2020 Q5 PHEV - oil service (oil quality monitor)

JMKC82

Hi All,

My engine 2.0 TFSI has supposedly got an oil quality monitor which adjusts the oil change mileage and time depending on the oil quality.

Does anyone know if this is actually a gimmick?

The reason i ask is because my car is a PHEV, and currently i used about 60/40 petrol and electric.  But my oil change mileage has not changed, so even though i'm doing 6,000 on petrol, i still have to change the oil after 10,000 miles overall car running.

I used to have an 2017 A4 2.0 tdi (loved it), and it also supposedly had an oil quality monitor, but still i had an oil change according to the car around 20k without the mileage changing.  Maybe it changed by 100 miles or so without me noticing??

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Joe, 

Usually the servicing schedule will say which ever comes first. So it could be 2 years or X miles. I personally have always had an oil change done yearly for peace of mind. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JMKC82 said:

Hi All,

My engine 2.0 TFSI has supposedly got an oil quality monitor which adjusts the oil change mileage and time depending on the oil quality.

Does anyone know if this is actually a gimmick?

The reason i ask is because my car is a PHEV, and currently i used about 60/40 petrol and electric.  But my oil change mileage has not changed, so even though i'm doing 6,000 on petrol, i still have to change the oil after 10,000 miles overall car running.

I used to have an 2017 A4 2.0 tdi (loved it), and it also supposedly had an oil quality monitor, but still i had an oil change according to the car around 20k without the mileage changing.  Maybe it changed by 100 miles or so without me noticing??

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi yes it is not a gimmick but a electronic gizmo on the oil level sensor which measures the viscosity of the oil and the amount of carbon particles suspended in it, when it got to high on my last two Fords you would get an oil pollution code and EML this system just reduces the service time/milage, your driving must be pretty conservative as the only way to get it to start eroding your service interval is by clogging it down the road, mind you it will change when the engine gets older but only slightly.

Steve.