Which A6? Avant or Allroad

SteTB

Hi all,

I am looking at buying an A6 for the comfort/space/tow capability.

I am interested to know what you think of your A6's and if there is a clear preference of allroad or not (does the air suspension make a difference)

Any purchasing advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ste

Despite a couple of mechanical issues I love my A6 Allroad. Great car to drive, quiet, comfortable and the engine pulls like a train.

I regularly tow a caravan and had had no issues. Its very stable when towing the 'van. On occasion I have also towed trailers full of logs and builders rubble right up to the 2500kg towing capacity. Again I have had no issues doing this.

The only issue I have with the car is the boot isn't really that big with the rear seats in position.

I find I get 35 - 38 mpg and I live in a rural area with no motorways/dual carriageways so its mostly A-roads and twisty/turny B-roads.

The car handles great in all weather conditions and on the odd occasion there is snow it feels safe as I fitted a set of Vredestein 4-season tyres .

The major problems the allroads have is with the air suspension. 

In theory a standard A6 Quattro would be as good in snow as the allroad but not off-road obviously. 

Hi Steve,

I’ve owned both and prefer the Allroad. The air suspension can cause problems, just like every other bit of technology.

the original Allroad had the air pump underneath the car, current models is inside and better protected.

the avant (my son has a c7 avant, I’ve got c7 Allroad, both he and everyone of my friends that have ridden have commented on the more comfortable ride in the Allroad. (As do what car? Reviews). The  difference is very obvious when I’ve been in his car.

if you ever need to drive in any snow, the avant is ok to 2/3” deep, after that it turns into a snow plough. (It happened, we never got to work that week!)

I took my original 04 Allroad through 8” of and on another occasion 2’ of flood water. The height adjustable air suspension makes that easy.

the ability to adjust the ride height also helps with any uneven ground some of the more remote car parking areas seem to suffer from. (And a steep drive to get over the drive/footpath hump!)

probably best to ask for an extended test drive of both if you have any doubts.

good luck

Dave

Sorry, forgot to say. The 04 model I had needed a new air pump. £1300 from Audi. £300 from the US manufacturer, 2 hrs to fit. (Prices fm 8yrs ago)

also found a US supplier that makes replacement air bags, but they’re not rubber and guaranteed for life. 

suspension on all Audis is another issue unless you buy new, all the bush’s are part of the suspension arms (moulded in), anywhere between 80-100k they’ll need replacing. £3k by Audi for an A6 ( prices from 5 years ago) but you can buy all the bits for about £600, That’s a job any competent garage can do.