Flashing PRNDS!!!

Hi guy's. Just replaced the steering column on my 2009 8p quattro due to play in the shaft. I disconnected the battery whilst doing this. Put it all back together (job went realy well tbf) no more play in the steering but went for a drive and noticed the PRNDS lights flashing when in gear. Drives perfectly as before no issues selecting gears. After a quick browse I've read all the mechatronic horror stories, surely it aint that. It is due a dsg fluid change soon but surely something just wants reseting? I have a non vcds scan tool which shows no faults. Any help would be most appreciated guys. All the best. 

32 minutes ago, Craig2.0tquattro said:

Hi guy's. Just replaced the steering column on my 2009 8p quattro due to play in the shaft. I disconnected the battery whilst doing this. Put it all back together (job went realy well tbf) no more play in the steering but went for a drive and noticed the PRNDS lights flashing when in gear. Drives perfectly as before no issues selecting gears. After a quick browse I've read all the mechatronic horror stories, surely it aint that. It is due a dsg fluid change soon but surely something just wants reseting? I have a non vcds scan tool which shows no faults. Any help would be most appreciated guys. All the best. 

The steering rack needs to be coded to the car. Have you had the right one fitted? I believe your rack should be a gen 3 due to the cars age. I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see what fault codes flag up. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

The steering rack needs to be coded to the car. Have you had the right one fitted? I believe your rack should be a gen 3 due to the cars age. I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see what fault codes flag up. 

YIP  CODED 

47 minutes ago, Craig2.0tquattro said:

That's correct cliff just the column changed not the whole rack. Strange one, car drives perfectly. 

Sorry my bad, I misread it. I do t think the column needs coding. I'd still advise a diagnostic check. 

As you disconnected the battery is it worth seeing if the battery is failing due to age. Failing batteries can often throw up unusual faults. 

No worries Steve cheers for the reply mate. Tbh the battery is a little weak, bought this car to replace my octavia vrs tdi, realy glad I've kept it for now lol. Was going to pinch the HD battery off that anyway. Just seems strange this has happened after disconnecting the battery of which I usually do when doing maintenance. 

Craig if you know the battery to be weak then the first thing to do is fit a new one, not a clapped out old one from your other car. Duff batteries are known to cause a variety of apparently unrelated electrical and electronic problems, so a new battery alone may solve the problem with the gear indicator lights. It is likely that new battery will need to be coded to the car.

4 hours ago, Craig2.0tquattro said:

No worries Steve cheers for the reply mate. Tbh the battery is a little weak, bought this car to replace my octavia vrs tdi, realy glad I've kept it for now lol. Was going to pinch the HD battery off that anyway. Just seems strange this has happened after disconnecting the battery of which I usually do when doing maintenance. 

No probs at all. You'd be amazed at what electrical gremlins dying batteries can cause. I'd definitely look at getting it changed asap.