Oil & Filter for 2.0TDi BPW Engine

gsmdo

Apologies if this has been beaten to death a hundred times before. I'm going to do an oil & filter change on the convertible next week, and thought that this from Halfords looked like the oil to use, being 5W-30 fully synthetic.

Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C3 Oil 4 Litre 224209

Their website says it isn't - and they don't sell anything that is? :confused1:

I am assuming that this is an error on their website (mostly because they say they don't sell an alternative), but I may be missing something here.

Also, I believe I need to order this filter:

61KxdiRQ5bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.

...rather than the shorter version with the tube sticking out of the top, for the BPW engine - is that correct?

71BIZvW61ZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've watched Gavin's excellent YouTube guide, but - although it's a 2.0TDi he's working on, I'm pretty sure it isn't a BPW...

All help appreciated,

Mike 😎

Hello Mike,

I’ve always favoured VAG recommended Quantum oil which you will just need to check it meets the spec. - I have used it in our 2006 A3 to good effect since out of warranty. 
I use their Longlife 3 variant, even though it’s changed annually. 
Readily available from a number of eBay sellers and almost certain? to be cheaper than anything from Halfords - and delivered to your door.

Filters? always only used Mann or Bosch if not using VAG ( which are probably Mann or Bosch anyway). Possibly old school principles, but I never seen any need to deviate from these brands so don’t! Again should be available on eBay from a number of sellers.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Gareth 👍—I've just ordered five litres of Quantum Longlife Three, for £28; and a new oil filter, fuel filter and sump plug (I change these most oil changes, as the VAG ones don't allow you to replace the crush washer), for £30.

There doesn't seem to be a YouTube guide to doing the oil filter on the BPW engine. I'll go into the garage tomorrow and measure the top of the container it sits in to see if I need to get a socket to fit.

I'll also do a search for how to swap the fuel filter (which is a full cartridge type, so should be fairly simple).

Updates on fitting these bits will be in the “Flashing Glow Plug light etc” thread.

This car is going to be serviced to within an inch of its life by the time this work is finished… 😆

Mike 😎

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

By what I understand, there isn’t a scheduled change for fuel filters on the petrol engined cars of our year - but I could be wrong. I change mine every four years, ( only 7K/a) but others might suggest other frequencies. 
For what it’s worth:- My regime on a 7K/ a mileage is Quantum Longlife every year, Oil filter every year, air and pollen filters every other year ( sometimes pollen more regularly). All filters are only Mann or Bosch - as said. 
All parts are bought on line at most competitive prices from reliable sellers - mainly eBay
Hope some of this might help.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Yep- I went back through the paperwork and couldn’t find a fuel filter change recorded. I felt it was about time, after 105k miles and 16yrs… 😆