A1 Potential new owner

Chalky13

Hi all, after years of owning various BMW Mini’s we’re moving to Audi A1. I owned a 13 plate in my old job as a company car, diesel Sport model

Now looking to buy one for up to £5000 ish which I know means high mileage, but from the research I’ve done so far, providing the car has full service history and cambelt done and turbo, we should be avoiding any issues? Does that sound right, or are the turbo etc ok for 100K+ models?

Looking forward to learning and owning an Audi again 

cheers 

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 

You're right to want full service history. If auto make sure the gearbox oil has been serviced. 

If turbo has been changed then thats a bonus. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I’ve found a seemingly nice one not too far away, thats got full service history and a receipt for the cambelt at 57k miles, but the cars now on 130k

Should it have been done again? I’ve also found one without the belt done at all on 138k but with part history but a new clutch fitted 

do either sound potentially like a side step job or ok to look at ? 

Hello Dave,

Thanks for being in touch.

What year are these cars? If they are indeed 2011 models as per your profile, then they should have had at least two cambelt changes within their service history, and be half way through the second - every 5 years. 
In effect, it’s difficult to consider it has full service history if the belt assembly ( and water pump) hasn’t been changed since 57k and it’s now on 130k. To me, this would not be a deal breaker so long as you get it done straight away, and I guess factor in the cost within the purchase price. 
Clutches and that sort of mileage would however be a worry, since the weak spot will be the in-bell housing release bearing assembly since if the clutch hasn’t been renewed in the recent past ( with quality parts) then this can be an anticipated costly . issue which could realistically crop up. 
Last point I would suggest you research, is the excessive oil consumption of engines of this era - Stevey Y on here is the man with the knowledge on these ‘low friction’ engines , but suffice it to say, it can have been serviced up to the hilt, but can still have an alcoholic thirst for engine oil. 
Hope some of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Buying from a VAT registered seller so you have some comeback? 

• Like 1

Thank you, that’s really helpful 👍

we’re looking at cars from 2011 to 2014 at the moment, various mileages etc, the 2 examples I gave earlier are 2 I’ve contacted today 

I’ll certainly keep these points in mind, really helpful thank you 

• Like 1

Clutch possibly yes. Cambelt, tensioner and water pump - probably a lot cheaper. Best to get estimates from your trusted local garage before committing. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Deposit placed on a 2012 2.0 S-Line model 3dr in black, cambelt, tensioner, water pump done in March, new MOT, prev MOTs are excellent, FSH 

Looks the part. Just got to wait for it to be ready from the garage now. Comes with 12 month warranty too. (Which I know sometimes aren’t worth the paper they’re written on but…) 

Thanks for the tips guys 👍

Will post pics and plan on being an active member on the site 

Dave 

Hats off to Audi, did a live chat and got this back in seconds

Equipment and design packages

[WBI] Comfort package
-[8T2] Cruise control
-[4L6] Auto dimming rear view mirror
-[8N6] Light and rain sensors
-[4GP] Windscreen Sunband

18. MMI® and navigation systems
[PNV] Connectivity package
-[9ZX] Phone prep-Bluetooth interface
-[UF7] Audi music interface
-[7Q4] Prep for navigation system

19. Radio and TV systems
-[9VK] BOSE surround sound system
-[QV3] DAB digital radio

22. Assistance systems
-[7X4] Audi parking system plus

Colours
Interior Trim Colours - Seats/Dashboard/Carpet/Headliner
-[QZ] black-jet grey/black-black/black/black

Exterior paint finishes (pearl effect) without roof contrast line
-[L8L8] Phantom Black, pearl effect

Uncategorized
-[C2K] 18x7.5J 5-arm rotor, titanium Alloys 
-[N7V] Sprint cloth/leath S line
[PB2] Black edition
-[9AK] Electronic Climate Control
-[4KF] Privacy glass
-[4GP] Windscreen Sunband
-[4ZM] Black styling package
-[8BP] Xenon plus
-[8Q3] Automatic headlight adjustment
-[8SK] LED rear lights
-[8X1] Headlight washers
[PQD] S line exterior package
-[7M8] Door sill trims w S line logo
-[5J3] S line roof spoiler
-[2JD] Sports bumpers
-[0NB] S line logo, exterior
-[QQ1] LED interior light package
[WQS] S line sports package
-[UC3] S line sports suspension
-[6F1] S line badge
-[7M8] Door sill trims w S line logo
-[6NQ] Cloth headlining - black
-[C5I] 17x7.5J 5-twin spoke alloys
-[0NB] S line logo, exterior
-[Q1D] Front Sports seats

Could anyone confirm if this means the navigation is active in the car, or just there but needs dealer activating?

-[7Q4] Prep for navigation system

thanks 

Car is bought and home, drives like a dream, pulls like one hell of a machine 

Couple of minor lines that will polish out on the 1/4’s but no car park dings or anything.

Small scuff on the bumper trim, but the alloys need tidying. Is this standard for these? 

56A49172-CCDD-40F5-BB7F-8347AED04334.thumb.jpeg.8237778969c0161434692feef3bd3b82.jpeg40F87B67-76DF-4463-86C5-1DC04D62ABA6.thumb.jpeg.01bf4f248cca99f35247a12e461edaee.jpeg