Considering buying Audi A6 advice please

pfs1987

I am considering buying a second hand Audi A6 and am seeing many nice looking examples around 2006-2010 between £2 and £3k. 

Now i'm mainly home based with work so my mileage is pretty minimal, but would like something reliable and relatively economical nonetheless.

Am i asking for trouble looking at this price range of cars? I'm seeing lots with full service history, 100k+ miles and a little bit of wear and tear as you would expect.

Having researched a bit it seems a recent cambelt change would be a plus. It also seems a CVT gearbox is to be avoided too? 

2.0 TDI S Line seems to fit the bill, anyone experiences of these? 

Thanks and appreciate any advice...

MILES ARE OK    BUT  BUY  ONE  WITH 6 SPEED MANUAL BOX    NO AUTOS  AS  HAD NOWT BUT GREEF WITH  CVT BOXES

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pfs1987 said:

so the cambelt and cvt seem to be the main expenses?

They definitely are. If the car has quattro see when the system was last serviced and make sure tyres are even wear as uneven tyre wear can damage the quattro system. 

It it has xenon headlights then make sure they work properly as bulbs are roughly £150 and the ballast boxes arent cheap either. Also make sure the LEDs work in the rear lights as these can be costly to replace. 

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

They definitely are. If the car has quattro see when the system was last serviced and make sure tyres are even wear as uneven tyre wear can damage the quattro system. 

It it has xenon headlights then make sure they work properly as bulbs are roughly £150 and the ballast boxes arent cheap either. Also make sure the LEDs work in the rear lights as these can be costly to replace. 

AD PUT CANDELS IN  THAT PRICE

1 hour ago, pfs1987 said:

so the cambelt and cvt seem to be the main expenses?

Hi Cambelt is a must, the HID bulbs and ballasts are no major money as the bulbs are D3S which are old hat and you can get a pair of Lumex upgrades for about £70 and the ballasts for about £30 each as they are the same ones used in Skoda,VW, and some Fords, if you buy one make sure its manual as they are bullet proof as long as the gear oil is changed, brakes are relatively cheap as they used the same brake/disc combo on most other models its called globalisation but depending what model you have the price according to the dealer will go up so buy O.E. spec, Febi,Borg Warner, Bosch, Blueprint.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Cambelt is a must, the HID bulbs and ballasts are no major money as the bulbs are D3S which are old hat and you can get a pair of Lumex upgrades for about £70 and the ballasts for about £30 each as they are the same ones used in Skoda,VW, and some Fords, if you buy one make sure its manual as they are bullet proof as long as the gear oil is changed, brakes are relatively cheap as they used the same brake/disc combo on most other models its called globalisation but depending what model you have the price according to the dealer will go up so buy O.E. spec, Febi,Borg Warner, Bosch, Blueprint.

Steve.

I hadn't realised the bulbs have come down in price.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I hadn't realised the bulbs have come down in price.  

Hi being as D5S 25w are fitted to most of the new vehicles that are not LED spec the D1S D2S D3S are becoming redundant stock so best they get rid quick, the other thing is D5S bulbs have the ballast built into the bulb, cheaper to produce.

Steve.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pfs1987 said:

great, glad i asked here. I hadn't realised the cvt was so bad

When looking at one with a CVT, see if the car has a towbar. The CVT doesn't take too kindly for a lot of towing. 

• Like 1