Autumn/Winter job on my B6/B7 convertible - Oil pump drive

gsmdo

Hard to believe, with the thermometer currently showing 36°C, but one day it will get cooler and wetter. And when that day comes, I won't be so keen to drive the Convertible (which currently resides in my  garage with new bling, but an intake fault meaning it's not driveable)...

As a relative noob to the site, I have gradually been reading all the posts relating to my car (BPW engined 2.0TDi 140) - and was rather alarmed to read the 'stickied' post about the tendency of the hexagonal oil pump drive to fail - typically at around 130k miles.  Since my  car has around 107k miles, it is clearly in need of having this done, if only as a precaution.

What I wish I had done, was watched Gavin's excellent YouTube video before  I had the car in to do the flywheel and clutch, as I am sure it wouldn't have been too many hours more while the old girl had her undercarriage down, to add this to the list.

We are where we are. I've been quoted eight hours (at a very favourable rate) to do the job, as Norwich Audi says it involves removing the subframe and subsequently doing a four-wheel alignment to complete the job. To replace a part that costs under £10 dammit!

So - does eight hours sound about right? Regarding the hexagonal drive - I understand there are two versions (my buddy will get both parts in for me) - has anyone produced an aftermarket one that has better longevity (not that I expect to another 130k in the car - I'll be dead long before then... 😆)? But if there's a tungsten-carbide ceramic coated titanium version, made by blind Swiss nuns in a secret European mountainside factory, I might give it a look... 🤔

Comments welcome - the job will likely get done in October or November this year.

Cheers,

Mike 😎

Edited by gsmdo

1 hour ago, gsmdo said:

Hard to believe, with the thermometer currently showing 36°C, but one day it will get cooler and wetter. And when that day comes, I won't be so keen to drive the Convertible (which currently resides in my  garage with new bling, but an intake fault meaning it's not driveable)...

As a relative noob to the site, I have gradually been reading all the posts relating to my car (BPW engined 2.0TDi 140) - and was rather alarmed to read the 'stickied' post about the tendency of the hexagonal oil pump drive to fail - typically at around 130k miles.  Since my  car has around 107k miles, it is clearly in need of having this done, if only as a precaution.

What I wish I had done, was watched Gavin's excellent YouTube video before  I had the car in to do the flywheel and clutch, as I am sure it wouldn't have been too many hours more while the old girl had her undercarriage down, to add this to the list.

We are where we are. I've been quoted eight hours (at a very favourable rate) to do the job, as Norwich Audi says it involves removing the subframe and subsequently doing a four-wheel alignment to complete the job. To replace a part that costs under £10 dammit!

So - does eight hours sound about right? Regarding the hexagonal drive - I understand there are two versions (my buddy will get both parts in for me) - has anyone produced an aftermarket one that has better longevity (not that I expect to another 130k in the car - I'll be dead long before then... 😆)? But if there's a tungsten-carbide ceramic coated titanium version, made by blind Swiss nuns in a secret European mountainside factory, I might give it a look... 🤔

Comments welcome - the job will likely get done in October or November this year.

Cheers,

Mike 😎

Hi are they going to change the drive chain and sprockets as well.

Steve.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Steve.

OMG - there’s MORE? 😱😆

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Steve.

OK, I’ve done some searching and found this kit.

3476CD0D-4447-470A-B897-CDE5B2E7349A.thumb.jpeg.31b1b22d1b43d906d221d91f121870c5.jpeg

I assume this is the parts you mean Steve? Is there much more disassembly needed to fit it, do you know? Is it something that’s prone to failure?🤔

Mike 😎

Just been having an interesting text exchange with my mate at Norwich Audi. He makes a good point - that I can get a replacement engine for £1000 or so - he questions doing any of it. I think I'm still going to have hex-drive done, but that's all...😎

6 hours ago, gsmdo said:

Just been having an interesting text exchange with my mate at Norwich Audi. He makes a good point - that I can get a replacement engine for £1000 or so - he questions doing any of it. I think I'm still going to have hex-drive done, but that's all...😎

Hi £1000 or so sounds like a bargain plus gaskets, plus fitting, plus anything else they think needs replacing, the engine will be bare for that money why not spend a little extra now to maintain the longevity of your existing engine the kit is right that you have sourced and will remove any future worries, I can't think of any of my friends in the trade that would try and steer me towards a potential money pit, furthermore if the drive is a major strip down why not do the whole lot while you are in there, the nylon guides wear and the chain will have stretched.

Steve.

5 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi £1000 or so sounds like a bargain plus gaskets, plus fitting, plus anything else they think needs replacing, the engine will be bare for that money why not spend a little extra now to maintain the longevity of your existing engine the kit is right that you have sourced and will remove any future worries, I can't think of any of my friends in the trade that would try and steer me towards a potential money pit, furthermore if the drive is a major strip down why not do the whole lot while you are in there, the nylon guides wear and the chain will have stretched.

Steve.

So, here's the strange thing. He hasn't had to order a hex drive in as long as he can remember. This chap has been a mate of mine for 30yrs and isn't spinning me a line.

He was tongue in cheek about the cost of a replacement engine (to make me look at it pragmatically). Replacing the hex drive will be an expensive job. I understand that one has to make a value judgement on these things - the hex drive certainly has a lot of anecdotal evidence of failures, but I'm not convinced that the extra work (especially) and outlay on the chain and sprocket set is worthwhile given my low mileage use and the age of the car...

Sell me on the idea, Steve 😃 - I'm minded at the moment to just get the hex drive done...

Thanks,

Mike 😎

3 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

So, here's the strange thing. He hasn't had to order a hex drive in as long as he can remember. This chap has been a mate of mine for 30yrs and isn't spinning me a line.

He was tongue in cheek about the cost of a replacement engine (to make me look at it pragmatically). Replacing the hex drive will be an expensive job. I understand that one has to make a value judgement on these things - the hex drive certainly has a lot of anecdotal evidence of failures, but I'm not convinced that the extra work (especially) and outlay on the chain and sprocket set is worthwhile given my low mileage use and the age of the car...

Sell me on the idea, Steve 😃 - I'm minded at the moment to just get the hex drive done...

Thanks,

Mike 😎

Hi it all depends on how long you intend to keep the car, whats the advantage in spending money if you intend to sell it in the not to distant future, none, but the whole point of what I was saying whilst in expensive process mode why not replace the whole kit which brings me to the point of why he has never ordered a drive before, thats because most people buy a kit and get it done at the local independent, my guy I use has done loads of them mostly on the V engined Audis the kit from them is nearly £1800 but the Febi repair kits are about £300, its entirely your choice but from my logic why spend all that money to do half the job.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

So – it's wet and cold here in Norfolk  😃 - and I have just collected the convertible from Norwich Audi, after having the oil pump drive replaced.

spacer.png

Everything looked in good order once the sump was eventually removed (pics from my mate Kev)…

spacer.png

The drive was pretty worn…

spacer.png

…difficult to show in a pic…

spacer.png

…but I am really glad I got it done. I'm content that this should now be good for another 100k miles or so… 😎

spacer.png

Amazing how a small part could cause chaos if it failed…