metal clunk noise going over bumps in the road, where to look?

arron1995

Hello Steve,

I used to favour KYB, but had a couple of incidences of poor service life (not on an Audi) whereby they became (rock?) hard in a relatively short space of time - gas issues? I was possibly unlucky - twice. 
The other make you mention is an unknown to me. Something new to learn every day! 
Many thanks again Steve.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Whilst where talking about my issues, now I’ve noticed when I turn my steering wheel side to side while stationary it’s now creaking quite a bit whereas the other day it was only lightly doing it.

4 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

So it's getting worse. What do you expect?

I’m dreading the racks got an issue, the car to me is not worth spending that much money on.

12 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve,

I used to favour KYB, but had a couple of incidences of poor service life (not on an Audi) whereby they became (rock?) hard in a relatively short space of time - gas issues? I was possibly unlucky - twice. 
The other make you mention is an unknown to me. Something new to learn every day! 
Many thanks again Steve.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi the item I was banging on about is the springs I have never used the shocks I only ever fitted Bilstein  B4/B6s but for your average mile owner the choice is unlimited.

Steve.

3 hours ago, arron1995 said:

I’m dreading the racks got an issue, the car to me is not worth spending that much money on.

Hi its not the rack, probably a top mount bearing been bashed to death by the lack of damping.

Steve.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi its not the rack, probably a top mount bearing been bashed to death by the lack of damping.

Steve.

Found a local mechanic Steve, literally up the road, gonna give them a call tomorrow see when they can book me in , luckily they close at 6pm, which makes it 10x easier for me 

• Like 1

Took it to the local mechanic and they said everything was perfect… it just doesn’t make sense, it either has to be the shocks or shocks and top mounts. 

Had it to a 3rd mechanic who couldn’t find any issues… today I removed the battery as I’ve noticed a lot of engine movement and I’ve found that the gearbox mount has a lot of play in it, that requires minimal force to move side to side, going to change it and hopefully that’s my issue solved