A6 Avant 2.8fsi C7 - grumbling sound from front wheels

yay 6

Greetings from New Zealand!

I imported this used car from Japan with 116,000 km on the clock. All used cars have to go thru a "compliance check" when they arrive. The workshop replaced the front and rear brake pads, "front bush", "front straight bush" and all 4 tyres.

When drving out of the workshop, I noticed a grumbling/grinding sound from the front wheels while turning in either direction at low speed. I initially assumed it was surface rust on the rotors, and drove on home. However, this sound continues, only while moving off from a standstill and turning either left or right. It does not occur above about 20kmh.

The workshop (indie) says this is typical of Audi vehicles, but I find that hard to believe. To check this out, I test drove a C7 at a car yard, and experienced the same sound, while at another dealer there was no sound whatsoever!

Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yay!, ...or Denzil,

And greetings from the opposite side of the Planet - the UK.

I was also concerned at this 3 months ago when I 'adopted' my first Audi, also an A6... But it is indeed common amongst all Quattro, or all wheel drive, Audis as far as I know... So the first car you tried may have been a Quattro like yours, the second maybe just Front Wheel Drive...?

The issue, as I understand it, is that you have all four wheels trying to drive the car forward, whilst the fronts are trying to turn the car - the noise you're hearing is a tiny bit of 'tyre scrub' where the rear wheels are pushing forwards and causing one of the front wheels to slide just a little at most extreme left or right lock - turning as far as you can, basically. I think most likely the 'inside' front tyre in the turn is just being dragged slightly as it turns at more of an angle than the outer front wheel - that's what it sounds like on mine...

I'm sure an expert will explain this far better than me, and even give the technical details as well... But from my experience, having checked the alignment of all 4 wheels and consulted a Senior Audi Technician, with brand new matched tyres on all 4 corners - what you describe would appear to be 'normal' and expected behaviour. And after 3 months there is no discernible 'extra wear' or scrubbing noticable on the fronts compared to the rears.

Hope that helps...

Best Regards,

Tigger

Edited by Tigger
Missed the greeting...
  • Like 1