All dash warning lights coming on

Etch

On 1/10/2023 at 11:48 PM, BlackAudi said:

Hey guys,

my 2016 c7.5 had been suffering the same crazy ‘Christmas lights’ symptoms for more than a year. Changed 3 speed sensors, steering column (had free play anyway) yet it persisted.

Finally decided to try changing speed sensors cables (dame there’s lots of stripping works😅) and it’s all good now.

Hi. Did you have any error codes related to speed sensor malfunction? 

My car is A6 Allroad Quattro 3.0 V6 Bi Turbo 313BHP 2014 engine code CGQB

I have the same issue. Christmas light and !Removed! annoying beeping. I tried almost everything. I've bought a new battery and off eBay a used ABS pump with module and I swapped it. Still all the errors come back. 
I've bought a new ABS/Speed sensor and plugged it in both sides to see if anything changed. No success. Now I'm waiting for a brake light switch as I read it can cause lots of trouble but I have no errors related to switch.
My ABS module simply loses communication and the computer cannot discover its presence. The interesting fact is that when I disconnect the ABS module plug and connect it again, then for a few minutes or seconds (always a surprise when) it gets back communication and I can read the codes related to lost communication with ABS module.
Does anybody have any idea what could be faulty? Is there a relay that might play with me or maybe the unit from eBay is also broken? I've never had any DTC related to bad sensor, bad wiring or anything like this. I'm utterly fed up.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2023 at 6:02 PM, Etch said:

Hey man, sorry to hear that.  Issue isn't battery, it's just when someone sits in the middle of the back seat, so has to be something like a short somewhere.  In the end I just put the armrest down in the back so nobody can sit in the middle .... doesn't happen anymore since I did that.  Not a solution but it's good enough to keep my sanity

Hey Etch.... I had the same problem on my 2012 audi a6 just after purchasing the vehicle (bought it used). You are completely correct by saying that it is every time someone sits on the Centre seat in the back seat. There is a control unit underneath the seat which causes this issue every time people sit. The wiring to the unit goes loose and causes a shot, which results in all the many faults on the dash. 

Please take the car in and have your auto electrician properly reconnect the wires to the unit and you will be sorted. 

Apologise for late response.

My problem goes away completely after changing out the abs sensors wiring harness. Took me more than a year to figure out these sickening issues after various diagnostics and parts unnecessarily.

Edited by BlackAudi

2 hours ago, Rea said:

Hey Etch.... I had the same problem on my 2012 audi a6 just after purchasing the vehicle (bought it used). You are completely correct by saying that it is every time someone sits on the Centre seat in the back seat. There is a control unit underneath the seat which causes this issue every time people sit. The wiring to the unit goes loose and causes a shot, which results in all the many faults on the dash. 

Please take the car in and have your auto electrician properly reconnect the wires to the unit and you will be sorted. 

Aha thanks for this. When I took car to previous electrician I made it clear I want him to remove the back seat and look in the middle. In the end he charged me for no fix and said he didn't remove the seat because he knows there is nothing there. The "customer is right" policy doesn't apply to mechanics, even when they are getting paid for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 7:52 PM, Etch said:

Aha thanks for this. When I took car to previous electrician I made it clear I want him to remove the back seat and look in the middle. In the end he charged me for no fix and said he didn't remove the seat because he knows there is nothing there. The "customer is right" policy doesn't apply to mechanics, even when they are getting paid for it.

I honestly would not pay if they checked the opposite of what i asked to check. And the second electrician fixed it?

I'm guessing the previous one said there was nothing there, but in reality just did not want to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Etch and all.

I've just signed up as this was one of the many (prob 200+) threads I read on the internet regarding similar issues i.e TPMS, ABS, Spoiler, Park Brake, Stop Start errors etc.

I've been having this issue with my A7 for a couple of weeks now. and after spending almost £400 replacing abs wheel sensors, suspect coolant valves and testing with a new battery...it turns out it was actually the central gateway module under the rear seat or the wiring loom leading up to the gateway that's faulty/shorting. 

I saw your post re your kids movement causing the glitches and low and behold when I applied hand pressure to the seat and carpet around the area of the module my dash lit up like a xmas tree. worse my instrument panel and mmi was going crazy too and rebooting whilst driving. Anyway I removed the rear bench and disconnected/reconnected the module and so far I have driven 20 miles with no issue. Prior to this I couldn't drive 10m before the car started pinging like mad.

VCDS scans weren't really helpful either as they showed intermittent loss of communication/missing messages faults in basically every module. So nothing clear.

I hope this helps someone to at least identify the issue. if the module is indeed faulty, due to the programming protection it will require an expensive trip to the dealership to replace and program.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 1:39 PM, amowolves said:

Hi Etch and all.

I've just signed up as this was one of the many (prob 200+) threads I read on the internet regarding similar issues i.e TPMS, ABS, Spoiler, Park Brake, Stop Start errors etc.

I've been having this issue with my A7 for a couple of weeks now. and after spending almost £400 replacing abs wheel sensors, suspect coolant valves and testing with a new battery...it turns out it was actually the central gateway module under the rear seat or the wiring loom leading up to the gateway that's faulty/shorting. 

I saw your post re your kids movement causing the glitches and low and behold when I applied hand pressure to the seat and carpet around the area of the module my dash lit up like a xmas tree. worse my instrument panel and mmi was going crazy too and rebooting whilst driving. Anyway I removed the rear bench and disconnected/reconnected the module and so far I have driven 20 miles with no issue. Prior to this I couldn't drive 10m before the car started pinging like mad.

VCDS scans weren't really helpful either as they showed intermittent loss of communication/missing messages faults in basically every module. So nothing clear.

I hope this helps someone to at least identify the issue. if the module is indeed faulty, due to the programming protection it will require an expensive trip to the dealership to replace and program.

This must be module you speak of not my issue gave it a wiggle with engine running no change .

20230504_191518.thumb.jpg.09de2a44d83f620bc05b5fa3345427f0.jpg

18 hours ago, a6blacked007 said:

This must be module you speak of not my issue gave it a wiggle with engine running no change .

20230504_191518.thumb.jpg.09de2a44d83f620bc05b5fa3345427f0.jpg

depends on your issue? are you getting lots of no communication and missing messages errors in multiple modules? I too simply wiggled the connection the first time to see if it was loose but it didnt help the situation. It was only when I went back to it a few days later and I physically removed the module and gave it a couple of firm taps as well as straighten the wiring loom did my issues stop.

I get tyre pressure / abs / handbrake etc etc all lights up like Xmas tree 

Happened today bumping up curb all faults listed below on carista 

IMG_20230505_161932.thumb.jpg.2f077498e8296336e032cbe9ac414a66.jpg

20230506_160740.thumb.jpg.2e34f80cb28c88fea58f81344dd934f0.jpg

was fault free beforehand. 

All faults have been cleared and have not returned. 

Same faults appear every incident. 

Just update took module out unplugged gave it a shake opened it up 

20230511_144256.thumb.jpg.07a7dd44137d590303366017de0f4dd7.jpg

My nuts were missing that hold module down so replaced them.

Theres 2 clips that keep seat fixed down and up off metal that were in poor condition so were replaced 

20230511_145843.thumb.jpg.a8e2d7b37888dfc89e5f6cf40d7b5593.jpg

Damaged 20230511_145849.thumb.jpg.3e76a35d19ce35abcb4b41c6abf5fe03.jpg

Replacements.

They also stop seat pushing down on module only few quid on eBay too.

• Like 1

hi @a6blacked007so I've had no issues since I last posted....that is until yesterday! I took the car to get cleaned at my local hand wash and i asked them to vacuum the car. I was watching him rest his body weight over the back seat and the centre tunnel and I was thinking to myself if the fault would come back as I've asked my kids to avoid that area for the last couple of weeks.

and low and behold as soon as I drove off from the car wash all the errors returned! argggghhh!

anyway so I took the back seat off and had another look at the central gateway module as well as all the cabling (by the way mine wasn't bolted down either). but this time no matter what I did I could not get it to stop pinging with errors.

an hour later I started applying body pressure to other areas of the car like the centre console and it seemed to replicate the faults but I couldn't narrow the area down specifically to one spot. I was about to start stripping the centre console down thinking it might be a loose connection in the area of the rear ac controls and vents. But....it got me thinking!

Every time I was applying body weight to the central console area the other thing my body is doing is applying the opposing force to the drivers seat! so I started moving around in the seat and the dash started to light up! so I got under the seat and just checked all the various connections, everything seemed to be connected, but as soon as I did this all the errors cleared!! so now I'm thinking it might have been a loose connection under the drivers seat all along! The guy cleaning did move all the seats back and forth, so might have loosened something. There are multiple connections under a black plastic cover under the seat. I removed that and checked all the connectors were firmly in place. I've driven 20miles since and all seems to be well again...touchwood!

So it might be worth you checking the same connections since you mentioned the errors seem to happen every time you ride up a kerb. Hope that helps!

Edited by amowolves
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, amowolves said:

hi @a6blacked007so I've had no issues since I last posted....that is until yesterday! I took the car to get cleaned at my local hand wash and i asked them to vacuum the car. I was watching him rest his body weight over the back seat and the centre tunnel and I was thinking to myself if the fault would come back as I've asked my kids to avoid that area for the last couple of weeks.

and low and behold as soon as I drove off from the car wash all the errors returned! argggghhh!

anyway so I took the back seat off and had another look at the central gateway module as well as all the cabling (by the way mine wasn't bolted down either). but this time not matter what I did I could not get it to stop pinging with errors.

an hour later I started applying body pressure to other areas of the car like the centre console and it seemed to replicate the faults but I couldn't narrow the area down specifically to one spot. I was about to start stripping the centre console down thinking it might be a loose connection in the area of the rear ac controls and vents. But....it got me thinking!

Everytime I was applying body weight to the central console area the other thing my body is doing is applying the opposing force to the drivers seat! so I started moving around in the seat and the dash started to light up! so I got under the seat and just checked all the various connections, everything seemed to be in, but as soon as I did this all the errors cleared!! so now I'm thinking it might have been a loose connection under the drivers seat all along! there are multiple connections under a black plastic cover. I removed that and checked all the connectors were firmly in place. I've done done 20miles since and all seems to be well again...touchwood.

So it might be worth you checking the same connections since you mentioned the errors seem to happen every time you ride up a kerb. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply had no issues since my last post .

Funny you should say that I was fitting a gps antenna to back off mmi unit few weeks ago and all errors came up on dash.

Airbag light refused to go out until was cleared with carista app.

Will give everything a check under seat I think we're on the right track and we should solve this 1 sooner or later ... 

Regards mark

• Like 1

Clear the errors and then move around in your drivers seat and see the errors pop up again. if they do check the connections under your seat. I also had a module attached to the underside of my seat which I checked the cabling to also.

Edited by amowolves

15 minutes ago, amowolves said:

Clear the errors and then move around in your drivers seat and see the errors pop up again. if they do check the connections under your seat. I also had a module attached to the underside of my seat which I checked the cabling to also.

That's my plan for tonight buddy 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone identify this problem? a few weeks ago I had the car service maintenance so I asked the dealership to change all the cars filters. After that, shortly a week later, the car started acting up with all the dashboard lights.
could it be that the fuel filter could be wrong size or something ?

The dealership said that the battery could be low or damaged so I bought a new battery and the car is still acting up.

video attached below

Edited by Joseph Attabrah

9 hours ago, Joseph Attabrah said:

Can anyone identify this problem? a few weeks ago I had the car service maintenance so I asked the dealership to change all the cars filters. After that, shortly a week later, the car started acting up with all the dashboard lights.

The dealership said that the battery could be low or damaged so I bought a new battery and the car is still acting up.

video attached below

IMG_5623.mov 97.62 MB · 0 downloads

Was the battery coded to the car?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, Joseph Attabrah said:

video attached below

IMG_5623.mov 97.62 MB · 3 downloads

Exactly like mine.

Guy on different thread says his wiring between abs pump and sensor was damaged So was replaced. 

Still my fault pops up every so often.

13 hours ago, a6blacked007 said:

Exactly like mine.

Guy on different thread says his wiring between abs pump and sensor was damaged So was replaced. 

Still my fault pops up every so often.

Spoken with @Asad and he replaced 

Scanned with Odis. 

AUDI A6 C7 2012 ACCELERATION YAW RATE SENSOR CONTROL MODULE 4G0907637

Solved his problems 

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I see some of you are managing to take your rear seats out (thanks for the image of the module/unit under the seat, that helps to know what to look for).  A few months back I tried to get my seat out but could not do it.  Have had a spine surgery since then so only just getting around to trying again.  Today I made another attempt after reading manuals and watching you tube vids, still can't; do it.  I can tug up on the seats and hear the latch unclipping but that's it, the seat is just locked in place, can't pull it up any further, can't slide it out.

Any tips on how to get this seat out would definitely assist.

6 hours ago, Etch said:

Dear all,

I see some of you are managing to take your rear seats out (thanks for the image of the module/unit under the seat, that helps to know what to look for).  A few months back I tried to get my seat out but could not do it.  Have had a spine surgery since then so only just getting around to trying again.  Today I made another attempt after reading manuals and watching you tube vids, still can't; do it.  I can tug up on the seats and hear the latch unclipping but that's it, the seat is just locked in place, can't pull it up any further, can't slide it out.

Any tips on how to get this seat out would definitely assist.

Take out isofix plastics at rear push down and out then pull up front of seat clips with probably break few quid on eBay replaced mine.

• Thanks 1