Boot lid opening on its own.

Blueit

Hi,

Anyone got any idea why the boot lid opens on it own,  (sometimes).

On several occasions  i have left my car in a car park (Locked), and when i have returned the boot has been open. Fortunately my boot was empty on each occasion

Any advice would be helpful as I am getting paranoid about it.

Thanks.

Allen

Thanks for your reply Joe, I had considered this, however, the lid was closed  after I had locked it.

But I take your point and will make sure I am more careful with the when handling  my keys after it has been locked.

Thanks again,

Allen

Just to let you know, depending on the settings, i think set by default.  Even if the car is locked, the boot release on the key still opens the boot.

Of course let us know if this is definitely not key.  Others on this forum might have other ideas.

On several occasions I have returned to my car to see the boot lid open (once in a busy town centre car park about an hour after walking away from the car).  I now keep hold of my keys until way out of range before putting them in my pocket.  I also glance back at the car when walking away to double-check the boot is still closed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, Blueit said:

Yes it does.

Cheers

Interesting. I had an A4 B8 that did exactly the same. If I waved the key fob past the OSR corner of the car, the boot lid sprung up of its own accord. It was still under warranty (just), sot he car went back to the dealer several times, without success. The best they could offer was to line the inside of the bumper area with tin foil to block the signal, or to deactivate the advanced key.

The factory didn't have a solution, & eventually Audi took the car back, as I wasn't prepared to accept the tin foil solution.

12 hours ago, Martyn W said:

Interesting. I had an A4 B8 that did exactly the same. If I waved the key fob past the OSR corner of the car, the boot lid sprung up of its own accord. It was still under warranty (just), sot he car went back to the dealer several times, without success. The best they could offer was to line the inside of the bumper area with tin foil to block the signal, or to deactivate the advanced key.

The factory didn't have a solution, & eventually Audi took the car back, as I wasn't prepared to accept the tin foil solution.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. VERY INTERESTING.

MY CAR IS WELL OUT OF ITS WARANTY SO THAT FIX IS OUT. i WILL TRY YOUR SECOND SUGGESTION THOUGH AND PUT SOME TIN FOIL  INSIDE BUMPER AREA TO SEE WHAT DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES.

THANKS AGAIN.

11 hours ago, Blueit said:

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. VERY INTERESTING.

MY CAR IS WELL OUT OF ITS WARANTY SO THAT FIX IS OUT. i WILL TRY YOUR SECOND SUGGESTION THOUGH AND PUT SOME TIN FOIL  INSIDE BUMPER AREA TO SEE WHAT DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES.

THANKS AGAIN.

No worries. Hope you get it sorted. I found it extremely frustrating.

8 hours ago, jdragon said:

I had this on my A5

Resolved by increasing the button press time to 2 seconds with VCDS

I think default was something like 600ms lol

Thanks for the tip.