Help A3 170 sline

DSid

Lads just a quick one

possibly first time Audi owner here

ive given in with the bm’s.

I have the chance to buy a A3 2012 Sline.

Mint condition 135000 on clock 

what sort of reports do these engines get ?

I’ve ran two cars up too nearly 200 thousand, Bora and a vectra.

are these strong and capable or something to get rid of around this mileage 

thanks 

It can not possibly be mint condition if it has done 135000 miles. Wear and tear is inevitable no matter who made the car. Let's have a realistic assessment.

Until you tell us which engine is fitted how can anybody comment? Some engines have a reputation for rapid oil loss, others are very durable.

A good service history??

How about who the previous owners were, and how they drove the cars?

Really difficult to give advice on used cars, and the future life of the car without all the details.

It is in mint condition for miles I mean.

it’s got service history with Audi up until 85 thousand.

then bits and bobs.

it’s a very clean car just wanted some advice on if these engines are notorious or anything 

1 hour ago, cliffcoggin said:

Once again Sid. Which engine does it have?

Hi it is the 170 version mate 

not sure exactly what name of engine is.

Service history is key.  When was the Cambelt and water pump last changed. 

Is it auto or manual? Regardless when was the gearbox oil changed. If auto this is more important. 

Is it quattro? If so do all the tyres have even tread and are the tyres matching on each axle. As uneven tyre wear can damage the quattro system. When was the Quattro system serviced. 

Does the AC work and all electronic work as these both can be costly to repair. 

Has it got xenon headlights. If so do they work ok properly as bulbs and ballasts can be expensive to change. 

I'm assuming you've done a hpi check and not check on the DVLA website. 

• Like 1

It’s been thoroughly checked over mate as in HPI checks etc etc

service history 

up to 80-90 Thou was audi

Looked like a company car in a lady’s name.

after that it’s pretty random.

the car to drive is crisp feels like a new car.

I looked over receipts but couldn’t find belt change so il stick it straight for that & a service 

Its not the Quattro and it’s manual 

Edited by DSid

6 hours ago, DSid said:

It’s been thoroughly checked over mate as in HPI checks etc etc

service history 

up to 80-90 Thou was audi

Looked like a company car in a lady’s name.

after that it’s pretty random.

the car to drive is crisp feels like a new car.

I looked over receipts but couldn’t find belt change so il stick it straight for that & a service 

Its not the Quattro and it’s manual 

Unless done recently bid also recommend a full service and gearbox oil change then unless done very recently. 

What work has it had done since the car hasn't been through Audi servicing. Ie have services been done on time or has the owner just waited for the car to break? 

I run an old Audi and I try and keep on top of maintenance bas best as possible. Mines over serviced if anything. But even so there's always something that needs doing.  

Then again my A6 is sentimental and been in the family from new, now 20 years old with 340k. It's got to that mileage with good servicing. It's never missed a service in 20 years. It has at least 1 if not 2 a year depending on my road trip schedule. I then keep a list of jobs that I need to get done. Which is a rolling list. 

Hello Sid,

’…..been through HPI mate…’ isn’t the full extent of what you can - and should - check yourself on line. HPI does not give you any indication of the ‘quality’ of the car.

Have you checked the DVLA ‘Vehicle check’ to see when the last V5 was issued, to give an idea of how long the last owner may have had it - unless you already know?  Any short term ownership can suggest issues with the car. If you know who the last owner was , have you contacted them? That should give you a far better idea of the car’s condition than service history ever will. Have you checked the MOT history on line? 
‘…mint (for year)…..’. It’s amazing how attractive a bad car can be made to look, so don’t necessarily fall in love with it’s appearance alone. 
Falls within the ‘ high oil consumption’ period? Think so, but Steve Y on here is your man for such things. 
Cambelt not done ? I would be checking the cost, which may be some hundreds of pounds. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 7:46 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Sid,

’…..been through HPI mate…’ isn’t the full extent of what you can - and should - check yourself on line. HPI does not give you any indication of the ‘quality’ of the car.

Have you checked the DVLA ‘Vehicle check’ to see when the last V5 was issued, to give an idea of how long the last owner may have had it - unless you already know?  Any short term ownership can suggest issues with the car. If you know who the last owner was , have you contacted them? That should give you a far better idea of the car’s condition than service history ever will. Have you checked the MOT history on line? 
‘…mint (for year)…..’. It’s amazing how attractive a bad car can be made to look, so don’t necessarily fall in love with it’s appearance alone. 
Falls within the ‘ high oil consumption’ period? Think so, but Steve Y on here is your man for such things. 
Cambelt not done ? I would be checking the cost, which may be some hundreds of pounds. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

An informative read, reassures me I bought a good car. 1 owner from new with 82k registered miles, bought when he retired, garaged every night, passed all MOT’s with no advisories, always run on ultimate fuel, full dealership history, services & cam belt done from time lapsed not mileage. Interior is 9.5/10, minor entry & exit wear on seat bolster, steering wheel & gear knob absolutely immaculate, look like new but assured they’re original from leaving factory. Carpet & headlining 👌🏽, swapped the 18’s for 19’s & now she’s an even better looker. I love my S Line Quattro Sportback. 😁👌🏽

29DA4BF7-1590-4B3E-BFBE-7FF82CDF3476.png

2116B70D-79C1-4304-9362-B2892510466B.png

Hi lads.

bought the car height adjuster handle is knackered  so I’m stuck high up at the moment.

ive racked up nearly 2500 miles and car runs great.

a picked up a load of history from Audi also with cambelt and that done.

car seems ok, if I can’t get comfy when seat is fixed I’ll have to sell it, it’s the only bad point for me when I’m doing long distance a feel like I can’t move 

Edited by DSid

Hello Sid,

Are you talking about the driver seat height adjustment lever nor working as it should? 
If so, manual adjustment seats or electric? 
So some of the advice offered when you asked for it, did prove to be useful then - yes? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sid,

Are you talking about the driver seat height adjustment lever nor working as it should? 
If so, manual adjustment seats or electric? 
So some of the advice offered when you asked for it, did prove to be useful then - yes? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yeah, I mean I tend to go off gut instinct with everything but the car was driven over 100 miles to me so it was well warmed up on arrival but it was just a car you could tell was looked after, the way it drove , gear changes Even little things outside of the mechanics the leather on the seats looked immaculate, barely looked like it had been sat in.

anyway yeah the seat it’s got the electric adjuster yeah but it’s the plastic handle height adjuster on driver seat.

only moves 3 up to lift and one down to lower. But it’s still really high.

the passenger seat one has about 15 pushes up and down.

nothing stuck underneath I’ve tried to get into it but I feel it may be seat removal