A4 allroad Retrofit genuine Audi Swivel/Retracting towbar A4 B9 and All-Road

Steve Q

Completed by Daniel Osborne on audi-sport.net. 

For anyone following in my footsteps wanting to install a genuine retractable towbar here's how to do it. If you only want to perform coding for a removable towbar (using genuine Audi parts to connect to the CAN bus) then you can follow the subset of instructions below.

Prerequisits
- Audi A4 B9 (Allroad) - these come with tow prep - but for the life of me I've never been able to get Audi to explain what this means.
- Audi A4 B9 - need to ensure that you have space in the well below the rear bumper for the towbar to fit and extend. The cut out is approx 30cm wide by 20cm deep - I believe that on A4 models it may require cutting the space in the bottom of the rear bumper. The position of the opening means that neither the opening nor the towbar can be see when it's retracted.
- VCDS or VCP - if you are installing a removable towbar you can code it with VCDS alone. If you are installing a restractable towbar you can code it ith VCDS prodiving your tow controller has been parameterised. If not you need VCP so that you can parameterise it. This process takes 30 seconds and is a guided function within VCP so I'm happy to help people who need it.

Parts
- Genuine retractable towbar

- Allroad 8W0800491N
- B9 the last letter of the above part number changes depending on the model - you can find out from Audi what should fit your car.

- Wiring loom, switch and controller: https://wibutec-shop.com/Kabelsatz-fuer-schwenkbare-Anhaengerkupplung-Audi-A4-8W

- Tow Controller (I got mine direct from Audi so only bought the wiring loom from Wibutech) 4M0907383F (again the last digit of this seems to be different in different models.)
- Tow bar release switch 8W0951511 (I also got this direct from Audi)

- OR removable towbar https://wibutec-shop.com/Westfalia-Anhaengerkupplung-Anhaengezugvorrichtung-fuer-Audi-A4-B9
- Wiring loom and controller
- 7 or 13 pin connector https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a4-b...ds-13-pin-westfalia-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Installation
The instructions from Wibutech are provided via PDF - they are 10Mb so I can't attach them here but can send them onto people that need them.

Coding
The Wibutech document contains the necessary coding instructions but here they are: 

09 - central electrics (security code 31347)
Long coding: hitch_ecu - change to
installed

46 - Central module comfort system
trailer monitoring – change to active
trailer control unit – change to installed

3C - Lane Change Assist
ECU for draw bar – change to with ECU for draw bar
Or
Trailer control unit – change to installed

17 - Dashboard
Trailer – change to yes

6C - reverse camera system
equipment_ahk/trailer detection – change to installed

74 - chassis control system
Trailer – change to installed

10 or 76 - PDC controller
Trailer – change to trailer device can be removed manually

13 - controller distance control (security code 20103)
Control module for towing sens/Control module for trailer – change to installed

A5 - front sensors driver assistance system
AAG/Trailer electrics – change to coded

6D - boot lid electronics controller
Trailer/controller for trailer – change to installed 

Parameterising the Control Unit
This is where I got stuck - I'd done all the above but the release button for my tow bar just refused to work. I tried changing the coding options in VCDS but it made no difference. If you're lucky your control unit may be parameterised already but it not you will need VCP to do this. I've attached a screen shot below but from the VCP file manager you download the ZDC file for the Audi A4 Tow Controller and then use the File Upload function to upload it to Module 69. The whole process took less than 30 seconds once I knew what to do and the button started working immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I want to install a retrofit genuin retracting towbar.

I went to Audi to buy the part. They gave the number part 8W0092157B, but they told me that it’s need a license activation to work. The reseller doesn’t accept to activate it if I make the install on my own.

I didn’t buy it yet, I’m wondering if it’s  possible to activate the control unit with VCP ?

2 hours ago, Wakior said:

Hello everyone,

I want to install a retrofit genuin retracting towbar.

I went to Audi to buy the part. They gave the number part 8W0092157B, but they told me that it’s need a license activation to work. The reseller doesn’t accept to activate it if I make the install on my own.

I didn’t buy it yet, I’m wondering if it’s  possible to activate the control unit with VCP ?

Very good question. I'd speak to a independent towbar fitter about activating it. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, Steve Q said:

Completed by Daniel Osborne on audi-sport.net. 

For anyone following in my footsteps wanting to install a genuine retractable towbar here's how to do it. If you only want to perform coding for a removable towbar (using genuine Audi parts to connect to the CAN bus) then you can follow the subset of instructions below.

Prerequisits
- Audi A4 B9 (Allroad) - these come with tow prep - but for the life of me I've never been able to get Audi to explain what this means.
- Audi A4 B9 - need to ensure that you have space in the well below the rear bumper for the towbar to fit and extend. The cut out is approx 30cm wide by 20cm deep - I believe that on A4 models it may require cutting the space in the bottom of the rear bumper. The position of the opening means that neither the opening nor the towbar can be see when it's retracted.
- VCDS or VCP - if you are installing a removable towbar you can code it with VCDS alone. If you are installing a restractable towbar you can code it ith VCDS prodiving your tow controller has been parameterised. If not you need VCP so that you can parameterise it. This process takes 30 seconds and is a guided function within VCP so I'm happy to help people who need it.

Parts
- Genuine retractable towbar

- Allroad 8W0800491N
- B9 the last letter of the above part number changes depending on the model - you can find out from Audi what should fit your car.

- Wiring loom, switch and controller: https://wibutec-shop.com/Kabelsatz-fuer-schwenkbare-Anhaengerkupplung-Audi-A4-8W

- Tow Controller (I got mine direct from Audi so only bought the wiring loom from Wibutech) 4M0907383F (again the last digit of this seems to be different in different models.)
- Tow bar release switch 8W0951511 (I also got this direct from Audi)

- OR removable towbar https://wibutec-shop.com/Westfalia-Anhaengerkupplung-Anhaengezugvorrichtung-fuer-Audi-A4-B9
- Wiring loom and controller
- 7 or 13 pin connector https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a4-b...ds-13-pin-westfalia-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Installation
The instructions from Wibutech are provided via PDF - they are 10Mb so I can't attach them here but can send them onto people that need them.

Coding
The Wibutech document contains the necessary coding instructions but here they are: 

09 - central electrics (security code 31347)
Long coding: hitch_ecu - change to
installed

46 - Central module comfort system
trailer monitoring – change to active
trailer control unit – change to installed

3C - Lane Change Assist
ECU for draw bar – change to with ECU for draw bar
Or
Trailer control unit – change to installed

17 - Dashboard
Trailer – change to yes

6C - reverse camera system
equipment_ahk/trailer detection – change to installed

74 - chassis control system
Trailer – change to installed

10 or 76 - PDC controller
Trailer – change to trailer device can be removed manually

13 - controller distance control (security code 20103)
Control module for towing sens/Control module for trailer – change to installed

A5 - front sensors driver assistance system
AAG/Trailer electrics – change to coded

6D - boot lid electronics controller
Trailer/controller for trailer – change to installed 

Parameterising the Control Unit
This is where I got stuck - I'd done all the above but the release button for my tow bar just refused to work. I tried changing the coding options in VCDS but it made no difference. If you're lucky your control unit may be parameterised already but it not you will need VCP to do this. I've attached a screen shot below but from the VCP file manager you download the ZDC file for the Audi A4 Tow Controller and then use the File Upload function to upload it to Module 69. The whole process took less than 30 seconds once I knew what to do and the button started working immediately.

Hi Steve, do you have a pdf of the wiring install. I going to make my own harness, I've found out the required plugs etc but some of the connection points in the audi wiring I'm unsure about. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:46 PM, Dannyboy123 said:

Hi Steve, do you have a pdf of the wiring install. I going to make my own harness, I've found out the required plugs etc but some of the connection points in the audi wiring I'm unsure about. 

I don't unfortunately. 

• 7 months later...