2009 A5 Convertible Rear Window Has Become Unbonded

Steve 1908

Hi Everyone

Newbie here and have searched the threads, but cannot find The answer.

I have a 2009 A5 Ragtop and, as it's just a summer and weekend car, I parked it last October until January.  The rear glass had become unbonded from the roof material and water had got into the boot area... a LOT of water,,,, you can imagine the damage.   The roof also stopped working, but after 5 hours with a diagostic computer that was rectified with a new sensor that had corroded.   

The main question I have, seeing as now the whole glass is just hanging in on a wing and a prayer and lots of duct tape ...Has anyone had any success repairing / refitting/ rebonding their rear glass? - I'm sure I can't be the only unlucky sufferer.

Also, water got into the amp and an electronics friend is trying to repair simply because I've ben unable to find one on eBay or a salvage yard.  The numbers on mine are 8F0 035 223 A     I have found others that look similar but wondering if anyone knows if they would be compatible?

Thank you (in advance) for any advice Guys (& Gals) - Steve

Photo 01-07-2022, 17 01 44.jpg

Photo 17-04-2022, 15 50 05.jpg

Photo 17-04-2022, 15 50 00.jpg

Hello Steve, 

Thanks for being in touch. 

Re. bonding the screen? Google Classic car Trimmers in your area - they should be fully equipped to deal with that for you. If you cannot find any trimmers, then it’s worth asking one of the principals at a local classic car club.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve, 

Thanks for being in touch. 

Re. bonding the screen? Google Classic car Trimmers in your area - they should be fully equipped to deal with that for you. If you cannot find any trimmers, then it’s worth asking one of the principals at a local classic car club.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. Thanks for your reply. 

I did think of that (sort of).... my neighbour and his dad have a couple of old Classic Austins and did ask him, but he didnt know anyone. I was thinking about getting a plastic one sewn in, if it couldn't be bonded back in... until I can safely afford a new roof skin. 

54 minutes ago, Steve 1908 said:

Hi Gareth. Thanks for your reply. 

I did think of that (sort of).... my neighbour and his dad have a couple of old Classic Austins and did ask him, but he didnt know anyone. I was thinking about getting a plastic one sewn in, if it couldn't be bonded back in... until I can safely afford a new roof skin. 

Hi strip off the Gaffer and clean round the edge with isopropyl, get some latex gloves and fill in any bits where its let go with Tiger Seal and before it sets smooth it with a tea spoon dipped in white spirit, practice on a small area first it won't be pretty but it will be more waterproof than the tape.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Think its a bit too far gone for that... the entire glass is out 🤷‍♂️ There must be a way somehow... Audi managed it originally lol

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get an answer 

I have the same issue with my 2005 A4 soft top. Not completely unbonded yet but getting there. Auto glass don’t do replace and refit and my insurers were useless

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 8:55 PM, Steve 1908 said:

Hi Steve

Think its a bit too far gone for that... the entire glass is out 🤷‍♂️ There must be a way somehow... Audi managed it originally lol

On 7/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, Julesb said:

Did you get an answer 

I have the same issue with my 2005 A4 soft top. Not completely unbonded yet but getting there. Auto glass don’t do replace and refit and my insurers were useless

Hi Steve, Julie,

This video came into my YouTube feed the other day - I don't know if it might be useful to you?

Cheers,

Mike 😎