Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1

BigTownz

Hi fellow audi'ers. Im currently experiencing power loss and alot of black smoke out the back of my audi (when I put my foot down). I have read it with VCDS and the following error is visible:

8187 - Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1 (G235)

P2080 00 [101] implausible signal.

Can anyone explain exactly where this sensor is as ive googled and they all give a location but im unsure where that location is on my car.

One thing to note is my car is the 2.0tdi S Line 170 with the stupid CNHA engine. Any pics or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the pictures aren't clear enough.

20220615_154955.jpg

20220615_155001.jpg

4 hours ago, BigTownz said:

Hi fellow audi'ers. Im currently experiencing power loss and alot of black smoke out the back of my audi (when I put my foot down). I have read it with VCDS and the following error is visible:

8187 - Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1 (G235)

P2080 00 [101] implausible signal.

Can anyone explain exactly where this sensor is as ive googled and they all give a location but im unsure where that location is on my car.

One thing to note is my car is the 2.0tdi S Line 170 with the stupid CNHA engine. Any pics or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the pictures aren't clear enough.

20220615_154955.jpg

20220615_155001.jpg

Hi I have to go down and see my mechanic tomorrow and I will see where that one pops up on his autodata though I am pretty sure its one of the three on top of the engine between the cat and turbo.

Steve.

9 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I have to go down and see my mechanic tomorrow and I will see where that one pops up on his autodata though I am pretty sure its one of the three on top of the engine between the cat and turbo.

Steve.

Perfect steve, thanks. I hope its there too. Theres three together and one before them. Im hoping its the one on its own

Just now, BigTownz said:

Perfect steve, thanks. I hope its there too. Theres three together and one before them. Im hoping its the one on its own

Hi as soon as I can find out I will post a picture if possible or a boring in depth description of its whereabouts.

Steve.

22 hours ago, BigTownz said:

Hi Ryan there are three sensors in all my most educated guess is its the one next to the Nox andOxygen sensors in front of the turbo but before the Cat, I have pictures and diagrams from my parts system, all three have the same part number but end with a different letter which is the usual cr@p way of making out they are different.

IMG_20220616_194037_resized_20220616_075021731.jpg

IMG_20220616_194136_resized_20220616_075053382.jpg

IMG_20220616_194809_resized_20220616_075116013.jpg

IMG_20220616_194829_resized_20220616_075138937.jpg

Just to add, i have taken this sensor off and it was absolutely caked with soot. I have cleaned it with some carb cleaner, cleared the code and cleared the sensors learned values. Drove round the block and no difference made (still no power and lots of black soot out the back), although the code hasnt popped back up.

I forgot to mention, if you remember my previous post over a year ago, i had issues where I ended up spending over £2000 to have it repaired and had the dpf removed. Egr and adblu has also been coded out.

Im actually thinking this is the wrong sensor as all readups say its either on or pre turbo housing. Problem is I cant even find the turbo and really dont want to start stripping her down

20220617_180828.jpg

20220617_180834.jpg

***Edited due to typos and wrong information being showing in original diagram***

Right, sorry for flooding the thread, but I think ive cracked it.

I started by disconnecting 1 sensor at a time and reading with vcds to see what error it throws up.

Disconnected bank 1 sensor 1, no error shown

Disconnect bank 1 sensor 2 - error shown P2031 00 [167].

This helped me determine exactly which sensor was which on the digram.

For anyone that needs to know part numbers

Bank 1 Sensor 1 part number is - 04L906088DR

Bank 1 Sensor 2 part number is - 4G0906088K

Theres actually 4 sensors on my car and when watching the values of them all it was clear Sensor 1 was the culprit due to the difference in temperature sensing. It was reading -35 degrees whilst the others were reading 130+. 

Whilst the issue isnt resloved, I have ordered the part and will update you once fitted.

20220617_190946.jpg

Screenshot_20220617-192139_Chrome.jpg

10 minutes ago, BigTownz said:

Right, sorry for flooding the thread, but I think ive cracked it.

I started by disconnecting 1 sensor at a time and reading with vcds to see what error it throws up.

Disconnected bank 1 sensor 1, no error shown

Disconnect bank 1 sensor 2 - error shown P2031 00 [167].

This helped me determine exactly which sensor was which on the digram.

For anyone that needs to know part numbers

Bank 1 Sensor 1 part number is - 4G0906088K

Bank 1 Sensor 2 part number is - 4G0906088DR

Theres actually 4 sensors on my car and when watching the values of them all it was clear Sensor 1 was the culprit due to the difference in temperature sensing. It was reading -35 degrees whilst the others were reading 130+. 

Whilst the issue isnt resloved, I have ordered the part and will update you once fitted.

Screenshot_20220617-192536_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6d2a6cde2118a04efc3e3f46c2bb6921.jpg

20220617_190946.jpg

Hi Ryan the sensor you are changing is the one I guessed in previous post which is next to the Nox and OXYGEN SENSOR, the turbo is that thing above the three sensors together with what looks like a pastry cutter for a shield, the one you removed was in the cat so thats why it was caked in crud there is no sensor before the turbo as thats the fresh air intake because it works in reverse to conventional systems to the point where there is an exhaust flap as the pipe leaves the engine to divert exhaust gas back into the engine through the low pressure EGR valve the other side of the DPF via a gas cooler so in essence we are the proud owners of two EGR valves.

Steve.

Cheers Stevey, makes perfect sense. And would you agree the sensor stating its -33 degrees is the issue for power loss and black soot? Im assuming its causing the air and fuel mixure to be wrong and the car is trying to increase its temperature to match the other sensors values as they should be the same give or take a few degrees?

32 minutes ago, BigTownz said:

Cheers Stevey, makes perfect sense. And would you agree the sensor stating its -33 degrees is the issue for power loss and black soot? Im assuming its causing the air and fuel mixure to be wrong and the car is trying to increase its temperature to match the other sensors values as they should be the same give or take a few degrees?

Hi bang on more or less as when a sensor is failing the ECU reverts to a strategy that involves fuel enrichment, this is to stop it running lean which burns valves and pistons, over fueling is a distinct possibility.

Steve.

if unsure unplug the sensor you think it is and start the car and see if the fault has changed to permanent instead of implausible, if its a new sensor giving a fault clear the codes with VCDS and move to the next one to repeat. That will help identify which sensor your looking for in a more manual way.

Alternatively i recommend investing in ODIS and a cable and see what the stealer-ship see's

• Like 1

So, new part came today. Ive fitted and the error persists. But now a new error code has popped up

8809 - cylinder 3 interal preasure sensor

P13D6 00 [101].

😡

Any advice please? 

20220621_150617.jpg

20220621_150625.jpg

2 hours ago, BigTownz said:

So, new part came today. Ive fitted and the error persists. But now a new error code has popped up

8809 - cylinder 3 interal preasure sensor

P13D6 00 [101].

😡

Any advice please? 

20220621_150617.jpg

20220621_150625.jpg

Hi the sensor you want is built in to no3 cylinder glow plug, I had to change mine recently its just over a hundred quid and a sweaty palms time changing it as they are known for snapping off if they are stuck, I changed mine using a torque wrench at 20nm to undo if it wants more than that leave the plug chamber soaking in Plusgas overnight the other thing is when changing make sure the engine is HOT and tighten to no more than 17nm. I have posted on this subject on the A6 C7 part of the forum.

Steve.

Thanks for the info Stevey, weird thing is vcds still reads it and obtains a pressure reading of 39bar when idling when unplugged the bar reading is -1.000 and does not fluctuate (which is expected). The second picture is the error given if I idle the engine with the bank 3 sensor unplugged, but when the sensor is plugged in it gives the implausible error??? Why is this? And can this sensor also cause the power loss and black smoke?

20220621_175816.jpg

20220621_175552.jpg

20220621_150617.jpg

6 minutes ago, BigTownz said:

Thanks for the info Stevey, weird thing is vcds still reads it and obtains a pressure reading of 39bar when idling when unplugged the bar reading is -1.000 and does not fluctuate (which is expected). The second picture is the error given if I idle the engine with the bank 3 sensor unplugged, but when the sensor is plugged in it gives the implausible error??? Why is this? And can this sensor also cause the power loss and black smoke?

20220621_175816.jpg

20220621_175552.jpg

20220621_150617.jpg

Hi god knows why they go up the wall but believe me they are only a knock sensor, I had the light on and off for two weeks while I waited for TPS to get their finger out, its perfectly possible for that to cause overfuelling if the all seeing eye ECU thinks its that that is failing, could well have been a combination of both sensors, carefully check the wiring to the plug cap as thats been known to break as well thats why they sell a lot of glow plug looms, the whole diesel VAG range uses these monstrosities, still it could be worse Vauxhalls use four of them. Its just another Cr@p design thats making money.

Steve.

I hope its not the loom as I dont want to have to go down that avenue. Would you happen to know the part number for the glow plug?

17 hours ago, BigTownz said:

I hope its not the loom as I dont want to have to go down that avenue. Would you happen to know the part number for the glow plug?

Hi Ryan, original number 03L 905 061 G OR SUPERSESSION NUMBER 03L 905 061 K  that was the two numbers for mine but it appears that 059 905 061 H is another number but I am sure they will all be the same as long as the main part numbers match the letters are years for supersession try TPS or any motor factors, eBay has plenty its just the wait for the item, they seem quite popular, I wonder why LOL and they use them on all the CH designated engines.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stevey, sorry I've been away hence the late reply. I have just googled the numbers provided and they say its for the Audi A3. I presume these parts are the same across the range of diesels? I will get the part anyway and feedback to you

4 minutes ago, BigTownz said:

Hi Stevey, sorry I've been away hence the late reply. I have just googled the numbers provided and they say its for the Audi A3. I presume these parts are the same across the range of diesels? I will get the part anyway and feedback to you

Hi Ryan the same plug is used right across the range it was all part of their parts globalisation strategy, use the same part on most models but charge different prices according to the models, if the part number matches it will fit.

Steve.

Just now, Stevey Y said:

Hi Ryan the same plug is used right across the range it was all part of their parts globalisation strategy, use the same part on most models but charge different prices according to the models, if the part number matches it will fit.

Steve.

PS don't forget to re adapt it on VCDS before running.

cheers, I have found a brand new genuine one still sealed etc on eBay for £30, but its part number 059 905 061 H, I think im going to order this one 🙂

Just now, BigTownz said:

Thanks, I didnt know I had to....

Hi neither did I until I found it in basic settings before I ran it, had a sneaking suspicion about it as just about everything else needs re adapting when changed, ITS NUTS.

Steve.

So, I fitted the new glow plug with pressure sensor today.  Cleared all the codes and re-adapted the senor and other sensors in the loop. Same issue persists, no power, wont drive above 30mph and kicking out lots of black smoke. Any thoughts?

Just to add, VCDS is no longer picking any error codes up

🙈