Le Mans Buyer Advice

MrSF

Hi everyone, new member here looking for some advice in the vein of most potential buyers! I've also posted on some other Audi sites as I didn't know which one was best. 😂

I'm interested in buying a facelift A6 S-Line Special Edition Le Mans. 

If I do get one I've decided on the 2.0L diesel manual saloon and preferably in the dark blue that was available at the time. I don't know the official colour, but there seems to be two similar ones. One looks like a deep navy blue and the other looks like a dark bluey/grey, unless it's the light in the photographs and it's actually the same colour?

My eye has fallen on this one: https://www.gscarsleicester.co.uk/used-cars/audi-a6-saloon-2-0-tdi-le-mans-4dr-leicester-202204074410166

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I'm two and a half hours drive away from this one so I don't want to be wasting my time!

Also, how firm is the ride on the 19 inch alloys? The main reason for wanting to change my current car is the harsh ride.

Any info greatly recieved because I've never had an Audi before!

Thanks, Matthew.

Edited by MrSF

Hello Mathew,

Thanks for being in touch.

Obviously I don’t know anything about this car other than what is available via. on-line searches, which I guess you have already done, and apologies for repeating, if so. 

Last owner appears to have owned it for a short time ( not a good sign) judging by the last V5 issued at 3/7/21 and the car hasn’t been taxed since March.

I guess you’ve checked the MOT history and found the car failed the last test due to the EML being on, yet later passed. Also the car has an MOT gap from being tested April 2018 and not tested again for over two and a half years, during which time it had covered some 33k miles. An earlier MOT refers to tyres near the limit which is never a good sign of caring maintenance. 

The advert doesn’t mention anything about service history - have you enquired and seen sight of what they have of this? 
Belted engine? If so evidence of when it was last renewed? 

Seller’s reviews are mixed, but you need to draw your own conclusions re. your aim (I guess) of  buying a nice car  from nice people. 

If I was in your situation, I would be attempting to get someone local to view the car for you, and if that proves favourable, then investing in a professional inspection before progressing. 
When buying a car at a distance you run a higher risk of kissing goodbye to the practicalities of any warranty. 
Trusting some of this may be of help Mathew, and good luck with whatever you decide to do - but don’t depend on luck. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

i have the 2.7 Le Mans saloon, it's a lovely car to drive, problems i have had on mine (not many)  parking sensors don't work, and alloy wheels need a refurb, i would really recomend a full check on the vehicle, i use car verticle as recomended by salvage rebuilds on youtube, they do a discount code gets you money off your checks.

SR10 for 10% discount on your Car Vertical Check. Get 10% off car vertical with this link https://bit.ly/SalvageRebuilds

Hello Tony,

The vehicle check you recommend - is this a ‘history’ check, or an actual full professional inspection of the vehicle? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi chaps, thank you for your replies. I hadn't considered some of those things myself (not clever enough) but I know that particular car has been for sale quite a while now as I've been keeping an eye on it. I was coming to the conclusion that "there'll always be another". 🤣

Hello Mathew, 

‘….always be another one…’ - I guess so.
I would recommend you alway start by searching the free on-line MOT history checking, and the DVLA vehicle check before getting excited about any example. Also check the vehicle’s service history, which might mean contacting your local Audi dealer with details of the Reg. no. and/or the VIN. 
If you are then impressed enough to consider buying it, then I would certainly ‘invest’ in a professional inspection ( unless you feel you are completely confident in carrying that out) before putting a pen to any piece of paper, or getting a bank card out.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tony,

The vehicle check you recommend - is this a ‘history’ check, or an actual full professional inspection of the vehicle? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It is an all singing all dancing check, if you watch the video I am about to put up it will show you everything.

https://youtu.be/eSBznf9fgWg

3 hours ago, MrSF said:

Hi everyone, new member here looking for some advice in the vein of most potential buyers! I've also posted on some other Audi sites as I didn't know which one was best. 😂

I'm interested in buying a facelift A6 S-Line Special Edition Le Mans. 

If I do get one I've decided on the 2.0L diesel manual saloon and preferably in the dark blue that was available at the time. I don't know the official colour, but there seems to be two similar ones. One looks like a deep navy blue and the other looks like a dark bluey/grey, unless it's the light in the photographs and it's actually the same colour?

My eye has fallen on this one: https://www.gscarsleicester.co.uk/used-cars/audi-a6-saloon-2-0-tdi-le-mans-4dr-leicester-202204074410166

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I'm two and a half hours drive away from this one so I don't want to be wasting my time!

Also, how firm is the ride on the 19 inch alloys? The main reason for wanting to change my current car is the harsh ride.

Any info greatly recieved because I've never had an Audi before!

Thanks, Matthew.

Ask if the belt has been changed, the trans fluid should be changed every 38k. 

I change the  engine oil every 3k because I only do short journeys.

Hello Tony,

Thanks,  but is this a self assessment check, or a physical check carried out by an independent body? 
Any connection?

Kind regards,

Gareth.