RESOLVED 馃憤 Dual-mass flywheel?

gsmdo
聽Share

Hi there,

I've had my 2006 2.0TDi 140 convertible for a few years and have noticed that it judders slightly on power uptake when moving off. The clutch 'bite' is nearly at the bottom of its travel, which I am guessing means the clutch is quite worn. The car has done just over 100k and has a thorough service history.

Could the juddering be the dreaded dual-mass flywheel problem that I've heard about but, thus far, have not experienced? If so, what is the solution - replacing with a new dual-mass flywheel, or is there an alternative? If it needs doing I will obviously replace the entire clutch whilst it's apart.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike 馃檪

51 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

Hi there,

I've had my 2006 2.0TDi 140 convertible for a few years and have noticed that it judders slightly on power uptake when moving off. The clutch 'bite' is nearly at the bottom of its travel, which I am guessing means the clutch is quite worn. The car has done just over 100k and has a thorough service history.

Could the juddering be the dreaded dual-mass flywheel problem that I've heard about but, thus far, have not experienced? If so, what is the solution - replacing with a new dual-mass flywheel, or is there an alternative? If it needs doing I will obviously replace the entire clutch whilst it's apart.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike 馃檪

Hi sorry mate its a full clutch four piece DMF, Driven plate, and slave cylinder best given attention soon as when the DMF starts really juddering eventually it locks over and you can't get at the bolts to release the DMF from the crank so you have to go at it with a diamond disc cutter to get it off, good news is your clutch kit will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the later models and don't be tempted by the solid flywheel conversion as that puts excess strain on the crank damper at the front end and ruins them in record time, worse case scenario the new solid flywheel is capable of breaking your crank through Harmonic Resonance at about 2800rpm thats why old diesels were limited to 2500rpm to stop this happening, with the advent of DMF and a rubber mounted crank pulley they are able to rev higher giving the manufacturers a wider rev range to tune the torque curve.

Steve.

• Like 3

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Steve.

I鈥檝e been looking online - this car is a keeper, so I want to buy a kit that lasts 聽- any recommendations on manufacturer?聽
Any thoughts on how many hours this would take a competent tech?

Thanks,

Mike

14 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Steve.

I鈥檝e been looking online - this car is a keeper, so I want to buy a kit that lasts 聽- any recommendations on manufacturer?聽
Any thoughts on how many hours this would take a competent tech?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi either LUK or Sachs, LUK own Sachs but for some reason known only to them Sachs are a a bit cheaper its the same stuff in the kit but with a different name stamped on it, maybe its like a loss leader in Tesco, with regard to the hours any savvy garage should do it in about five hours, my guy was having kittens because Autodata had given an estimated eight hours because they said you have to drop the subframe and engine in the event we both watched the youtube video which did not involve removing the front subframe and we had it in and out in four with the aid of two gearbox cradles, have a look on youtube and it will give you an idea of whats involved.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi sorry mate its a full clutch four piece DMF, Driven plate, and slave cylinder best given attention soon as when the DMF starts really juddering eventually it locks over and you can't get at the bolts to release the DMF from the crank so you have to go at it with a diamond disc cutter to get it off, good news is your clutch kit will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the later models and don't be tempted by the solid flywheel conversion as that puts excess strain on the crank damper at the front end and ruins them in record time, worse case scenario the new solid flywheel is capable of breaking your crank through Harmonic Resonance at about 2800rpm thats why old diesels were limited to 2500rpm to stop this happening, with the advent of DMF and a rubber mounted crank pulley they are able to rev higher giving the manufacturers a wider rev range to tune the torque curve.

Steve.

That's a bang on response if I ever saw one.聽

• Like 1

So, Norwich Audi are getting the car next Tuesday and I've said I'd leave it with them for a couple of days, in case they run into any snags馃馃槅.

The work they've agreed to do: Replace the complete clutch, dual-mass flywheel, slave cylinder, plus the clutch arm (not expensive and 'whilst you're in there ' etc). They will also be replacing the front brake pipes (which I asked about in another thread), as access to them will be much easier with the car apart.

They will supply: Clutch arm and pivot; fasteners as required (if not supplied with the kit) and the front brake pipes.

I have ordered (and cross checked part numbers with the supplier馃憤 ) Sachs dual-mass flywheel and complete clutch kit; Sachs slave cylinder; I already have braided hoses for the front brakes.

Now, I am a long time customer of Norwich Audi (over 30 years馃槺) and am good mates with a couple of the chaps there, so they always try to give me the best deal they can, although they've outdone themselves here 馃槂.

They've quoted me four hours labour plus the parts they supply...馃槼

My parts cost:

Image 1 - Dual Mass Flywheel DMF Kit with Clutch 600022800 LuK 012141165A 012141165B New

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334388783307?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 拢409 inc delivery

Image 1 - Clutch Slave Cylinder fits AUDI A4 B6 B7 2.0 2.0D 00 to 09 LuK 8E0721257H New

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234452219546?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

拢77 inc delivery

The brake pipes are around 拢120 and the ancilliary clutch parts around 拢50.

So, next week will be an expensive one, but - as I said earlier - this car is a keeper and it'll allow me to relax about what could be a major pain in the parts breakdown if I'd not decided to tackle it sooner.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Stevey - much appreciated.

I'll post an 'after-action' report when the job's done...

Mike 馃檪

Edited by gsmdo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

So, Norwich Audi are getting the car next Tuesday and I've said I'd leave it with them for a couple of days, in case they run into any snags馃馃槅.

The work they've agreed to do: Replace the complete clutch, dual-mass flywheel, slave cylinder, plus the clutch arm (not expensive and 'whilst you're in there ' etc). They will also be replacing the front brake pipes (which I asked about in another thread), as access to them will be much easier with the car apart.

They will supply: Clutch arm and pivot; fasteners as required (if not supplied with the kit) and the front brake pipes.

I have ordered (and cross checked part numbers with the supplier馃憤 ) Sachs dual-mass flywheel and complete clutch kit; Sachs slave cylinder; I already have braided hoses for the front brakes.

Now, I am a long time customer of Norwich Audi (over 30 years馃槺) and am good mates with a couple of the chaps there, so they always try to give me the best deal they can, although they've outdone themselves here 馃槂.

They've quoted me four hours labour plus the parts they supply...馃槼

My parts cost:

Image 1 - Dual Mass Flywheel DMF Kit with Clutch 600022800 LuK 012141165A 012141165B New

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334388783307?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 拢409 inc delivery

Image 1 - Clutch Slave Cylinder fits AUDI A4 B6 B7 2.0 2.0D 00 to 09 LuK 8E0721257H New

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234452219546?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

拢77 inc delivery

The brake pipes are around 拢120 and the ancilliary clutch parts around 拢50.

So, next week will be an expensive one, but - as I said earlier - this car is a keeper and it'll allow me to relax about what could be a major pain in the parts breakdown if I'd not decided to tackle it sooner.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Stevey - much appreciated.

I'll post an 'after-action' report when the job's done...

Mike 馃檪

Hi well done, do it once, do it right, will be interested in the outcome.

Steve.

• Like 1

I dropped the convertible into Norwich Audi late yesterday (when I could get a lift back), and told them I was happy for them to have it for a couple of days if needed.

My buddy Kev has just sent me the following pics, and tells me the jobs are going well...馃馃槂

Three.jpg

Two.jpg

One.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

I dropped the convertible into Norwich Audi late yesterday (when I could get a lift back), and told them I was happy for them to have it for a couple of days if needed.

My buddy Kev has just sent me the following pics, and tells me the jobs are going well...馃馃槂

Three.jpg

Two.jpg

One.jpg

That's great to hear 馃槉 always nice when no other problems arise.聽

Just got back with the old girl - what a transformation! Power take-up is now as smooth as silk (or - if it isn't - it's my fault 馃槅).

I'm pretty sure they had the same poor tech working on the car for three days straight. I'm taking the techs a box of doughnuts in tomorrow to say thanks (and maybe a bottle of something for Kev, as they stood by their quote).

The front brake pipes have been replaced with cupro-nickel, which can be cut and reflared if necessary; HEL braided hoses fitted to the front (the rears were done a while ago).

An expensive job all told - just under 拢1300 including everything聽馃槺 - but I don't think I could have got it done any cheaper (or better). It's clearly not worth聽 doing if I wasn't planning on keeping the car, but I am.

Thanks very much for all the great advice - especially Stevey Y for your excellent breakdown of the issues 馃槂

Mike

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Since the sun was shining this morning, it seemed like an opportunity to have a short run to get a spot of breakfast...

spacer.png

So I picked my mate Adrian up and headed over to The Goat Shed, which is a cafe added onto the side of a very high-end farm shop. The green welly count was high... 馃槅

spacer.png

The food was pretty expensive (you could have eaten for literally half the price at Wetherspoon's (馃槃), but of excellent quality. We both had the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) breakfast...

spacer.png

...which came with sourdough toast, which was excellent.

If you happen to be in mid-Norfolk and want breakfast (or just look at goats - I'm not judging you), then give the Goat Shed a look.

spacer.png

The car drove brilliantly. I had only previously noticed the juddering from the flywheel when pulling away from stationary, but it was clearly there throughout the drive - as the car feels as smooth as silk now...

Mike 馃槑

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

Since the sun was shining this morning, it seemed like an opportunity to have a short run to get a spot of breakfast...

spacer.png

So I picked my mate Adrian up and headed over to The Goat Shed, which is a cafe added onto the side of a very high-end farm shop. The green welly count was high... 馃槅

spacer.png

The food was pretty expensive (you could have eaten for literally half the price at Wetherspoon's (馃槃), but of excellent quality. We both had the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time) breakfast...

spacer.png

...which came with sourdough toast, which was excellent.

If you happen to be in mid-Norfolk and want breakfast (or just look at goats - I'm not judging you), then give the Goat Shed a look.

spacer.png

The car drove brilliantly. I had only previously noticed the juddering from the flywheel when pulling away from stationary, but it was clearly there throughout the drive - as the car feels as smooth as silk now...

Mike 馃槑

spacer.png

Hi car looks great and by the sound of it running great, well done.

Steve.

• Thanks 1