What is peoples experience of the A3 hybrid

mawaudi444

I currently drive an A3 2.0 Tdi. I love the torque you get from it

But I am thinking with fuel prices about the hybrid. I notice the petrol engine in the hybrid is only a 1400 cc engine so I was wondering what the performance is like if its working on petrol only, given my daily commute can sometime be 150 miles and motorway driving.(though I do approx 18,000 miles overall in a year as some days my commute can be 40 miles depending on where I am based

I'd be interested in people's experience

And what about handling given the additional weight of batteries

Hello Mark,

Apologies that this isn’t going to equip you with experiences of the 2.0 litre diesel vs 1.4 petrol hybrid, but some back to basics economics might hopefully shed some light on what you are about to consider. 
As I see it you are considering parting company with your year old diesel due to the economics of the extra cost of diesel fuel, and adding some (considerable?) funds to buy another car. The economics should be simple:-

Obtain a ‘cost to change’ ,calculate the amount of saving you are going to make/annum by running a hybrid, and work out how many years you are going to have to run the new car just to become cost neutral. 
Of course, you may also be influenced by the environmental advantages, or indeed just fancy a change, and you can’t knock either if the funds are there to support it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my second hybrid (both been company cars), current one is around 1 month old and I do really like it. That said, if you're looking at this as an economy saving, if you're driving sensibly you will get in the area of 400 miles from a filled petrol tank. Sadly I don't have the ability to charge the battery right now, but when the car has had charge you are likely to get around 30-40 miles of pure electric driving.

The self-charging system absolutely drinks the tank and can't recommend it, but I don't have enough experience to tell you if when fully charged, it impacts the petrol mileage.

To drive? It's really fun, the older model of hybrid that I had which was a 19 plate from memory handled quite poorly. This one on the other hand is much nicer but I'm not sure if that's down to it having a more sportier profile.

Let me know if you want anymore info on it, happy to help.

Edited by Rusko187
  • Like 1