Head light range control switch

Sarahlouise1990

Hi does anyone know if my audi a1 is meant to have a headlight range control button on the dash. I have a 2011 s line tdi. Ive noticed that it's blank where as my other audi's I've previously owner has always had them. 

I'm not sure if previous owner has messed with things and just put a blank one back in or not. As it brings up on diagnostic machine the headlight range module isn't working.. I have purchased the module, because I have no idea where to start on the list of issues that's wrong with this car 😅😐  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also if anyone knows of where I can get my windscreen seal replaced let me know

Thanks

See photo 

20220531_134935.jpg

Windscreen seal needs to have the windscreen removed. Clearly the windscreen has been replaced. I'd work through the issues one by one. If you've got the module then chance it. But you could change the switch too. 

6 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Windscreen seal needs to have the windscreen removed. Clearly the windscreen has been replaced. I'd work through the issues one by one. If you've got the module then chance it. But you could change the switch too. 

Yeah i know it does, thats why i wanted to know if anywhere that does it or recommendations to take the screen out and replace the seal,there's water coming in and I think its running down into the electrics, hence why I wanted to get the seal sorted on the screen before I start replacing modules etc.. but I'll put the module in that I have and see if that changes anything first. I'm new to all of this and just trying to get one major thing sorted that I know is causing issues 🙃 I'm not a mechanic and just trying to find someone who possibly knows what the issues are or how to fix them. Just when I thought when I bought the car it would possibly be something simple has turned into what might be a nightmare 😮💨

The photo is after it rained and there was a few patches across bottom of screen also headliner behind sun visor was wet 

20220607_063641.jpg

On 6/8/2022 at 5:52 AM, Sarahlouise1990 said:

Yeah i know it does, thats why i wanted to know if anywhere that does it or recommendations to take the screen out and replace the seal,there's water coming in and I think its running down into the electrics, hence why I wanted to get the seal sorted on the screen before I start replacing modules etc.. but I'll put the module in that I have and see if that changes anything first. I'm new to all of this and just trying to get one major thing sorted that I know is causing issues 🙃 I'm not a mechanic and just trying to find someone who possibly knows what the issues are or how to fix them. Just when I thought when I bought the car it would possibly be something simple has turned into what might be a nightmare 😮💨

The photo is after it rained and there was a few patches across bottom of screen also headliner behind sun visor was wet 

20220607_063641.jpg

I feel your pain as older A6 models like mine suffer from water ingress via multiple points. I've fixed 2 common issues but now chasing a 3rd one 🤦‍♂️as I say the windscreen needs to come out to fix the seal. 

On 6/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, Sarahlouise1990 said:

Hi does anyone know if my audi a1 is meant to have a headlight range control button on the dash. I have a 2011 s line tdi. Ive noticed that it's blank where as my other audi's I've previously owner has always had them. 

I'm not sure if previous owner has messed with things and just put a blank one back in or not. As it brings up on diagnostic machine the headlight range module isn't working.. I have purchased the module, because I have no idea where to start on the list of issues that's wrong with this car 😅😐  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also if anyone knows of where I can get my windscreen seal replaced let me know

Thanks

See photo 

20220531_134935.jpg

Hi the range control module has to be re adapted after fitting this involves switching to the manual headlight adjustment and then the beam patterns are checked against a wall or an mot standard light beam checker and then when this is done go back to the control module status and press done, this will have given the module its new operating peramiters so that when the lights are turned on they should both move downward and come up again to their operating height.

Steve.

Regarding windscreen fitting you'll need to speak to autoglass or autowindscreens etc. Alternatively bsoeak to your insurance company to see if they'll cover the change of the windscreen under your insurance.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:56 PM, Steve Q said:

Regarding windscreen fitting you'll need to speak to autoglass or autowindscreens etc. Alternatively bsoeak to your insurance company to see if they'll cover the change of the windscreen under your insurance.

Thanks, ive got windscreen sorted, a family member knows someone who will do it for me. 

On 6/10/2022 at 9:11 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi the range control module has to be re adapted after fitting this involves switching to the manual headlight adjustment and then the beam patterns are checked against a wall or an mot standard light beam checker and then when this is done go back to the control module status and press done, this will have given the module its new operating peramiters so that when the lights are turned on they should both move downward and come up again to their operating height.

Steve.

Apparently my model doesn't have the range control on it hence why there's a blank space on the switch. But still confused as to why there would be a headlight range module in place 🤷‍♀️ I think to be honest I'm going to need to book it in with an electrician because it's getting to the point where its just head work now because I don't know if previous owners have tampered with it or even if it's been in an accident. I've paid online and done some checks to see but nothing was declared 🤔😐

On 6/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, Sarahlouise1990 said:

Apparently my model doesn't have the range control on it hence why there's a blank space on the switch. But still confused as to why there would be a headlight range module in place 🤷‍♀️ I think to be honest I'm going to need to book it in with an electrician because it's getting to the point where its just head work now because I don't know if previous owners have tampered with it or even if it's been in an accident. I've paid online and done some checks to see but nothing was declared 🤔😐

The bit you are looking at was the old manual control method, its all controlled through the box automatically now, I think you may be over thinking this  problem as the module controls the beam height .

Steve.

8 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

The bit you are looking at was the old manual control method, its all controlled through the box automatically now, I think you may be over thinking this  problem as the module controls the beam height .

Steve.

Oooh right I get you. I might be but I'm trying to get an understanding of the issues my car has. If you look at my previous forums. I've got an issue with my phone up screen not working and the radio not coming on. And when I've put a diagnostic on it .. one of the faults was a control module so was trying to rule out what each one does and if I change them would it make any difference 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sarahlouise1990 said:

Oooh right I get you. I might be but I'm trying to get an understanding of the issues my car has. If you look at my previous forums. I've got an issue with my phone up screen not working and the radio not coming on. And when I've put a diagnostic on it .. one of the faults was a control module so was trying to rule out what each one does and if I change them would it make any difference 

Hi yes as each module only has a limited life span unlike the Ford modules you can't diagnostically clear all the information, back to factory and they relearn their info from scratch.

Steve.