A6 Avant, Bi turbo, 2016, how long should the brake rotors last?

mrhaynes

A6 Avant, Bi turbo, 2016, how long should the brake rotors last?

Bought this gem with sub 20k.

Then the brakes started to judder at approx 65mph, light braking.

This is the main dealer works record:

February 2020 – 24982 miles -          Replaced front brake discs and pads (due to judder when braking – front discs outside of run-out tolerance) From buying the car, C. 5K miles before the judder.

September 2021 – 39033 miles-          Replaced front brake discs and pads (due to judder when braking – front discs outside of run-out tolerance) New set needed after 14k miles due to judder.

January 2022 – 42259 miles-          Replaced * rear * brake discs and pads (due to judder when braking – rear discs outside of run-out tolerance) Not really so old!

May 2022 – 44381 miles-          Replaced front brake discs and pads (due to judder when braking – front discs outside of run-out tolerance) New set after 4.5K miles due to judder.

That averages under 8k miles before front rotors warp.

Driving is usually unladen, one adult (max 2.5). 50% motorway, 45% urban, 5% town.

I'm 65, my heavy right foot days are long gone!

Is this unusual wear?

Main dealer, JCT600 are squirming and have done everything 'under warranty' telling me the rotors warranty is 6 months or 6500 miles.

I strongly suspect there is some inherent, underlying issue with this car.

Thoughts?  Advice?

Very many thanks in advance.

Mark

I'd suggest that's very unusual wear Mark. Any idea how worn the pads are that they are replacing? I see you're using a main dealer, so they'll be using OEM parts. Sorry, but I'm not sure what could cause a recurrence of this type.

I had a similar situation years ago with my BMW motorcycle, and that ended up being a warped disc carrier (ie the hub) - they replaced the wheel and it cured it. There's nothing that's similar on a car, AFAIK... 🤔

1 hour ago, gsmdo said:

I'd suggest that's very unusual wear Mark. Any idea how worn the pads are that they are replacing? I see you're using a main dealer, so they'll be using OEM parts. Sorry, but I'm not sure what could cause a recurrence of this type.

I had a similar situation years ago with my BMW motorcycle, and that ended up being a warped disc carrier (ie the hub) - they replaced the wheel and it cured it. There's nothing that's similar on a car, AFAIK... 🤔

The pads get binned when they change the rotors apparently so, best I can say is that during one period, the pads were ok at C 14-15K miles and I would expect 20k+ given the journey profiles I.E. 50 motorway.

They say they've checked the run out on the hubs, balanced the wheels . . . blah blah but, I have no way of checking.

Some USA owners are suggesting incorrect wheel nut torque setting or not following a tightening sequence but, if this was the case I'm sure there would be others having a similar problem.

I've checked the history as far as poss and it's never be trashed or had any major repairs contributing to alignment issues.

The main dealer, JCT600, is just telling me it's bad luck!

Truly stumped.

1 hour ago, mrhaynes said:

The pads get binned when they change the rotors apparently so, best I can say is that during one period, the pads were ok at C 14-15K miles and I would expect 20k+ given the journey profiles I.E. 50 motorway.

They say they've checked the run out on the hubs, balanced the wheels . . . blah blah but, I have no way of checking.

Some USA owners are suggesting incorrect wheel nut torque setting or not following a tightening sequence but, if this was the case I'm sure there would be others having a similar problem.

I've checked the history as far as poss and it's never be trashed or had any major repairs contributing to alignment issues.

The main dealer, JCT600, is just telling me it's bad luck!

Truly stumped.

Hi just completed 70,000 on my Avant 2.0 tdi front discs/pads and before we go off the deep end about its not the same basically it is, your model runs a bigger disc and pads but every other spec centering etc is the same, my car is used as a taxi therefore the brakes are always being used,  from what I have learned over the last eighteen years of talking to manufacturer engineers and experience here goes, do not sit at traffic lights etc. with your foot on the brakes as this causes localised hot spots between the brake pad and disc as the brake pads dual function is to act as a heat sink drawing heat from the disc and dissipating it so if its clamped in the pressure position to the disc it transfers heat back to the metal which causes deformation of the disc, regular brake fluid changes are essential as the fluid is Hydroscopic and absorbes moisture which will accumulate in the calliper piston chambers and In sufficient quantity will cause pad drag as water can't be compressed, this brings me to the next point braking systems are like owning a racing Greyhound if you don't take it for a run every so often it will become fat and slow, its the same with brakes the occasional hammering forces any moisture around the system and dissipates it from localised areas.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi just completed 70,000 on my Avant 2.0 tdi front discs/pads and before we go off the deep end about its not the same basically it is, your model runs a bigger disc and pads but every other spec centering etc is the same, my car is used as a taxi therefore the brakes are always being used,  from what I have learned over the last eighteen years of talking to manufacturer engineers and experience here goes, do not sit at traffic lights etc. with your foot on the brakes as this causes localised hot spots between the brake pad and disc as the brake pads dual function is to act as a heat sink drawing heat from the disc and dissipating it so if its clamped in the pressure position to the disc it transfers heat back to the metal which causes deformation of the disc, regular brake fluid changes are essential as the fluid is Hydroscopic and absorbes moisture which will accumulate in the calliper piston chambers and In sufficient quantity will cause pad drag as water can't be compressed, this brings me to the next point braking systems are like owning a racing Greyhound if you don't take it for a run every so often it will become fat and slow, its the same with brakes the occasional hammering forces any moisture around the system and dissipates it from localised areas.

Steve.

The 'keeping your foot on the pedal when stopped' was the route BMW went down with my bike when they were trying to chase down the problem - and reading up on it, it's a genuine cause of disc warping. In the case of my bike it was different, but it sounds like a possible cause in your case...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Steve.

Shame the main dealers don't get with these forums!!

• Like 1

Hello Mark,

If this were mine, I would be wanting to spend time to thoroughly de-rust and clean, the hub to disc contact face before fitting new discs. Would main dealers spend the necessary amount of time to do a proper jog of that? Probably not at their labour charges. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:50 AM, mrhaynes said:

Shame the main dealers don't get with these forums!!

Hi the main dealers don't want anyone to know these things as it would rob them of future problems/profit, the engineers on the other hand would rather the stuff they developed works its also known as pride in your work and you would be amazed what information is available just from asking when they are full of beer and going home.

Steve.