Dash cam

Paddington

Hi, I am looking for advice on having a dash cam fitted to my brand new A3 S Line sportback.  What make would you recommend as the best and advice on having it hardwired as I don't want cables trailing everywhere. I know Halfords offer a fitting service if you buy a dash cam from them but would this affect my warranty? Do I therefore need to go to an Audi dealer, there is only one here in Northern Ireland or can I use any qualified garage?  I do not want to attempt to hardwire the unit myself just in case I do something to damage the vehicle.  Sorry for the long question but any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Paddington said:

Hi, I am looking for advice on having a dash cam fitted to my brand new A3 S Line sportback.  What make would you recommend as the best and advice on having it hardwired as I don't want cables trailing everywhere. I know Halfords offer a fitting service if you buy a dash cam from them but would this affect my warranty? Do I therefore need to go to an Audi dealer, there is only one here in Northern Ireland or can I use any qualified garage?  I do not want to attempt to hardwire the unit myself just in case I do something to damage the vehicle.  Sorry for the long question but any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. 

As far as I no Dash cam fitting won’t affect warranty aslong as the installer doesn’t splice into the car loom which there’s no need for them to do that anyway. 

as for dash cam brands, it all comes down to personal choice imo, I’d personally do for one that’s as discreet as possible that would fit nicely behind the rear view mirror. 

Also I personally wouldn’t go to Halfords for anything as there installers are far from qualified to be working on vehicles, I’d look for a decent tracker installer type company or local car audio installer they normally do dash cam supply and fitting 

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks for the advice, I will certainly avoid Halfords, I wasn't too impressed by their staff knowledge and I certainly don't want anybody unqualified messing around with the vehicle wiring. 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Paddington said:

Brilliant, thanks for the advice, I will certainly avoid Halfords, I wasn't too impressed by their staff knowledge and I certainly don't want anybody unqualified messing around with the vehicle wiring. 

I've hardwired a NextBase camera into my car, and used the NextBase wiring kit to piggy-back an ignition live from the fusebox. It was very straight forward to install, I think it took me around 30 mins including wiring - and I'm no expert at electrics. 

• Like 1

Hi don't go anywhere near Halfords the Monkeys at London Zoo have more savvy than them, there is a branch next to our local Asda and I was waiting for the fare as I was ten mins early, the Halfords Tech was just in the process of telling this Octavia owner he can't change the headlight bulb as its a sealed for life bulb and he would need a new unit, after he went away to check the price of a new unit I got out of the car and asked the owner if I could have a go he said yes, as he put it what have I got to loose, two mins later I presented him with the old bulb, they are a very tight straight push fit design, I stuck around to watch the rather angry owner present the Tech with the old bulb and then left them to it, I did advise the owner to tell him he had removed the bulb then they couldn't try the old Scallops about an un trained person doing it.

Steve.