Common rail switch

Corrie

My neighbour, who's a mechanic, thinks I have a tiny fuel leak in the common rail switch in my 2012 a3. I tend to get a smell.of fuel when I start the car up, and it's quite noticeable when I've come off the motorway. Is this a fix I can do, or is it a job for a mechanic?

1 hour ago, Corrie said:

My neighbour, who's a mechanic, thinks I have a tiny fuel leak in the common rail switch in my 2012 a3. I tend to get a smell.of fuel when I start the car up, and it's quite noticeable when I've come off the motorway. Is this a fix I can do, or is it a job for a mechanic?

Hi if its the metering solenoid or the pressure solenoid both are pretty easy to change about fifteen mins if you take your time, just don't over tighten the new one and obviously only change the one thats wet, whilst in there check the connector pipes to the injectors in case its one of them weeping.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Surely the mechanic neighbour who found the leak can also advise on its repair?

He just advised to get it checked when I take it into my usual mechanic. I don't like to bother the man too much when he's at home

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corrie said:

I don't like to bother the man too much when he's at home

I am the same.

My son works in an accident repair shop and he don't want to do the same thing in his down time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Corrie said:

He just advised to get it checked when I take it into my usual mechanic. I don't like to bother the man too much when he's at home

Thats the right attitude as if you badger the man at home its likely to get the wrong response.

• Like 1