Suspension New shocks for my a6c6 estate fsi 3.2 quattro

Jeaningo

Hello Folks

I have a lot of question it's my first audi.I would like to spent new shocks I see some from Monroe and some from sachs and as well self levelling rear shocks I'm not sure if have rear airsuspension, self levelling shocks or standart ones any experience with replacing the shocks? 

Thanks 

Jean 

Self leveling suspension isn't the same as air suspension. 

Air suspension has bags instead of springs. I suspect you should have self leveling suspension but the best thing to do is contact the parts suppliers to Mack sure you're getting the right ones. 

I'd get genuine parts if possible, but I've got sach rear shocks on my c5 and they're ok. I couldn't get genuine ones as they're no long made.

3 hours ago, Jeaningo said:

Hello Folks

I have a lot of question it's my first audi.I would like to spent new shocks I see some from Monroe and some from sachs and as well self levelling rear shocks I'm not sure if have rear airsuspension, self levelling shocks or standart ones any experience with replacing the shocks? 

Thanks 

Jean 

Hi Monroe are O.E so are Sachs and bilstein B4  the manufacturer has been in and out of bed with most suppliers some point it all hinged on who was cheaper at the time.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Self leveling suspension isn't the same as air suspension. 

Air suspension has bags instead of springs. I suspect you should have self leveling suspension but the best thing to do is contact the parts suppliers to Mack sure you're getting the right ones. 

I'd get genuine parts if possible, but I've got sach rear shocks on my c5 and they're ok. I couldn't get genuine ones as they're no long made.

Hi anything would be an improvement over Citroen O.E. shocks they are appalling as they just use the cheapest suppliers they can, a couple of the older models I have worked on had oil only shock absorbers which as far as I was aware became extinct after the seventies.

Steve.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi anything would be an improvement over Citroen O.E. shocks they are appalling as they just use the cheapest suppliers they can, a couple of the older models I have worked on had oil only shock absorbers which as far as I was aware became extinct after the seventies.

Steve.

Sorry I just THOUGHT about it you may be talking about a Sinclair C5.

Steve.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Sorry I just THOUGHT about it you may be talking about a Sinclair C5.

Steve.

Lol I mean A6 c5, but you already knew that! 🤣 

Let's not get on the topic of the Sinclair c5, our views on electric vehicles (I call them all milkfloats) will bore most members to tears lol. 

In all seriousness though Steve, am I right in thinking that for self leveling suspension there would be a sensor connected to the shock? As that would narrow down the OP shock options. 

On another note, Dan you believe you can't get self leveling shocks for my a6 anymore. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Lol I mean A6 c5, but you already knew that! 🤣 

Let's not get on the topic of the Sinclair c5, our views on electric vehicles (I call them all milkfloats) will bore most members to tears lol. 

In all seriousness though Steve, am I right in thinking that for self leveling suspension there would be a sensor connected to the shock? As that would narrow down the OP shock options. 

On another note, Dan you believe you can't get self leveling shocks for my a6 anymore. 

Hi yes there is a connection but that becomes redundant with the fitting of aftermarket shocks, the old cure for that was bridge the connector with a diode so it thinks its still working on some cars you don't even need the diode, its like the conversion I did on an old Jaguar Sovereign after installing the twin angled conventional shocks with the new brackets I had to cap off the reservoirs and feed pipes but because the sensor was not receiving any info from the reservoirs it thought it was stopped permanently, no warning lights. They were all pretty simple systems but not that reliable as they can't follow the dynamic travel of any road the same way as a conventional shock will, they are great if you want to drive round at 30mph everywhere, if you ever have a mind try Bilstein B6s they are like travelling on rails.

Steve.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yes there is a connection but that becomes redundant with the fitting of aftermarket shocks, the old cure for that was bridge the connector with a diode so it thinks its still working on some cars you don't even need the diode, its like the conversion I did on an old Jaguar Sovereign after installing the twin angled conventional shocks with the new brackets I had to cap off the reservoirs and feed pipes but because the sensor was not receiving any info from the reservoirs it thought it was stopped permanently, no warning lights. They were all pretty simple systems but not that reliable as they can't follow the dynamic travel of any road the same way as a conventional shock will, they are great if you want to drive round at 30mph everywhere, if you ever have a mind try Bilstein B6s they are like travelling on rails.

Steve.

It's funny you mention the bilsteins as I was considering the full suspension kit (£700+) worth lowers the car by 30mm too (not that I'm going for anything racey) just thought it'd improve the handling as genuine Audi suspension parts are no longer made.