Jumping rev needle whilst driving

Wizza

I’ve bought an Audi A4 b8 (2010) with 92k miles and today I took it for a drive up the motorway. I noticed that whilst driving the rev needle is bouncing and the car feels ‘odd’. It still accelerates well but it feels a bit jerky occasionally. 

Then when coming to a stop it’s quite a jerky slowing down and acceleration from stop. 

The idle has always been a bit lumpy but today in todays heat (no AC on) it was a bit more of an uncomfortable drive due to the jerky start and stop and what feels like jerky gear changes. 

I’ve already changed the ignition coils, spark plugs, air filters etc. I’ve ordered a MAF sensor which will hopefully be here in a couple of days. 

any ideas on what could be causing this. 

You've done quite a good amount of work so far. I'd have said MAF sensor so it's good that's coming. I'd recommend a diagnostic check once the MAF is fitted. Could it be a lambda sensor I wonder? 

Stupid question but looking at Lambda sensors, are there two? Looking at parts there is a ‘before’ and ‘after’ catalytic. 

Looking at symptoms it does sound exactly like the lambda sensor however Lambda and MAF have similar symptoms so will fit the MAF and give it a go. 

Hello Mark,

Manual or automatic? 
I think you would be wise in investing in a proper diagnostics at an Audi independent, since you do seem to be throwing parts at this ( at guesswork?) in the hope of curing it. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’m booked in for a cambelt and full service but if I can save a bit of money and do this myself then I’m going to try lol

thanks for the advice though. 

4 hours ago, Wizza said:

Stupid question but looking at Lambda sensors, are there two? Looking at parts there is a ‘before’ and ‘after’ catalytic. 

Looking at symptoms it does sound exactly like the lambda sensor however Lambda and MAF have similar symptoms so will fit the MAF and give it a go. 

I believe.theres two. I do agree with Gareth that a diagnostic check is a good idea.