Brake Servo restricted…no stop start/ you may continue driving?

Larryadler

Had this notification pop up this morning on my 2019 Q5, with 24k on the clock, but told me safe to continue driving

When depressing the brake pedal, strange feeling, and message tells me to contact workshop.

When I returned home, turned off vehicle, and back on and warning has now gone. Mmmmm, so took it for a drive, and everything back to normal, no message, brake pedal fine??????

So am I safe to continue using the vehicle, the stealer ship apparently plants the seed of ABS damage, servo seal damage, I find Audi dealers remarkable at diagnosing these faults, when their overall customer service is so crap!

I have looked on various sites, to establish why this happened, and it appears there are a lot of p…..d off owners who have been raped by the dealers, quoting £3k bills for new servo etc, and as usual the parts are always on back order!

it does appear the fault lays with a brake servo sensor, which is circa £80 at Audi and £15 for a spurious one, and fitting takes about 2 minutes ( you tube)
The stealerships apparently have been keeping the vehicle for days and charging £225 to fit it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it solved?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 227 views of this subject, and not one reply !
Having done my own enquires, I have obtained a new Audi brake pressure sensor for £38. Audi wanted £90! 
I have fitted it myself, it took at least 3 minutes, and my problem is resolved, simples! That would appear to be a stealership saving circa £400 !

Vor Sprung Dork !Removed! Technic !!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Larryadler ( I’m old enough to remember him!). 
I’m sorry no one has replied, but I think it was safe to assume that similar experiences to yours had already been well documented, and the resolution was clear. In effect, no one was likely to add anything new to the process of ‘issues and resolutions’.

Glad it’s now sorted to suit your pocket, and that highlighted actions on here had come to your aid. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, Larryadler said:

Well, 227 views of this subject, and not one reply !
Having done my own enquires, I have obtained a new Audi brake pressure sensor for £38. Audi wanted £90! 
I have fitted it myself, it took at least 3 minutes, and my problem is resolved, simples! That would appear to be a stealership saving circa £400 !

Vor Sprung Dork !Removed! Technic !!!!!!!!!!!

This has just happened to my 2019 Q5, just out of warranty! 24K miles. Does anyone happen to know the part number for the sensor, I’m happy to give changing a sensor a bash before being fisted by Audi…again. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Just look back through the numerous posts - and on EBay - and I’m sure you will find one.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth. I have the part. Now does anyone know where it is on a 2019 q5. Technician told me behind the pedal under console but I cannot find it? 

2 hours ago, Fedupwithaudi said:

Thanks Gareth. I have the part. Now does anyone know where it is on a 2019 q5. Technician told me behind the pedal under console but I cannot find it? 

Cancel. Nowhere near the pedal. Next to the brake fluid reservoir under bonnet ahead of steering wheel under plastic cover. 

• Like 2

Hello fed up with Audi.

The brake. Pressure sensor location and fitment is well documented on YouTube, with idiot proof guide for us less than competent mechanism.

I bought a genuine one off eBay, for £38, and it took me 2-3 minutes to fit it.

open bonnet, bulkhead offside, pull of the rubber moulding, and lift the plastic panel to access the servo. You will then see the brake pressure sensor attached to a tube which lead to the servo.

on the sensor, pull back the white clip and disconnect the electric plug. 
Reach in, and either side of the sensor there are two plastic clips which hold it in place, ease these two clips apart, and pull the sensor upwards. You will hear a rush of air as it disconnects from servo.

Replacement is as easy as removal. 
Problem solved in 2 minutes for which the stealership wanted £425!,,,,,,

good luck.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Larryadler said:

Hello fed up with Audi.

The brake. Pressure sensor location and fitment is well documented on YouTube, with idiot proof guide for us less than competent mechanism.

I bought a genuine one off eBay, for £38, and it took me 2-3 minutes to fit it.

open bonnet, bulkhead offside, pull of the rubber moulding, and lift the plastic panel to access the servo. You will then see the brake pressure sensor attached to a tube which lead to the servo.

on the sensor, pull back the white clip and disconnect the electric plug. 
Reach in, and either side of the sensor there are two plastic clips which hold it in place, ease these two clips apart, and pull the sensor upwards. You will hear a rush of air as it disconnects from servo.

Replacement is as easy as removal. 
Problem solved in 2 minutes for which the stealership wanted £425!,,,,,,

good luck.

Larry, Gareth. Thanks for your help. I bought the genuine part from Audi for £83 as I’m still in PCP with them. An Audi technician then showed me the wrong location for the sensor, indicating it was behind the brake pedal under the dash. Spent an hour removing various bits of plastic and upending myself to no avail, I then took to you tube prior to your message coming through Larry. Found the sensor and replaced it in about 3 minutes as you said. That didn’t clear the stop/start fault which happened at the same time, but I found another you tube clip in which a guy said to remove the wire connected to the side of the battery, reconnect it and that should reset the fault….and of course it did. I dread to think how much Audi would have charged me for that little lot, and I am somewhat flummoxed as to why the technician showed me the wrong area of the car to find the sensor. 

Regardless, thank you so much for your assistance and advice. Happy driving!!!

Audi technician……..now there’s an interesting thought………

Gave you incorrect information, and stung you for the part, it’s such a shame the dealers don’t match the quality of the vehicles, and that is the reason I have p/x my Q5 and moved on, voted with my feet 🤣😂

• 9 months later...

Thank goodness I have this thread! I felt the brakes doing the clicky bit when pressed firmly and the brake servo error appeared. I turned car off and back on again and it disappeared. The next few days I was out driving and the error came back on. I parked car up and haven't driven it since. Ordered the part off eBay and just fitted the new sensor now. Error has disappeared. Thank you guys, this was a life saver. Hopefully caught it before ABS went to !Removed!!

Audi A4 B9 2.0 TFSI 

I ordered the sensor off eBay £14.99 Brake Booster Pressure Sensor 5Q0906207 5Q0906207A👍🏽

Edited by figo_rulz11

• 5 months later...

Had brake servo restricted and start stop malfunction. 2017 q7.  Happened soon after car was turned on. At first stop,  Had to use force of like 200 pounds to get the brakes to stop the car. Had towed in for service. Also registered code p2006. Root cause -  A rodent chewed up a vacuum hose. Was not covered by warranty. Super scary. 

• Like 1