HELP! Strange gearbox noise!

greysquirrel

My 2.0Tdi started making an odd noise yesterday. It's a grinding rattle sort of sound, very noticeable that happens when slowing down in gear at low revs. As soon as the clutch is pressed, it stops. The car feels fine at normal driving speeds, and there is no noise under acceleration or cruising speeds. I've parked it up until I can get a garage to look at it, but can anyone suggest what it might be?

6 hours ago, greysquirrel said:

My 2.0Tdi started making an odd noise yesterday. It's a grinding rattle sort of sound, very noticeable that happens when slowing down in gear at low revs. As soon as the clutch is pressed, it stops. The car feels fine at normal driving speeds, and there is no noise under acceleration or cruising speeds. I've parked it up until I can get a garage to look at it, but can anyone suggest what it might be?

Hi its the Duel Mass Flywheel its a classic sign of failure, the reason it changes when the pedal is pressed is because the release bearing has disengaged the pressure plate and driven plate therefore the DMF has nothing to fight against and the inner part of the flywheel which moves when the clutch is engaged will be back at its protocol position ready to move when the clutch is engaged.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

It's strange, because I got the garage to drive it the next day, he heard it the first time he slowed down, wasn't sure what it was, but then it stopped doing it. 500 miles later its not made any more odd noises at all! Still no idea what caused it.