miles and I do around a couple of hundred miles a week average with most of it motorway/ urban but only on motorway for 10-15 mins at a time. 

On 6/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, AlanF said:

Hi Steve thanks for the reply. The guy who checked the software says both egrs are mapped out? I’m a bit confused with it all tbh. Really don’t know what to do for the best any more. I’ve been onto Arnold Clark as they sold the car already mapped without disclosing to me. 

Hi my accountant bought a 3 series BMW from a local high end car sales establishment and after three months the car went in on recall from BMW thats when the whole horrible mess was discovered it had been remapped and the Cat and DPF had been gutted none of this was mentioned in the sales pitch and the company that sold it were obliged to pay for all the remedial work at BMW, a dealer is not allowed to sell a modified car that has the emissions tinkered with as its technically only for off road use therefore illegal and not fit for purpose.

Steve.

That’s good to know Steve. I was kinda thinking along these lines myself. I spoke to them earlier and they will get back to me after they’ve had a reply from the showroom I bought it from. Guy said they will need to do there own diagnostics also before they make a decision, but I’d imagine/hope they will need to do as j dragon said earlier but out of there pocket.