Over average fuel consumption

Granit

Hi guys,

I am new to forums, and have no idea how this works.

I have just downgraded (upgraded) from A4 2.0 to an Audi A3 1.4 Tfsi 150hp and im very satisfied with it, but, the fuel consumption gets me worried. In extra urban is 7.2L/100km constantly and in Urban 8-9L/100km, what worries me the most is extra Urban, in all Audi reviews there was 4.8-5.2L/100km and i cannot bring it to this point even in Eco Mode. With these price changing of the fuel in daily basis, its a bit expensive to drive it. 

P.S my A4 used to consume 5.7L/100h on highways 🤔

Any advice, feel free to give

Thanks

Hello Granit,

Thanks for being in touch. 
Are the figures you quote ‘Manufacturer’s quoted figures’? If so, they are known to be optimistic in terms of actual on-road usage. 
You will need to tell us what your overall ( full to full) fuel consumption is on your normal journey, and describe that journey in terms of urban/non urban. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

Yes they actually are Manufacture’s quoted figures. Well its been two days since i got this car but i am comparing to my A4 2.0 150hp. As far as I know petrol uses at least a litter more than diesel. 

In my display is saying that Short Term is 7.2L/100km average, in long term 11-12L/100km this is right now.

Maybe it is normal, i do not know, this is my first petrol car. But since i got it it was impossible to bring it to at least 6L/100km

I’ve driven in highways and city, max speed 120kmh, city 40-50kmh all in ECO Mode. Its not that i rushed or smth,

Regards 

Granit

Many thanks Granit,

Manufacturer’s figure are alway optimistic. 
I think for far more realistic figures you might start at looking around 70% of their quoted figures, and see what you get in comparison. 
The car’s computer figures can certainly be taken as a reasonable guide, but I still go by filling the tank and measuring how much fuel it actually takes to refill to the full level. That will give you an exact consumption figure over you normal journeys. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you Gareth, 

I filled my tank today, so i will see how Km i can do and get an average. Also i’ll check if theres any leak or something. 

Let’s see, if i have any update i’ll write here so it could help someone with the same “issue” 🙂

Many thanks Gareth

• Like 1

If it helps, my 2017 A3 is similar to yours, except it's an automatic cabriolet, and I've had it from new.
It's rarely used for long journeys, it's set to Comfort mode, and it's used on mainly rural roads.
Overall fuel consumption shows up as 47.2 mpg, which I believe equates to just below 6 litres per 100km.

I'm not suggesting that you should be expecting identical consumption figures, but I thought the comparison might be useful.

• Like 1

Hi Oake,

Since its a used car, i needed to do some changes and today on open road went down to 5.7L/km. But is it normal to hear tires noise inside the cabin or my tires are broken ? Since i have never had a sedan before, i am assuming i need to change tires 

Thanks for your reply

15 minutes ago, Granit said:

Hi Oake,

Since its a used car, i needed to do some changes and today on open road went down to 5.7L/km. But is it normal to hear tires noise inside the cabin or my tires are broken ? Since i have never had a sedan before, i am assuming i need to change tires 

Thanks for your reply

Tyre noise isn't normally a reason to change tyres - different makes of tyres on different road surfaces will produce different noise levels. My car is a convertible, so I can hear external noises all the time - maybe yours is missing some soundproofing in the cabin?
If your tyres have decent tread depth across their whole width, and there's no damage to the sidewalls, they should be OK.
Sounds like your fuel consumption is pretty similar to mine, so maybe you don't have a problem there...

• Like 1

Tyres are good i suppose 2021. I just changed discs the noise got reduced a little bit but it is still very noisy inside the cabin.

Hello Granit,

Please excuse me if I’ve got this all wrong, but it looks to me that you are focussing on your discontents with the car ( possibly compared with the old one) rather than enjoying what is better with it. It don’t wish to be critical, but things like fuel consumption are now rather more what-you-have-is-what-you’ve- got, and it would seem that your car is about typical, give or take road conditions and driving style, so is it really worth worrying about too much in the overall expenditure to buy the car? 
I’m sure you will appreciate that road noise from tyres can vary considerably, and yes, there could be something wrong with the car, but chances are there isn’t. Not sure what changing brake discs was likely to do to alter this, but OK..

I think it might be worth trying to sit back and enjoy the car Granit, but if you can’t then this could cost in terms of exchanging it for something more suitable. 
Tyre makes and remaining tread? Is your car a Sportback? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Granit said:

Hi Oake,

Thanks for your reply

Hi tyre noise varies according to the type of road surface you are driving on yesterday I drove round the M25 on the Gatwick side and it sounded like hell until I got to the Heathrow side and it was all quite again because thats all been resurfaced with Tarmac and the Gatwick side is milled concrete.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hey Gareth,

Thank you for your advice, you are a true helper 💪🏻. The noise was from wheel bearing, its all fixed now, the “strange” noise is all gone. 

I am happy with my choice, i just love Audi and wont change it. First time Petrol, always Petrol 🙂

Thank you guys for everything 🤙

• Like 2